Computer Help forum

General discussion

acer aspire 3680-2301 french model trying to make english !

ive just bought an acer 3680-2301 and it has windows media center preinstalled but french ! i was going to do a clean install of xp but all i got was a head ache ! why do all the drivers freeze when i try to install them? is there any way to just convert the existing windows to english? why are acers differnet than other pcs ? plz help me ive been up all day tring to do this !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: acer aspire 3680-2301 french model trying to make english !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: acer aspire 3680-2301 french model trying to make english !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
any 1

In reply to: acer aspire 3680-2301 french model trying to make english !

plz just tell me if im crazy or what ! only a few keys on the ;aptop are differnt ... should i not just be able to install windows MCE overtop of the preinstalled os and then install drivers? does acer supply restore disks like hp does? any 1 plz help im about to lose my mind here.......

Collapse -
Is This The Same Computer From the Vista Forum?

In reply to: any 1

The model number would be helpful..

Have you downgraded the computer to XP SP2 at this point?

Have you checked with the Acer website for the appropriate drivers..?
http://global.acer.com/support/download.htm

Have you contacted Acer though email or a telephone call?

Actually, after installing the operating system, you should install all the drivers immediately.. Afterwards, if Media Center isn't already included in the operating system, then install it.. Still, it sort of depends on which OS you've got on the computer.. With Vista, Media Center is already a part of Premium and Ultimate.. No need to install it later.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
no not the same

In reply to: Is This The Same Computer From the Vista Forum?

this is a new laptop i just bought ... the source warehouse brand new 330 bucks but when i got home i see that its french ! i figured i could change it ! but it seems like i need the correct disks from acer ! but i could be wrong !

Collapse -
(NT) And Did You Install The 'Ripped' Copy Of XP?

In reply to: any 1

Collapse -
the model

In reply to: And Did You Install The 'Ripped' Copy Of XP?

the model # is 2301 and i guess its an aspire 3680 ... it only comes in french as far as i can tell .. ive downloaded all the drivers from acer . when trying to install the ones like epower and other e stuff it says must install net framework 1.1 . i havent contacted acer yet cuz they dont have 24/7 service its just monday to fri . so ill call tomorrow . do u think acers are any differnet than other pcs? and is that the model # your looking 4 ? and its made 4 windows MCE and it says on it vista capable ! help me !

Collapse -
yes it was

In reply to: And Did You Install The 'Ripped' Copy Of XP?

i was trying to use a ripped copy and i think that was the problem ! ive now used a different copy and all went perfect ! installed all drivers and only have a few errors in the manager to resolve the ethernet controller and modem device on high def audio bus ! so ill have to go back to acer . com and look around ! i had to format the drive so i lost the e recovery partition but it was french anyway i guess so who cares ! tomorrow ill call acer and try to get the recovery disks in english and im sooo happy ! thankz for all the help ! 1 more thing the acer signal up high efficency antenna technology .... ive installed the driver called atheros wi fi i guess do u think that is the right driver ?

Collapse -
Well, Is The New 'Copy' of XP Actually A New One That...

In reply to: yes it was

..has a legal product key number.. If it's still a "copy" and not an original, then you may still have problems.

As to the Atheros wifi driver, it's hard to tell since you didn't provide a link or the exact driver version or date.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
whats a

In reply to: Well, Is The New 'Copy' of XP Actually A New One That...

whats a modem device on high def audio bus? and yes still a riped copy ! but this 1 has windows sp2 intergraded and it seemed to work well ! i would love to install a real copy of xp but i just dont have that kinda money ! is windows MCE just an update for xp?

Collapse -
Locking This Thread

In reply to: whats a

Sorry Leeroy.. If you read the Forum Policies, you'll note we avoid discussing workarounds and such for illegal activities such as software piracy.. In your case, because you're using a ripped copy of XP, (meaning illegal without appropriate product key, etc.) many of your problems are occurring because of the improper XP version., including the inability to install Microsoft software updates such as MCE.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.