Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Acer Aspire Running Extremely Slow

by jwells02 / September 14, 2012 1:11 AM PDT

I have a desktop Acer Aspire that was running extremely slow. I did the factory restore to set it back to the originl factory settings and it is still extremely slow. Can someone tell me what to look for?

jwells02 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire Running Extremely Slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire Running Extremely Slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jwells02

Collapse -
Did you clean it out?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2012 1:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Acer Aspire Running Extremely Slow
by jwells02 / September 14, 2012 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you clean it out?

It would do it right from startup so the computer was cool. I did a total restore from the retore partition figuring there was a virus and the same thing. Maybe a virus at the boot block. I managed to boot off a Windows disk, even that was giving me grief, into cmd. I deleted the partitions, created a new single partition and in the process of formatting it now. I can already tell a big difference in the speed, given I'm still in cmd I still really don't know. I'll be loading Windows 7 shortly and I'll let you know what I find. Thank you for the responses.

Collapse -
Acer Aspire
by jwells02 / September 14, 2012 8:56 AM PDT

OK more fun - formatted ok but wiped the recovery partition on it. Formatted it as one large partion and tried to load from disk both Windows 7 and Vista Ulitimate. Runs very fast as I start the setup but then says I need to load a driver it can't find on the CD to continue setup. Any idea what that's about?

Collapse -
Nothing is wrong with that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2012 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Acer Aspire

The retail issues of Windows do not have the machine's drivers. Acer provides those.

It's why most folk will install from the restore media they created when they got there machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Resolved
by jwells02 / September 19, 2012 2:15 AM PDT

It must have been a virus in the boot block. I totally wiped the drive including the Windows restore drive because when I tried to restore Windows I had the same problem. Even during the restore process. I reloaded WIndows 7 and runs fast as ever. Thanks for the responses.

Collapse -
help me
by barmieb / May 16, 2015 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you clean it out?

my acer is a z5700 and it keeps running really slow and getting very hot any suggestions Mischief

Collapse -
Yes. Start with the basics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2015 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: help me

Increase your monthly canned air cleaning to daily for a week. Then go weekly and in in 2 months back to your regular 1st or the month routine.

Get a laptop cooling pad too.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Slow
by pgc3 / September 14, 2012 1:56 AM PDT

By slow are you alluding to the internet? If it is running slowly hooked up(internet), what happens when you disconnect or unplug from router? assuming you are hardwired. Does it open programs normally? As Bob Proffit said, it could be a myriad of issues, including hardware, cleaning and maintenance. If computer function quickens when disconnected from the net there may be a different tale to tell and at that point I would be suspicious of something other than computer hardware.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!