General discussion

Acer Aspire 5332 bios flash (blind)

my PC died for no reason I can tell.
I get the black screen of death on it. I have checked the ram, the hard drive, opened it up and checked the insides were all clean.

I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHkGkw9EE8c

does anyone know what I should rename the file he renames to zg5ia32.fd

what should I rename the file on an acer aspire 5332?

many thanks in advance

Mal

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Acer Aspire 5332 bios flash (blind)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Acer Aspire 5332 bios flash (blind)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry. No.

There is NO REASON to blindly update the BIOS like that. I can only guess you are grasping at straws and are new to PC repair. In over 2 decades I can write that no machine ever was revived like that.

Let's check your checks. Did you measure the CMOS BATTERY VOLTAGE? How many Volts did you read?

WHY DO I ASK? Many machines halt or hold the CPU in reset when this is too low.
Bob

- Collapse -
It's an Acer, it is supposedly fairly common

I found several threads where this has fixed it when dealing with an acer, that's why I am asking.

I will have a look at the battery, I had forgotten about that (I tend to deal with software, not hardware)

Thanks for the help

- Collapse -
When dealing with a dead machine.

You find that any procedure is fair game. Even a hammer.

-> "Bean was instructed to try and fix the camera by tapping it with his hammer. He radioed, "I hit it on the top with my hammer. I figured we didn't have a thing to lose. I just pounded it on the top with this hammer that I've got." The capsule communicator in Houston joked, "Skillful fix, Al." Bean agreed, "Yes, that's skilled craftsmanship.""

- Collapse -
touche

I cannot figure out how to take it apart... will have to find the user guide somewhere...

- Collapse -
Thank you btw

You have been a great help :3

- Collapse -
There is a simple RESET you can try.
- Collapse -
Thanks, but I tried that a couple of times...

I don't know what to do to be honest... might be easier to buy a new laptop... I can easily put the hard drive in my desktop (sacrilege I know, but it works Silly) and then sell this one for scraps...

Will try the CMOS battery... because this computer is almost 7 and I must admit, it has had a hard life for on and off ^^;

- Collapse -
Good to read.

BTW, we have a few Acer Aspire One and other models around the office. They all lead a posh life as demo units for our software. Never abused and certainly don't run on battery power long. I can't write bad things about them because they were cheap and they still work.
Bob

- Collapse -
Acer Aspire One

for all the dislike of Acer I hear, the Aspire One is really good... I had to fix my girlfriend's because of the keyboard, and that was seven years, one key had fallen off and was unresponsive...

Her sister however managed to destroy it in a week when she got it as a hand-me-down...

thanks for the help :3

Mal

CNET Forums