Linux forum

General discussion

Acer Aspire One trouble please help

you see we have a notebook thats linux, acer aspire one, color white Grin intel atom...... I have a problem with the network. Our lower tool bar disappeared(contains the shut down/restart buttons, network button, battery info, etc) and whenever i click the icon of netwrk in the settings nothing happens. it does not hung or anything. but it does not connct to the net. i tried to use wifi and cable and still nothing happend. and there's this small toolbar which i could drag anywhere. it has a sun like/ star like symbol and nothing happens whenever i click it. when i hover, there's this note saying "new item.. not yet configured".

i've not yet installed any programs/softwares. what happened was when i turned it off then on, i cant access the net from then on.
so, please help me to fix this.

BEFORE, ive installed something and some prob happened... so i think they boot it then everything went normal..,, it was the first prob and was fixed... then we used the nbook..,, used it , used it,, and its still fine until the day the sunlike/star like symbol in the middle of a toolbar like appeared...,,

PLEASE TELL ME HOW I CAN I FIX IT..,, MY LAST CHOICE IS TO BOOT IT MYSELF(if that is what it is called...) to reset everything back to its factory somthing format..,,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire One trouble please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire One trouble please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ideas.

In reply to: Acer Aspire One trouble please help

1. On the front right of the unit is a slide switch to turn off and on the wifi. Try it.

2. I do not have Linpus installed so I can't comment exactly.

3. Reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linpus_Linux I find links to this OS's home page. Maybe some support groups?

4. If I made my restore media I might try http://manurevah.com/blah/en/linux/kubuntu-aspire-one.php next time.

-> The lesson about Linux based laptops is to keep your files backed up as support is going to be a little light.
Bob

Collapse -
Contact technicall support here:

http://www.linpus.com/help_1.php

If you still want support from me say so. Grin
Ok at first just try to find bash terminal I even do not imagine how that Linpus interface looks. Try something like ctrl+alt+F2 if it works write here we can continue.
Collapse -
Star Shaped Symbol

In reply to: Contact technicall support here:

Hi there - I am having exactly the same problem as described in the original post. Was any solution determined?

Cheers

Rob

Collapse -
You are with that Linpus distro too?

In reply to: Star Shaped Symbol

You are with that infamous Linpus distro too?
It would be wise to chose something more popular and probably better:
http://distrowatch.com/
As you see Linpus is not in top 20 most popular Linux/BSD distributions I suggest to chose something from top 10 or top 20.

Somehow If you still want to stick with Linpus jost say I will try to help then. I use Fedora on my PC and Linpus is based on it. Wink

Collapse -
Is more about

Desktop Environment. What do you use? KDE, GNOME, LXDE...

For example, on KDE the bottom bar just shifts to the right. Right click on the desktop for the settings. Other move the mouse to the right lower corner and see if it shifts to the left. I think Ctrl+Arrow key (left or right) might make it show. Depends of the distro, the developers tweak the OS.

Collapse -
help

have you managed to fix this problem i havethe exact same problem but i cant find a way to fix it.

Collapse -
i think solution is reinstall other Linux distribution

In reply to: help

Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.