HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

Question

Acer Aspire One - Stuck in a Checking file system on C: loop

by kirkhill / April 16, 2011 9:13 PM PDT

When I try to start my notebook I get the blue screen "Checking file system on C:(File system is FAT32) It goes through the process (Volume serial number is EEAE-8C9A in case that means something to anyone!) until it's 100% checked, the message then is windows found problems which it could not fix, soory it flashes up on the screen only for a second and I can't replicate here all of what it says. I then get the blue screen of death for a nano second and don't get enough time to see what it saysbut the last message is Error in writing the output log. It then tries to start but goes back to the checking file system process again and so on. I can't start it safe mode or safe mode with prompt.

Running Windows XP, just got an additional 1G of Ram added (now 2G) but it did work after that, so I don't know that's the problem.
I'm not technically minded so I guess I'll need to take it to a shop but if anyone has experienced this and knows what the problem is or how to solve it that would be great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire One - Stuck in a Checking file system on C: loop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire One - Stuck in a Checking file system on C: loop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: checking file system loop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 16, 2011 9:27 PM PDT

What you might be able to do yourself:
1. Get the hard disk out.
2. Connect it to another PC using a USB2 to IDE/SATA-cable
3. Run chkdsk on that disk on that other PC and see if it can be repaired.
4. If not, while still on that other PC, delete the partition and create a new one.

If successful so far, put it back in your PC and reinstall Windows XP via the 'back to factory conditions' method as described by Acer.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by kirkhill / April 17, 2011 2:54 AM PDT

Thanks Kees but getting the hard disk out would I think be beyond my capabilities, the shop it is then!

Collapse -
Answer
acer aspire one
by frj2053 / May 3, 2011 9:08 PM PDT

It is possible that one of the memory modules are bad. I had a simular problem with my desktop and traced back to one of the memory modules. Changed it and it works fine. I suggest that you remove one module at a time and try to restart the computer.

Collapse -
Answer
Try a system Restore
by Saffyre / May 6, 2011 10:14 AM PDT

Try a system Restore.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.