Laptops forum

Question

Acer Aspire 3053wxmi won't power on!

by venom325 / June 10, 2014 10:42 AM PDT

Hello guys!

First of all i should let you know that i don't know very good english so please try to answer as simple as you can. One other thing is that I'm a basic user, I'm not some programmer/developer or anything related.

So let's get started. I have a problem with my acer aspire 3053wxmi and as the title says, it just won't turn on. When i put the cable on, just a yellow light is lit. Nothing else. It seems like the power button is not broken or anything so I'm kind of confused. Could this be from the motherboard since the it seems to be transmitting electricity normally?

Again my apologies for my english and thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire 3053wxmi won't power on!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire 3053wxmi won't power on!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This is a very old laptop. DO NOT FIX.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 11:04 AM PDT

If you need to get your files out, pull the HDD and place it in some USB drive case.

From what I can tell this is from 2007 or older. The most common failure I see in such old laptops is the battery failed, the owner didn't know to remove the failing battery and the charging circuit fried leaving a dead machine in need of a motherboard. Between motherboard, battery and charger you'll spend more than any discount laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer Aspire 3053wxmi won't power on!
by venom325 / June 10, 2014 8:02 PM PDT

Thanks for your answer Bob!
So i guessed it right? Is it a motherboard issue? Tbh, i don't care about the files in the HDD as I have everything on my desktop. But i need this laptop to get it back in action. I assume if it was some other hardware failure, it would power on and it would do some kind of annoying noise to tell me something's not good, right?

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2014 12:22 AM PDT

But the cost of the parts look to exceed what today's laptops cost. Unless you find some ebay unit for cheap that they say has a busted LCD which you can use your old laptop for parts the economics mean it's time to go shopping.
Bob

Collapse -
Sure.
by venom325 / June 11, 2014 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

I just want to be sure if this is a motherboard issue. I know i can buy a new laptop that'll be cheaper than the motherboard, but i don't intend on buying new parts to repair it.
Is there something more i can do to ensure that the motherboard needs replacement?

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2014 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure.

The makers do not put built in diagnostics and the tester for the board was a few million dollars. This means, even in a service depot a tech will get such an unit, make a diagnosis, estimate it and wait for approval. Given the model and age, my diagnosis is partly story here and lessons about similar models.

If I had a client that wanted a for sure cure we repeat the diagnosis with another tech and usually the price changes up one notch. The next tech will likely want to cover the LCD, keyboard, drives and adapter as well since it's beyond the expected service life.

Back to Earth? See if you can find the same model on ebay with a broke LCD.
Bob

Collapse -
Bad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2014 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

Just to see what these go for I went to ebay. Not one up for sale, even a dead one. That's not a good sign but typical of units this old.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.