General discussion

Acer LCD monitor issues

Hi everyone

I have recently bought a 19in acer AL1916W LCD monitor to set up a dual monitor system.
My other monitor is a samsung syncmaster.

The samsung is less then a year old while the acer is 4 years old. I bought the acer for $50 second hand. the samsung is brand new.

now when I set up the two monitors and there is a noticeable difference between the acer's brightness and samsung's brightness, the samsung being the brighter.

I believe that this difference can be attributed to the age of the Acer. Can anyone confirm that? And if so, is there any way to fix it.
I have already tried to adjust the settings on the acer and haven't seen much improvement.

Thanks everyone

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Acer LCD monitor issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Acer LCD monitor issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
re: LCD Monitor

The LCD monitor brightless depend on the CCFL tube inside the LCD monitor. For the low end / or cheap CCFL, after 1000 hours running and the CCFL may be dead or running in less of power too. So the brightless of the LCD monitor something relared to the CCFL. (Or course, the power inverter board also be a factor)

So some of the good brand LCD monitor even running for many year that still in good condition and some of the low cost model may cause problem.

Thanks

opendistroland

- Collapse -
re: lcd

so how long do you think this monitor has left? a guess will be fine.

- Collapse -
re: LCD Monitor

Cannot guess. Even the lighting is not so bright. The LCD still alive for few days. But it may be look like not so good. If your monitor in China. There is some repair shop to help you to replace the CCFL tube, power invertor and clean the front plastic for inside and outside too. It is nearly 99% as new after they rebuild for you.

- Collapse -
This is largely correct

This is largely correct, though there are usually multiple backlights in a monitor, and mounted in such a way that in the cheaper monitors you'll often see the edges start to go before anything else. The thing is, florescent bulbs don't tend to slowly fade, they tend to just die one day, much like incandescent. One day it'll be working, the next it won't.

Newer displays take advantage of improvements in LCD panel tech. Improving the contrast ratio is a big one. The higher the contrast ratio, the more shades the display can show between white (all colors combined on computers) and black (the absence of color on computers), which covers the whole rainbow spectrum. The higher the contrast ratio, the more white whites will seem, and the same with all other colors, giving the illusion of brightness. Even though if you measured their actual luminosity, it would likely not be that much different.

Typically though, backlights just die one day. You might be working along, everything's fine, then "poof" there goes your display.

You might also want to update your info to reflect the growing number of LED backlit displays. They primarily seem to be going into large screen TVs lately where you'd want a more even backlighting instead of having the edges being significantly darker than the rest of the display, but they are also common in higher end laptop displays. I paid extra to get one in my Dell Studio 17 laptop.

To the OP: There's no telling how long your Acer monitor may last. It could die 5 minutes from now, it could last another 10 years. There's a lot of variability in things like that. You could probably find a MTF (Mean Time to Failure) figure, which gives you an average lifespan of the those displays, but I suspect you've already lucked out and gotten one that's on the far right of the bell curve. You say you paid $50 for it 4 years ago, and it seems to still be going strong. Enjoy it, because that is very much the exception, not the rule.

CNET Forums