Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Acer laptops - what's the difference between the major U.S.

by springchild74 / November 8, 2004 12:09 PM PST

companies such as IBM, HP?

I am the first time notebook buyer and I was in the process of determining which one is the best for me. I was almost about to make up my mind on IBM thinkpad R51 when - I noticed the similarly featured laptop is sold $500 less from Acer! Despite great features, Cnet hasn't given it any awards or "editor's pick" so the information about those machines are basically scarce - in the very beginning I was really leaning toward Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, Fujitsu etc. as they are from my country (Japan) and I get a little patriotic vent about this,but heard that the service in the U.S. is horrendous so I gave up on it - how is Acer with regard to this? Is Acer a Chinese company? Do they have a good service? Any resource to find out more about the company and its products, and its user ratings etc.?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer laptops - what's the difference between the major U.S.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer laptops - what's the difference between the major U.S.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Acer laptops - what's the difference between the major U
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 12:13 AM PST

Springchild,

Each user will have their favorite and may give you differing advise based on their experiences. For example, our agency has used Panasonic, HP's and Toshiba's. They've generally worked well, but our type of use may be different than your's. Use any information you get but make sure to do some research on your own. A good research tool is the Google search engine. Click on the link below, type in "Acer.com" (or anything else for that matter), then research the product, the company, and anything that you want. (Acer has headquarters all over the world including Taiwan, Malaysia, Switzerland, and the U.S.)

http://www.google.com/

When it comes to support, something local will normally be the easiest to deal with. Find a company, or local shop, near you and check their references.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Acer laptops - what's the difference between the major U
by sewnsew / November 9, 2004 9:31 PM PST

My first desktop computer was an ACER about 9 years ago. I got a very very good buy and was very satisfied with the machine. The tech support at that time was excellent. Then the company decided to pull out of the US market and is very big in other countries. The one thing I thought was terrific about the company, now this was few years back, I bought their protection program after my year was up.was Whenever I had a problem with their hardware they replaced the item. Brand new stuff. But now you might think twice. I just got a Dell laptop. My complaint with that company is they use all outsource tech and you have problems understanding each other. Some are good some are a nightmare to deal with. Sign of the times tho. Sigh

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.