Computer Help forum

General discussion

Acer Empowering Technology question.

by samusgravity / November 9, 2007 2:19 AM PST

I have an Acer Aspire laptop with Vista, so it comes with Acer's "empowering technology" suite that is a serious space hogger on your hard drive. I know that this is a system app, but can I delete it? And is it safe to delete it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Empowering Technology question.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Empowering Technology question.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Really. I have this and found it to not take up space.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 2:55 AM PST

So what space did you find it to take up?

I wonder if you are including some backup OS image since the actual app is not much bigger than much else today.

Collapse -
About 2 GB
by samusgravity / November 9, 2007 3:00 AM PST

It takes about 2 GB in all. I just want to free up some space!

Collapse -
Here it's under a few hundred meg.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: About 2 GB

I haven't looked at it in months. I bet you are included some items it backs up. Maybe some deeper inspection is needed but feel free to toss it once you have your system image backed up since inside this app is your backup and restore...

Collapse -
by samusgravity / November 9, 2007 5:22 AM PST

I have never backed up anything on Acer empowering tech. When I say 2 GB, this includes all of these apps:
Acer eLock
Acer eNet
Acer eRecovery
Acer eSettings
Acer ePresentation
And Acer eEnergy

Anyway, Should I just delete them through Windows "Uninstall or Remove", or should I use a special program to delete them?

Collapse -
Now remove ERECOVERY from your total.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Ok

That includes your restore files... Which I feel you shouldn't be without.

Remember I have a pair of Acers to compare. I won't do all your work for you but can look and compare.

Collapse -
Ok fine... But I have another question
by samusgravity / November 9, 2007 6:17 AM PST

Ok... You are right! The only reason that I want to get rid of it is because my Hard drive is only 80 GB, plus it is separated into 32GB partitions. This means that my space is limited!!! But I understand your point. I actually have another question: Do you know any good free software allowing me to "fuse" my two partitions into one? I know that this is sort of off topic, but I don't think that there is any need to post a new forum!

Thank you!

Collapse -
AFTER you backup...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 8:14 AM PST

You can research use of Partition Magic or GPARTED. One of our acers is split 30-30 on a 60GB drive. For us this is a non-issue since it's used to run presentations. I didn't check the other...

Glad you are dissecting the estuff on your own. Saves me a lot of time.

Collapse -
One FINAL thing
by samusgravity / November 9, 2007 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: AFTER you backup...

Thank you for your help! I am a novice at this partitioning thing, so I will go with Norton's Partition Magic. Now what do you mean by "backup"? Do you mean use Windows backup utility, or acer's backup utility?(laugh)
Once again,thanks!!!

Collapse -
I mean a backup of the DISK IMAGE!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: One FINAL thing

Something you can put back if it goes all south.

Look up G4U on google. "It's what I use." After the backup, look up GPARTED.

Collapse -
Anything "Simpler"
by samusgravity / November 9, 2007 11:44 AM PST

As I said,I am a novice at these sort of things! Is there any backup program that is easier to use?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?