Computer Help forum

General discussion

Acer Aspire 5100 Laptop.

by Ranchero2009 / September 28, 2009 1:37 AM PDT

When Starting lap top from Sleep mode or Initial boot up. Screen displays yellow screen and lettering is blurry. After a while computer goes to normal display. Acer support only offered to do a factory restore and save files.

Before doing all that I wanted another opinion. I did speak w/ someone else and they stated possible video card. How Can I diagnose to obtain a better assessment of problem.

HELP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire 5100 Laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire 5100 Laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yellow and red can be a sign of fading CCFL lamps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 2:19 AM PDT

How old? I'll expect this in older laptops. Repair costs mean you never fix this. You live with it until the end.
Bob

Collapse -
That sort of thing
by Jimmy Greystone / September 28, 2009 2:39 AM PDT

That sort of thing is usually a sign of a hardware issue that is only going to get worse as time goes by. It could be as simple as the video connection to the motherboard is a little loose, to poor quality solder joints on the video chip which will only get worse over time.

You're going to have to keep fighting with Acer to get them to replace the motherboard most likely. Assuming the system is still under warranty. If it's not, then just start looking for a new laptop, because the out of warranty repair costs are going to be 50-75% that of a new laptop.

Collapse -
Acer Aspire 5100 Laptop / Yellow Screen
by Ranchero2009 / September 28, 2009 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: That sort of thing

The Laptop was purchased new from Staples in Sept 2007. Warranty good til 2010. Suggestions to proof the issue or problem solving techniques to establish a clear problem so as to contact ACER for a resolution.

Any specific details to check vitals on Laptop.

Suggestions.

Collapse -
What more proof is required?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 7:12 AM PDT

It's what it is. The longer you delay on the call, the longer you get to keep the problem.

Collapse -
Check Acer's Website
by Jimmy Greystone / September 28, 2009 8:20 AM PDT

Check Acer's website, and maybe they'll have some kind of diagnostic program for your system. With luck, there will be some other issue that will warrant a repair.

Also, are you sure the warranty you have is through Acer and not some Staples front company? Check that paperwork, because I bet your Acer warranty has expired and now you get to try and convince Staples to fix things.

On the up side, at least there's someone local you can deal with. Someone who has to look you in the eye when they tell you you spent all this money on an extended warranty (or performance contract as some places are calling it now) and it's basically more useful as toilet paper than it is getting your computer fixed.

But like Bob said, the longer you wait, the longer you have to put up with this problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.