Computer Help forum

General discussion

Acer Aspire E380 - Monitor Does Not Transmit Signal

Hello! Has anyone else experienced this kind of trouble? It seems that the computer itself (CPU) properly powers up, and the monitor and all its attaching cables have been verified as functional, via connection with another computer.

Some history that might be relevant: the computer was manufactured 12/21/2006 and was originally outfitted with Windows Vista Home Premium. My father erased that OS and downgraded it to XP. Some time later the computer stopped sending signals to the monitor. It has been over a year now since the whole setup quit functioning.

Any clues on where to start the trouble-shooting process?

Many thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire E380 - Monitor Does Not Transmit Signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire E380 - Monitor Does Not Transmit Signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Reseating The Video Card?

In reply to: Acer Aspire E380 - Monitor Does Not Transmit Signal

.. A lot of simple things to start with as long as you've verified the monitor is actually functioning. Although you've confirmed that the monitor was functioning correctly, have you tried swapping in a known good monitor to the tower just to make sure it's not a monitor issue?

I would still try swapping in a different video connection cable just to be sure... Open the case and if it's a standard video card, make sure the card is seated correctly by removing it, then putting back in the slot. Check to make sure any secondary power cables are connected to the card, if there are any.,,, or if it's an integrated video device, you may want to swap in a known good video card..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Will Do

In reply to: Tried Reseating The Video Card?

Thanks for your extremely swift and informative response.

I'm looking into aquiring a known good monitor and video connection cable. Hopefully the issue is that simple. I'm prepared to open the case up to investigate the video card if I need to, but, for fear of my slippery fingers and more slippery computer knowledge, I'm going to avoid that if I can.

You may see me back on this thread quite soon!

Collapse -
Monitor/video

Did he install ALL of the drivers when he did the OS change? Sounds as if you are missing the video drivers.

Collapse -
How to check?

In reply to: Monitor/video

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that he'll remember what he did, but I'll interrogate him about it when I get the chance.

In the meantime, how would I solve that problem/make sure the appropriate drivers are installed if I can't see anything that's going on in the computer via moniter output?

Collapse -
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

In reply to: How to check?

Doing so bypasses specific video drivers and makes use of the generic
VGA driver for the video chipset.

Can you see ANYTHING on the monitor as the computer begins booting (can you access the BIOS)? If the answer is no to both it is most likely that the video card itself is bad.

Collapse -
Completely Blank

In reply to: Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

Hi Edward, thank you for your help! The monitor shows absolutely nothing when it is connected to the Acer tower, so I presume there's a problem with the video card itself. Considering I'd never heard of a "video card" before this episode, I think I'm in for the long haul. I'll crack the tower open for a peek. Now, the only trouble is being able to recognize what looks right vs. what needs fixing.

Collapse -
fail to POST?

It seems from the symptoms that it could be a number of things -- if you see nothing ever on the monitor, not even the power on self test, then it could be video, or could be something else (main board, RAM, CPU, power-supply).

See if the monitor is working on a diff computer (laptop or desktop).
and/or see if a diff monitor works on the computer.

Trouble-shooting is a bunch of "not this" until you find what's the culprit.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.