HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

Question

Acer Aspire 7740g 6969 not starting up

by acerhlpme / August 4, 2012 1:12 PM PDT

I have an Acer Aspire 7740g 6969, which was working perfectly fine until this evening.

I used it this morning, it was working great and shut down normally.

8 hours later, when I tried to start it up, it didnt work.

I had it plugged in and a fully charged battery attached to it, yet it wouldnt start up. There are no lights and I do not hear any sounds from the inside.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I use my laptop for school, and I need it working soon. The local laptop repair shop will not be open till monday.

ty

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire 7740g 6969 not starting up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire 7740g 6969 not starting up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try that generic reset?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 1:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
generic reset
by acerhlpme / August 4, 2012 11:23 PM PDT

i just tried it. it doesnt work. there are still no lights on the front of the laptop or any kind of sound.

Collapse -
Can you measure the volts of the adapter?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: generic reset

(use a Volt Meter)

Collapse -
No lights etc. L/T
by pgc3 / August 5, 2012 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: generic reset

Usually, in that circumstance and having attempted the generic reset, to no avail, my first suspicion would be the power inverter (adapter) might have failed. What you might have thought was a fully charged battery may not have been. If you don't have a volt ohm meter, take the unit to a radio shack or some such and have them do a simple output check on the adapter, that will at least eliminate one possibility.

Collapse -
adapter volt
by acerhlpme / August 5, 2012 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: No lights etc. L/T

I have checked out the volts on the adapter, its 19.5 or 19.9. I was told it is working well

I was also told it might be the motherboard problem and I have to replace my motherboard

but I'm not sure if thats correct. I would like to reiterate that the laptop doesnt work even when my battery is in (which was fully charged as of yesterday morning, and I have not used it since)

I was thinking it might be solely a power problem, but I have no idea. Is there any way I can check if its definitely a motherboard problem? I am really hoping that I do not have to replace the motherboard.

(ps. I took it to a store, and the man there said the laptop doesnt work with any adapter; with or without a battery)

Collapse -
Look at what parts are in those laptops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: adapter volt

There's the battery, adapter and the laptop. Inside the laptop you see only a few parts if we count the number of boards and skip cables and such.

Given it can be the motherboard why not unplug all RAM, drives and wifi cards and try one last time?
Bob

Collapse -
motherboard
by acerhlpme / August 5, 2012 6:10 AM PDT

ehhh I'm not so good with dismantling laptops so I would rather not risk taking it apart and not knowing how to put it back together. And I wouldn't know which is which inside there.
I still do think it is a power supply problem, because I never had any BSOD or any type of lag or startup problems prior to this. Any thoughts on if it really is a motherboard problem?
And any other suggestions on how to check what the source of the problem is?

I just got a call from the shop, and they said to replace the motherboard would cost 400 or 425 USD. Now is that a reasonable quote or am I being taken for a ride?

Collapse -
other solutions?
by acerhlpme / August 5, 2012 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: motherboard

I have done some researching online and I've found another person with the similar problem.

I think I forgot to mention that none of my LED lights were turning on.

The suggestion on another website is to reinsert the RAM and then to replace the BIOS battery

are there any opinions on whether this would actually help?

Collapse -
You seem to be wishing for good news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: motherboard
Collapse -
warranty
by acerhlpme / August 5, 2012 8:57 AM PDT

the warranty did expire, much to my dismay.

do you think reinserting the ram or replacing the bios battery would help?

from what i can find online, it could really be a motherboard problem :/

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: warranty

But given the story I see no reason not to try it. However this is not for everyone. They have to make a choice if they want to try or leave it to the repair shop.

Too bad you didn't tell if the power jack was loose.
Bob

Collapse -
power jack
by acerhlpme / August 5, 2012 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

yeah, i had it looked at. it wasn't loose

i also tried reinserting the ram. it didnt work.

Collapse -
Then you've completed the basics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: power jack

Be sure to get estimates on this since it can run as much as a new laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by acerhlpme / August 6, 2012 10:15 AM PDT

alright bob thanks

Collapse -
Any websites that sell motherboards?
by acerhlpme / August 6, 2012 10:23 AM PDT

do you recommend any websites that do sell motherboards?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.