Laptops forum

Question

Acer M5200 front USB ports not working Win 7 64 bit

by dcbabcd / January 12, 2015 12:16 AM PST

The Acer site is useless, I keep registering and it keeps asking to verify my emails. So I will go through this group and hopefully you can answer my questions. I have reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit on my Acer Aspire M5200 desktop. After installing and updating all the drivers I can find on the Acer site for this model, the front USB ports are not functioning.

Originally, this Acer Aspire came installed with 32-bit Vista. I have upgraded the OS to Windows 7 64-bit. There is some power going through the ports, but any USB media or device I plug into it is not recognized as a USB device through the four front USB ports, however, when the device is plugged into the back ports the devices recognized. I've installed these drivers:

AHCI AMD SATA AHCI Driver 3.1.1540.50

Chipset AMD Chipset Driver 7.15.11.7833 (I originally installed this chipset for my Windows 7 64-bit operating system from the Acer site)

When the front ports failed to recognize any USB devices, I then also installed this chipset: ATI Chipset Driver 8.632

In any case, the four front USB ports are still not recognizing any devices, while the back ports are.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer M5200 front USB ports not working Win 7 64 bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer M5200 front USB ports not working Win 7 64 bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I fix this with a simple USB HUB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 12:37 AM PST

USB HUBs are plentiful, cheap and can be velcro'd into place. Since it's not the stock OS it's unlikely anyone will answer from Acer without paid support. Why not solve this the usual way?
Bob

Collapse -
Front USB ports a North Bridge, chipset problem?
by dcbabcd / January 12, 2015 6:35 AM PST

Hi Bob, thanks very much for answering. The problem is that I am using all my rear ports presently, and I would prefer not to share ports through a hub. It was a shot in the dark as I realize that my Acer model is not that common but I was hoping someone has upgraded their OS from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Windows 7 has also come across this issue. Strange thing is that on the Acer site this model does support Windows 7 64-bit and I'm almost sure it is a North Bridge problem, so I assumed I solved it when I upgraded my chipset.

Collapse -
Then I plug in some USB PCI card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 7:09 AM PST

Still cheaper than a support call.

The only bridge issues I ever encounter are when folk can't do the post Windows driver work. I can't do this either since the Acer M5200 is a series and I found a dozen models. You could try checking your BIOS to see if all USB ports are enabled.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. I've yet to see anyone successfully upgrade 32 to 64bit
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 7:19 AM PST

There are tomes on the web about how Microsoft never implemented upgrades from/to 32/64 bit versions of Windows. Since we are discussing a fresh install of the OS, we get to deal with it as a clean install and all the troubles, that is, all the driver hunts get to be done.

Not only do you need the AMD chipset driver but what if there was some other USB driver specific to this model? Sorry but you supplied a model series so I can't go check the dozen models in that series.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!