Storage forum

General discussion

Acer/Benq firmware update screwed up drive

by Sammy7 / February 15, 2004 6:40 PM PST

I have an Acer 2010A CD-RW drive with firmware version H.DF

I recnetly flashed the firmware from Version H.DF to H.PF which is the latest on Benq.com site.

Although the flasing went well, and a "successful" msg was displayed at the end of the process, after re-starting my computer, the drive now no longer detects any CD's placed in it. It acts as though there is no CD in the drive (except for one miracle Cd that has my mobo's drivers !!!!!).

I am using Win XP with SP1. The drive powers up upon the PC starting, but simply does not read/detect any cd placed in it, even those burned by the drive. I am sure this issue relates to the firmware upgrade, as the drive worked well just before the flash.
Reason for the flash was, when an SVCD CD is made with this drive, it was not possible to erase the CD anymore !!! the 2010 drive seems incapable of reading a SVCD disk after it makes it !!!

Grtfl for any help, or a copy of the older firmware version H.DF to return the drive to its original version.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer/Benq firmware update screwed up drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer/Benq firmware update screwed up drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does it show in the BIOS? And...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2004 11:52 PM PST

Did you power down and pull that AC cord?

Another person went a week trying things. Pulling the power to the unit "fixed" it. It wasn't broken...

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Does it show in the BIOS? And...
by Sammy7 / February 16, 2004 3:38 AM PST

Yup the drive shows up in Bios and is identified correctly on the startup screen as being on the MAster Secondary IDE.

Tryed pulling the plug for 10 mins, but still no hope.

My feeling is that another version of the firmware is required (probably an older one) but Acer/Benq dont seem to keep archieves on the website.

Any Ideas?

Collapse -
2 items...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 3:56 AM PST

CD/DVD drives DO VANISH if the user uninstalls CDRW software. Here's the drill (don't hurt yourself):
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=270008

Drive letters can vanish in Explorer for too many reasons. I use a command prompt to sniff out that one.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Does it show in the BIOS? And...
by Sammy7 / February 16, 2004 4:42 AM PST

Yup the drive shows up in Bios and is identified correctly on the startup screen as being on the MAster Secondary IDE.

Tryed pulling the plug for 10 mins, but still no hope.

My feeling is that another version of the firmware is required (probably an older one) but Acer/Benq dont seem to keep archieves on the website.

Any Ideas?

Collapse -
Re:Acer/Benq firmware update screwed up drive
by Sammy7 / February 17, 2004 5:07 PM PST

Hi again,

tryed all the above, still no hope.

What I have noticed however, is only when a finalized CD is inserted into the drive, it is detected, any unfinalized CD's or blank Cd's are not detected !!!

any ideas??

Collapse -
That's a great clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2004 9:37 PM PST

It's entirely possible that you have been "whammied" by this update and the CD recording software which was bundled with the drive now thinks the drive is not a valid model for it to be used on.

I do have a test for such.

If the machine is the usual setup with 2 DVD/CD drive units, I'll boot a KNOPPIX CD in the DVD/other drive and use K3b (the cd-recording software) to test record some files. If that works, then I know it's just another one of those stories about bundled or out of date CD recording software.

Reference at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?