Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Acer Aspire 6920 wont boot!!

by adrijan3 / December 21, 2008 3:57 AM PST

Hi! I'm new here. First of all I'm from Slovenia so forgive me for my english =) I hope you'll understand me anyway Silly
I read almost everything about this problem on this forum but I can't find a solution for my problem.. I have this computer for sometime now and ofcourse it came with Vista Home Premium. It worked ok until last night. I start it up, everything was Ok, I copied one movie to an usb so I could watch it with my dvd player (I do this almost every night) =). Then I shut it down and still everything was ok. Until I started it this morning. The screen is black and there is a mouse icon - which can be moved around. At the time when you're suppose to log in there is no log in just black screen. I downloaded system repair but it doesn't find anything I can't even restore it to a time before the crash, I cant run anything at the list, just the first one and there's no effect. I tried to shut it down and start it up again for I don't know - 10 times?? But nothing would help. I read the familiar (I know I mispealed that and that too =)) topics but can't do anything. I would rather install Windows once again but I can't because of the important documents. I even tried the safe mode and all the rest options but every single time there's a black screen.. Please help me cause I don't know what to do. Thank you in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire 6920 wont boot!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire 6920 wont boot!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's plugged into the USB ports?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 10:57 AM PST

A now poorer owner took it in many times (120 bucks per visit) to a local shop. They reloaded the OS but that wasn't it.

They had something plugged into the USB and that was the source of their boot failures.

I helped them find it and we cured it with a 8 buck USB 2.0 hub.
Bob

Collapse -
Tnx for the reply =)
by adrijan3 / December 22, 2008 1:28 PM PST

hy! Yes I read that a couple of times on this forum. Then I remembered that I transfered a movie to the USB and then shuted down the computer. Could that be the reason? But what can I do now? The computer wont start even though the USB is not in it and no other device is connected through the usb. I tried to start it with and without the usb but nothing works. Because before I shut it down I took the usb out. So now I can't even unplugge it (if you know what I mean)..

Collapse -
Not that I'm the suspicious type
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: Tnx for the reply =)

But I've found those that copy movies often run Limewire or other such software that can harbor some nasty. For those machines we try the Vista repair features that our makers give us then we go into "data recovery mode" to copy what files they can't lose out then reload the OS.

We love the P2P users since they have kept our techs well employed. Not that I suspect this is your issue but you did write you copied a movie.
Bob

Collapse -
Data recovery wont work
by adrijan3 / December 25, 2008 8:06 PM PST

Hello again =)

I tried data recover but it doesn't find anything wrong and I can't even set it back to time when everything was ok, because there's no date avalable (jao =)) or updates so I could start it back from that time. About movies.. I don't use LimeWire =)

Collapse -
Here's the other titles.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2008 11:48 PM PST

It was interesting that a recent post had the member deny using Limewire but they didn't get the hint that P2P software in general is a sign. Here's the other titles we know of. The member seemed to want us to guess what they used rather than tell.

BC, AllPeers, Vuze (formerly Azureus), BitComet, BitLord, BitTornado, BitTorrent, Burst!, Deluge, FlashGet, G3 Torrent, Halite, KTorrent, LimeWire, MLDonkey, Opera, QTorrent, rTorrent, Shareaza, TorrentFlux, Transmission, Tribler,

Collapse -
My Acer Laptop Went Black Same Time As All Vista Users
by pneumahagion / December 27, 2008 4:10 AM PST

This is obviously not a problem any of us caused. I keep my antivirus up to date, and run degfrags on a schedule, and am carefull as possible with not running to many apps so as not to strain the AMD Athalon Dual 1.7 processor. I read alot of the other posts and Vista users are not happy, and I thought I would get used to it and eventually appreciate it.....but NO! I think it is the worst thing Billy Boy ever created! This O.S. is the worst thing since the plague, atom bomb, gene splicing, cloning, etc.....This problem had to come from an update, or a system wide issue with the internet affecting certain systems with certain parameters that no antivirus could see. It takes a very good virus writer to do this number on a computer. This is pure evil. Interesting it happened simultaneously to so many Vista users eh? Now I am going to have to put in the 5 DVD recovery disks. That makes me loose valuable programs and information. How about we do a class action on Billy?

Collapse -
Have you read your agreement with Microsoft?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2008 4:49 AM PST

Once you do you wonder why you would ever entrust a file to a PC.

It's also the launching point for discussions about backup.
Bob

Collapse -
I agree, but...
by xxxrokkstarrxxx / January 9, 2009 4:39 PM PST

you are forgetting the fact that gene splicing and cloning were GOOD things; groundbreaking scientific breakthroughs that furthered the advancement of their respective fields by leaps and bounds. While on the other hand, Vista is the technological equivalent of going from Ipods to 8-tracks.

Collapse -
You have 8 tracks?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2009 10:42 PM PST
In reply to: I agree, but...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?