Computer Help forum

Question

Acer Aspire M3450 Runs Hot

by GratisShark / November 3, 2014 7:42 AM PST

Hello! My computer is running too hot and I'm wondering if it's the fan. Specifically, the motherboard temperature is what actually is high. I notice that it looks like it may be turning rather slowly but I'm not sure if that's what it is. At times, it's exceeding 60 Degrees Celsius. I can upload a picture of the temperature if you all tell me how or where to do that. I don't know if I can simply oil the fan shaft or I need to replace the fan entirely.

I'd appreciate any assistance. Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire M3450 Runs Hot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire M3450 Runs Hot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Canned air and thermal paste?
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 3, 2014 7:51 AM PST

When was the last time?
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
That's about right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2014 7:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Advantages of Lower Temp?
by GratisShark / November 5, 2014 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: That's about right.

Thank you both for your feedback. After reading the information you provided, I feel a bit better. My next question however, is about running the system at a cooler temperature anyway. Wouldn't it be beneficial to run it colder rather than hotter?

It's been my experience that electronic components tend to wear out faster if they are run at warmer temperatures, but I could be wrong. My knowledge of electronics is rather ancient, given the speed of advancement in the industry. I got my education on the subject in the 80s and 90s so perhaps it just doesn't apply any longer.

I don't know; I trust you all to share your knowledge which I am sure is more contemporary than mine. Thank you so much guys!

Collapse -
dust
by renegade600 / November 5, 2014 5:23 AM PST

you can always open the case and make sure it is dust free. dust will make the computer hotter. If there is room in the case, you can always add an addition fan. Also the location makes a difference. Make sure the computer is out in the open where there is good air flow.

Collapse -
Dust & Location
by GratisShark / November 5, 2014 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: dust

Thanks for that Renegade. I do keep the interior clean and the computer in an open area. I even have an air conditioning unit only a few feet from it for when it's hot in the house, which is not often since I have the central air set to a cool temp.

The fan on the motherboard looks to be running strong but I'm a bit worried about the one mounted to the back of the case. If you stop it manually, you have to spin it up with your finger to get it started again. I don't know if you can oil the shaft so I haven't tried that. If you guys think it's alright to do that, I can give it a try maybe.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!