Question

acer aspire inexpensive way to resolve a damaged screen?

hi,
my laptop fell and the screen got completely ruined! its not cracked on the outside but behind the glass the display is pointless. i can't see anything. but it turns on and starts up as normal.

what should i do? do i try to get it fixed or will it be cheaper if i end up buying a new mini notebook? i have a lot of stuff i need on it...

its an acer aspire one.
thank you. in advance for all helpful suggestions, advice, and links.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: acer aspire inexpensive way to resolve a damaged screen?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: acer aspire inexpensive way to resolve a damaged screen?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: screen

The costs depend on:
(a) the price of a new screen
(b) your technical abilities: can you replace it yourself or do have to bring it to a repair shop

I'm afraid it's best to buy a new netbook, but then I didn't ask the shop.

Kees

- Collapse -
cracked screen solution

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">hey, thanks for your help! <span>if worse comes to worse and its more sensible to get a whole new one Plain Sad should i consider tablets, are they better? what are the pros and cons about that, if you know...?

thanks.

- Collapse -
Answer
Costs

You've answered you're own question, buy another netbook or repair. If repair exceeds 50% of value of new, then get new. If new makes you feel better, get that. The data can be had, if HD(storage unit), remove and swap over via a ext. case or buy "exact similar laptop" and swap storage and treat it as nothing happened(hopefully). You could shop around for used netbook of same model# and go from there -OR- repair if costs are reasonable.

Netbook and laptop are really two different PCs, so be sure what can be done. Even though the terms are interchangeable, the PCs aren't when it comes to repair needs in some areas.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
cracked display screen

hey, thanks for your help!
if worse comes to worse and its more sensible to get a whole new one Sad Plain should i consider tablets, are they better? what are the pros and cons about that, if you know...?

- Collapse -
Re: tablet versus laptop

That really depends on your needs. For example, yesterday in one the forums there was a member that needed Flash to listen to his favorite net radio stations, and - with all the 100,000+ nice Android apps that exist for this nice new $500 Gallaxy tab, it didn't run Flash so he had to return it.

So if that "stuff" you need, needs Windows, you have to buy one of those equally nice new Windows 8 Surface tablets in November. Those are much more expensive than the average netbook.

Kees

- Collapse -
Also ...

"tablet" can mean a lot of different things. For example,http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-decide-should-you-buy-a-big-kindle-fire-hd-or-an-ipad-7000003933/?s_cid=e539 discusses the differences between an iPad and the Kindle.

But, depending on your needs, all YOU need might be a kids tablet like http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13044616 . Why pay more if you don't need it?

In the case of netbooks you have to choose between Windows and Android and different screen sizes, but all together, the variety is somewhat less than with tablets.

Kees

- Collapse -
thanks for your help kees!

i ended up replacing the screen.

- Collapse -
Laptops tend to do better

Laptop vs tablet, it's more of Swiss Army knife vs a plain old pocket knife. While both may di certain things well and maybe better than the other, laptop tend to be more open to improvement and/or tasks. tablets are good if what your needs fall within its limits and that's can be easily reached, while a laptop can more helpful, plus it tends to be better at storage. I would pick a laptop any day to a tablet. The tablet may have more glitz but when it comes to real work its beats it for now. Considering newer laptops are basically just like tablets and they fold to protect the screen. Shocked

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
thanks for your help willy!

i ended up replacing the screen.

CNET Forums