Laptops forum

Question

Acer aspire dropping internet signal

by willysjkjroberts / February 19, 2014 1:47 AM PST

Hi, my daughter's aspire which she is trying to use for her college studdies/cources is constantly dropping the internet signal. She needs to have a working PC and is so frustrated with this issue that I'm afraid she may loose her drive to stay in college. Not there yet by any means but her frustration level is maxed out. My problem is we are single income family with limited means or I would simply go and buy another machine in a heartbeat. I have called Acer and they will not budge from their letter of the law of their warrantee statement no matter how much I plead so to speak or tug at their heart strings. Not something I am accustomed to doing. The unit was purchased in Aug of 2013 so it is under acers time limit for warrantee work unfortuneately. As soon as it gets to the secondary warrantee it moves to a more humane group of people but they also will not take charge until that time. I have also asked for help from the store manager where it was purchased, still waiting on that avenue.
Sorry for the long letter here.
So, she needs a PC for college daily, she can't be without one obviously if this is how they teach and record school work now a days.I understand....7-10 business days would cripple her without a PC for that length of time.
MY question to you experts is, is this a problem that can be fixed without sending the PC in for repair?? Is there a fix that she can do externally speaking? I am not a computer friendly individual at all, I'm a mechanical eng. who can't deal with the unseen.....electronics is just that to me. sorry...lol.

The service I am finding from this company is just something I can fathom or understand concidering the circumstances surround it.
I am hoping you can help solve this problem for my daughter....thanks for your time....again sorry to take so long to tell her story.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer aspire dropping internet signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer aspire dropping internet signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 2:00 AM PST

I see you cross posted so I'll be short.

1. Use another WiFi dongle. These run 20 or less dollars so here's one I carry to stand in for cranky onboard/laptop Wifi.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037G2BMY/

I like this one as for Vista and 7, no drivers to install.

2. Get wired. WiFi is full of issues/interference and finding support is expensive.

3. Get a Chromebook. The office here picked them up for 170 bucks off woot.com and I must admit I'm surprised how well they work.
Bob

Collapse -
4. Malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: Ideas.

Just last week and this is anecdotal information a few cranky wifi laptops were cured by removing all malware/spyware with Grif's advice at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5509131.html?tag=posts;msg5509131 along with ADWCLEANER from same site.

I can't help but comment that support rarely covers malware issues, in fact I'm going with they never cover that in any normal warranty.

At least a Chromebook seems immune to such things.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?