HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Acer Aspire 2025 vs Toshiba Satellite P25-5607

by Mondler / August 23, 2004 11:38 AM PDT

Hi. I'm trying to decide whether to get an Acer Aspire 2025 or a Toshiba Satellite P-25, and I was wondering if someone might have opinions on which is the better choice.

Full specs are as follows:

Toshiba

General
Designation: Home use, Small business
Features: Keyboard lock, Power-on password, Locking device keyhole (cable lock)
Recording Standard:Compliant Standards ACPI, VESA DPMS
Localization English:United States

Processor
Processor manufacturer - Processor type - Clock speed Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
Data bus speed 800 MHz
Chipset type Intel 865PE

Memory
RAM installed 512 MB DDR SDRAM
Max Supported Size 2 GB
Cache size - Cache type 512 KB L2 cache
Installed Size 512 MB

Storage
Hard drive 60 GB IDE
CD / DVD type DVD-RAM / DVD-RW
CD / DVD read speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
CD / DVD write speed 16x (CD) / 1x (DVD)
CD / DVD rewrite speed 10x (CD) / 1x (DVD)
Floppy drive None
Removable storage type None

Input Devices
Input device type - form factor Keyboard, Touchpad

Physical Characteristics
Weight 9.9 lbs

Form factor Portable
Display
Display size - technology - form factor 17 in TFT active matrix
Max resolution 1440 x 900

Video
Video RAM installed 32 MB
Max resolution (external) 2048 x 1536
Graphics processor NVidia GeForce FX Go5200

Audio
Audio input None
Audio output Sound card
Compliant standards DirectMusic, DirectSound, DirectSound3D, Sound Blaster Pro, Microsoft WSS 1.0/2.0

Networking / Telecom
Type Network adapter
Data Link Protocol Ethernet, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, Fast Ethernet
Modem 56 Kbps Fax / modem
Analog Modulation Protocol ITU V.92

Expansion / Connectivity
Expansion slot(s) total (free) 2 Memory, 1 (1 free) PC Card Type III (2 x type I / II), 1 (1 free)
Port(s) total (free) / Connector type 1 Display / video VGA, 1 Display / video S-video output, 4 Hi-Speed USB, 1 Infrared, 1 Modem Phone line, 1 Network Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX, 1 IEEE 1394 (FireWire), 1 Parallel IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP), 1 Microphone Input, 1 Headphones Output, 1 Audio Line-in
Expansion bay(s) total (free) 2 Front accessible

Power
Battery installed 1 Lithium ion
Mfr estimated battery life 2 hour(s)
Power supply device External 120 Watt Power adapter

Operating System / Software
OS provided Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Software included AOL, Quicken, Microsoft Works, MotionDV STUDIO, Adobe Acrobat Reader, AT&T WorldNet Service, Norton AntiVirus 2002, Toshiba Custom Utilities, Microsoft Internet Explorer

Warranty
Service / Support 1 year warranty

Acer

General
Features Wake on LAN, Wake on ring, System password, Power-on password, Hard drive password, Administrator password, Locking device keyhole (cable lock)
Recording Standard:Compliant Standards ACPI 1.0b

Processor
Processor manufacturer - Processor type - Clock speed Intel Pentium M 1.8 GHz
Data bus speed 400 MHz

Memory
RAM installed 512 MB DDR SDRAM
Max Supported Size 2 GB
Cache size - Cache type L2 cache
Installed Size 512 MB

Storage
Hard drive 80 GB IDE
CD / DVD type DVD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire 2025 vs Toshiba Satellite P25-5607
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire 2025 vs Toshiba Satellite P25-5607
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Acer Aspire 2025 vs Toshiba Satellite P25-5607
by KenSanramon / August 24, 2004 4:04 AM PDT

Clearly if you want a portable notebook (and 4x the dedicated video RAM) you want the Acer. The Toshiba weighs 9.9 pounds and it has a hot Pentium 4M processor. The Acer has the updated Dothan 1.8 735 with the 2mb L2 system Cache.

If you will be leaving the Toshiba in your house or dorm all the time then consider that (or realtors use heavier machines like this as they just have to carry it in from the car and plug it in).

The Acer has it all -- it is one of the few notebooks (Dell 8600 is one of the others) to have the ATI 9700 with 128mb video graphics.

The only downfall to the Acer is you can't order it custom like the Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 or the Dell 8600 but the specifications you have above will take you far if you are willing to pay the price. .

The Pentium M (Dothan) cpu should get you 3.5-4 hours at least using wi-fi and more if not using it (turned off).

6.6 pounds given the 15.4" widescreen is an acceptable weight and DVD's will look great (as well as a wider viewing angle compared to a 15" square).

You will actually see if you go to www.x1000forums.com that there are photos there comparing the Acer 2025 to the Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 -- they are both made by the same Chinese contract manufacturer.

Collapse -
by Mondler / August 25, 2004 8:00 AM PDT

Thank you very much for your reply. Happy I went to the forum as well and Acer is looking like the better choice to me.

One question, though. Does it really not have a floppy disk drive?

Thank you very much.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 25, 2004 8:38 AM PDT

Most notebooks now don't have a floppy drive as 1) they take up space better used for something else and 2) they add weight

What most people do now is to use a USB Flash Drive (multiple brands like SanDisk, Kingston, etc) -- this will allow you to easily transfer files between computers and save important files off the hard drive (in case it crashes). The 256MB Flash drive version (about 30.00 after rebates) is equivalent to well over 100 floppy disks. Any computer with a USB port (1.1 or 2.0 but 2.0 transfers much faster) can be used with the flash drives.

2) Nearly all software programs now come on a CD. Your notebook has a CD drive so that has replaced the Floppy drive for loading large programs. You can also save data files to a CD instead of the Flash drive if desired (but Flash Drive is small and portable and cheap) by 'burning' the data to CD. Both of these computers have a CD-RW Drive/DVD ROM combination.

3) If you really had to have a floppy 3.5" drive you can still buy them as an external USB drive and plug it into the notebook (just as you plug in the Flash drive) when needed.

Collapse -
by Mondler / August 26, 2004 12:02 PM PDT

That makes sense, indeed. I've always been interested in a flash drive, though my concern is that some older computers I come across for work or such might not be compatible with them. I guess I'll just get an external floppy drive, though.

If you don't mind, since you seem to own one of these, would you mind if I asked how much the Acer normally retails for and whether it can be easily purchased over the counter or if I need to order it online?

Thank you very much. You've been so very helpful.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 26, 2004 12:11 PM PDT

No, I don't own the Acer 2025 -- I own a Compaq X1360US (both are built by same Chinese manufacturer).

These are very similar and you can see the comparison photos at X1000forums.com (HPZT3000 is sister machine to mine).

The Acer cannot be customized but it does have the 128mb dedicated ATI 9700 video card option which Compaq/HP don't have that.

However, if you are not a gamer that may not be that important to you.

I believe this system is selling in the $1800 - over $2000 range depending on what model you get.

You can get the HPZT3000 or Compaq X1000 for much less as they have $100 custom order rebate and they also have student discounts, etc. See X1000forums.com if interested.

Some people on this site have been eyeing the Acer though because of the 128mb video option.

Note, the Flash drive should work on ANY notebook that has a USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 port. If not using Windows XP (Windows 98) you may have to load CD software that is supplied with quality flashdrives like Kingston, Sandisk, Lexar, etc. Otherwise, on newer computers (XP, XP professinal ,etc) the drive will immediately be recognized when you insert it and it will look just like a hard drive to the system.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 26, 2004 12:14 PM PDT

Note:

Toshiba has a 10% discount online on all custom order notebooks also but I recommend the M35 series (Pentium M) unless you will not be using it portable most of the time. It is very similar in size and weight to the Acer and Compaq/HP (6.2 pounds). You can see the M35S456 with the new Trubrite LCD at either Best Buy (1850 on sale for this prebuilt model with a DVD burner --multiformat) or Circuit City.

Collapse -
by Mondler / August 26, 2004 2:13 PM PDT

The M35 series had originally escaped my notice, but looking at the specs now, I like it. Generally speaking, which would you say is better, the Acer Aspire 2025 or the Toshiba M35S456? I'm not a gamer, but do intend to use the laptop a lot for multimedia stuff.

Thank you again for all your help.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 27, 2004 4:00 AM PDT

They are both nice notebooks. The Toshiba maxes out at 64mb dedicated video but that is fine and that is what most people have. The Acer can be ordered with 128mb dedicated video on some models.

The prebuilt M35S456 Toshiba 15.4" LCD (see Best buy -- on sale for 1850 this week through Saturday or also see it at Circuit City -- you can use pricematch -- normally 1999) has the new vibrant Trubrite LCD that the Acer does not. That mike make your decision.

The Acer is 6.6 pounds and the Toshiba is 6.2 pounds. The Toshiba runs a bit hotter but battery life should be very similar for both.

Acer are prebuilt only but you can customize at Toshiba's website and get 10% off right now.

Collapse -
by Mondler / August 27, 2004 11:47 PM PDT

Thank you very much for all your input on the issue. I'm still torn (leaning a bit toward Acer, mainly because with it, I don't need an extra piece of hardware for bluetooth), but this was very helpful as I now have something to ponder upon.

I greatly appreciate your taking the time out to share your knowledge with me. Happy

Collapse -
by decisionsdecisions / August 28, 2004 4:51 AM PDT

Sorry, I can't help you further... but, I am making that exact same decision. I finally narrowed it down (I think) yesterday when I came across the Toshiba. I've been holding onto the Acer Aspire 2025 through the last couple of weeks of my laptop search, and I just can't seem to let go. After coming across the Toshiba that has a lot of the same stuff packed inside, I finally have a resonable comparison. Also, a note about the Toshiba is the warrenty. Toshiba has a more accessible service dept. I've heard that Acer is not so good when it comes to that. Anyway, I love the Acer... and the Toshiba is great too. I just find it so interesting that I actually found another person comparing the eact same two laptops as I. If you finally decide, between those two specifically, could you please tell me what was the final verdict and why? PS. I was in Best Buy yesterday... the screen on the Toshiba is beautiful and the touch pad is really responsive. I just wish someone had the Acer on display so I could check that out just the same. To answer one of your previous questions... I'm pretty sure you are only going to find the Acer Aspire 2025 wlmi online. Thanks and Good Luck

Collapse -
by Mondler / August 28, 2004 8:41 AM PDT

Oh, it's so cool that someone's in the same place as I am. Happy

I own an Acer Aspire 1400 and have never had any problems with servicing, so the warranty's not too big an issue for me, I think.

Since I'm buying an iPaq, too, I'm kind of leaning toward the Acer, as I said, since it allows for bluetooth syncing. But the Toshiba is cheaper by about $150, after adding the bluetooth card, isn't it? That would allow me to look into getting an iPod, too, which is nifty, so I'm considering the savings there.

The Toshiba a tad slower (Pentium M 1.7 vs 1.8) than the Acer, though.

Thanks for your input. I'll be making a final decision in two weeks, so I'll still be ruminating upon everything. One thing I'm concerned about is that Acer seems to be getting high customer satisfaction in the reviews section of CNet, while Toshiba hasn't been among the editor's picks in a while. And so I'm a bit wary. Of course, the few friends I have who own Toshibas are all very supportive of the company. Have you heard anything in particular? And have you seen full-length reviews of this particular Toshiba model?

What are you leaning toward now, if you don't mind my asking? And when do you intend to purchase a unit? I'd love it if you let me know what you decided upon as well.

Thanks for all your comments; they were very helpful.

Collapse -
by Mondler / August 29, 2004 11:41 AM PDT

Oh, one other question. Do you have a specific online retailer in mind for purchasing the Acer?

I've never bought computer stuff online before and am a bit concerned over it.

Thank you!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2004 10:21 PM PDT

Disregard my little red m. I've bought laptops over the internet from Dell, Gateway, Outpost, Compgeeks.com and that includes the office that did a few from IBM.

Memory is mostly from Crucial.com

My note about warranties. If you extend the warranty, I now want to see the warranty to be from the maker. Here's why. Third party warranties often have an "out" clause like this: "If the repair costs exceed the value of the warranty (the money you paid) the warranter may refund the warranty costs to the owner and return the (unrepaired) computer." Be careful to read those warranties for such.

Bob

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 30, 2004 5:28 AM PDT

You did not mention before Bluetooth was an issue. The HPZT3000 series or Compaq X1000 series (same notebook except for case colors inside and a few minor details) is nearly the same as the Acer 2025 (they are both built in the same Chinese factory).

The only advantage of the Acer is that it has the 128mb dedicated video option -- ATI9700 video.

Compaq and HP have the ATI 9200 with 64mb maximum and that is the maximum for the Toshiba M35 (which uses Nvidia)

The only advantage of the Toshiba M35 over the Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 (I bought an X1360US over the Toshiba M35S320 which at that time did not have Trubrite) is the new Trubrite XGA LCD.

** note, you can order the internal Bluetooth module on the HP/Compaq for only $19 as an add on to the Intel 2200b/g wi-fi card if ordering custom.

That is a no-brainer -- this part costs up to $100 or more if ordering separately (to be internal) but if you order custom at HPshopping it will cost you only $19

See x1000forums.com

Also you can get a $100 custom order rebate.

The Compaq/HP weighs 6.5, the Acer is 6.6 (same chassis as these 2 -- see photos at X1000forums) and the Toshiba is 6.2 -- all all have the 15.4" widescreen.

Collapse -
by Mondler / August 30, 2004 7:44 AM PDT

The thing, though, is that not one of the people I know in RL who own Compaq laptops has anything positive to say about them, and, in fact, all of them tell me not to purchase the brand. None of them plan to buy Compaqs again, either. And since HP has merged with them, I'm wary of looking into the latter.

So really, now, I'm just on the fence between Toshiba and Acer. Toshiba, because the people I know who own it truly attest to it, I like the idea of the bright screen, and it comes cheaper than Acer even with the external (yeah, if it could have been made internal, I'd probably be leaning more to Toshiba now) bluetooth. Acer, because I know the company well enough and am currently satisfied with my Acer, it's gotten good reviews on this site (I imagine 2025 is a lot like 2000), which Toshiba doesn't have (I'm concerned that Toshiba never seems to rank well among editors and users here :-S) and because I've become attached to its features (like Arcade, etc). I don't know if the difference is worth the additional $200, though. That's why I'm still undecided.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 30, 2004 10:09 AM PDT

You have obviously not gone to X1000forums.com to view the photos showing an Acer 2025 to be the same internally as the Compaq X1000 and HPZT3000 and HPnc7000 (business). They are built by the same Chinese company (Compal).

Therefore, choosing Acer or Compaq/HP model discussed here is essentially choosing the same product. HP/Compaq customer service versus Acer or Toshiba or anyone else may be a different issue but in this case you know where the hardware came from.

Acer has the ATI 9700 Dedicated video 128mb option and that fact has Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 gamers (and other people who want more than 64mb dedicated video) seeing if there is any way they can order ATI 9700 128mb video card (hard to get separately) and put it into a Compaq/HP.

Also, there are very strong personal user reviews for the Toshiba M35S456 (newest prebuilt model also at Best Buy and Compusa --formerly at Fry's Electronics but now I don't see it there) at Circuit City.com .. this is the first prebuilt M35 with the Trubrite LCD.

Note that the Cnet review was for the M35 model before it was upgraded to the Dothan Pentium M and before they introduced Trubrite around May of 2004.

I compared the Toshiba M35S320 (1.5 Banias Pentium M without Trubrite) and the Compaq X1360US (1.4 Banias Pentium M) at Circuit City at the time in late May and I bought the X1360US as it has a better keyboard feel, was cheaper (at that point at least) by $150 and the only real negative of the Toshiba is that it does generate more heat for a Pentium M Centrino (not higher feet under notebook and warm area around the touchpad.

The Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 runs so cool in normal use the fan does not even come on (it turns on if using the DVD drive or playing a game or using the hard drive heavily. I love this feature as I use wi-fi nearly 100% of the time in front of my 57" Hitachi HDTV and I never hear any fan noise at all.

So, if you like the specifications of the Acer (as you cannot buy it custom) then go for it. But don't think that it is appreciably different from the Compaq X1000 or HPZT3000 as the photos will show you they are not (the front edge of the keyboard section of the notebook is different but the internal location of the memory (1 RAM module under keyboard, 1 RAM module underneath notebook), the hard drive location, the DVD drive location, etc are identical.

If you rely only on Cnet reviews you will not that the Compaq X1000 rated a recommended 8.1. The HPZT3000 rated an 8.0 (reviews done at different times). The HPZT3000 has over a 95% positive rate from the users.

But again, the editor reviews are in some cases old (note the Toshiba M35/M30 falls into this category) and you have to combine the editor review with the user reviews to get the big picture.

I can only tell you that I have had zero problems with my X1360US Compaq (X1000) after I learned of the need to upgrade my system bios and video drivers/ etc on the Compaq website. I have not had a single dropped wi-fi connection either since I updated the D-link firmware and the Intel 2200b/g drivers (at Compaq site).

I did have a couple of software issues with the F33 bios that shipped with the notebook.

X1000forums.com (10,000 registered users of X1000, HPZT3000, HPnx7000) has been so valuable to me to determine what the issues are for this notebook that I appreciate choosing this notebook for that issue alone.

Also, they tell you there how to get the best custom specification possible at the cheapest price (12% EPP discount or 6% student discount, 5% Fatcash discount, $100 custom order rebate (HP shopping tries to get you to go for the lower posted $50 HP or $30 Compaq posted rebates), etc.

You can also see the best tricks for customization regarding the Hitachi 7200rpm hard drive (also can be used on Acer or Toshiba), ordering only 256mb or 512mb 1 stick and getting more yourself cheaper later for under $100 (Kingston PC2700 512mb only $69.99 recently after rebate at Fry's) and stressing the # reason you should be looking at these 3 notebooks (and Acer if you want dedicated video 128mb) -- dedicated video memory.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 30, 2004 10:18 AM PDT

Also, please see in the USA technical section the article regarding technical support. This article discusses the support issues with all the major companies and reprints the recent PCmagazine technical support findings (desktop and notebook).

Apple was not included (only PC) so they would be at or near the top if they were included.

IBM was by far #1 for notebooks (and that is understandable as they focus on business notebooks and charge more --and their technical support has remained in the Atlanta, GA area).

Gateway was #2 for notebooks and E-machines was #2 for desktops -- very good considering the restructuring going on at both of those (they are now merged and Gateway retail store assets are now being sold at Best Buy).

Dell, HP/Compaq, and Toshiba come next in that order but they are so close (especially in notebooks) that there is no material difference here. You can choose any of the 3 and have similar technical support experiences (separated by .3 10's of a point for all 3)

But bringing up the rear by far (over 1 full point) is Sony in desktops and notebooks.

Bob Probert (the moderator) has highlighted this but many don't seem to make the connection until they read a poll from a respected source (like PC magazine).

Acer does not sell enough in the US to be included in this PCmagazine survey.

1 thing I did learn about Toshiba (I have a lot of their other products like TV's, DVD players, etc and they have run very well) is that Toshiba will not replace a 'lemon' notebook -- if you have a bad one and they replace the motherboard, etc and there are still repeated issues you are stuck. HP/Compaq has a policy to replace your notebook with a new replacement (and often better specs) if 3 or 4 major repairs under warranty occur. Someone posted recently about a Toshiba with a bad motherboard (that was out of stock for 4+ weeks) and he was stuck.

Toshiba has improved its service reponse times, however.

Collapse -
by decisionsdecisions / August 30, 2004 2:45 PM PDT

I'm sorry KenSanRamon but I think I am with mondler on this one. I am very wary about HP/Compaq because of what I've heard. I pretty much refuse to get anything from those companies, even though sometimes their products and advertisements look intriguing. It's just like apple... They have a mastermind for advertising, but I just can't make the switch from PC. Also, another example, if you don't mind me rambling, is the car I bought. I have a Mazda Tribute which is the exact same thing as a Ford Escape, and they are both at least partly assembled in the same factory in (Michigan)- don't quote me... but I felt so much more secure with the mazda, because the parts would be more reliable than, let's say.. Ford? ;)Anyway, about toshiba... Mondler you asked me some questions way back: I have not seen a thorough review on the Toshiba m35 s45; all I have seen are reviews, very thorough might i add, on the m35 s320. But you can't even compare the two because of the different processing speeds, etc. so it won't do much good to look into it. For personal comments: my friend has a toshiba laptop, he has pretty good things to say about it, and would recommend the company. He also told me a bit about their service. Supposedly they have a turnaround time of, I think, 36 hours, which is pretty darn good, I'd say. He found out why it's so quick too Wink They send the computers out to the UPS shipping wherehouse where everyone's packages are sent to to be sorted out and they fix it onsite. He also mentioned some other mainstream companies that do this but I forgot which ones. Other questions you asked: Well I don't know when I plan to buy my laptop (it is such a hard decision, and a big one too so I don't want to mess it up) but hopefully very soon. I'm going to need it by late sept. Oh and I have never bought any computers online before so I do not have any ideas on reliable companies to go through... I've been searching around for prices on the Acer and I would like to go with the cheapest (2,115) but I'm afraid that maybe something is missing, it's refurbished and they aren't noting it, or that the company is shady. For the Toshiba, I'd go direct, or from a "physical" store.. like circuit city etc. Anyway, now I have a question for anyone who is reading this thread ... I was wondering if it is worth it to be spending around 2,000??? I guess I have two questions, that should be kept separate from one another: 1. Is it worth it to be buying an acer or toshiba for 2,000? 2. Is the going rate for : pentium m 735 or 745, 80 gb hd, 512 MB ddr sdram, 15.4 widescreen, 6-7 lbs., $2000? or is it steep?-- or low I guess? and.. more specifically.. is it worth it to be paying 2200 on an acer that ways in at 6.6!
oh and one last question sorry haha. How much of a difference will there be between the Pentium M 735 and 745... I guess there is the price difference obviously... but I mean in performance!
Thankyou!
I must restate.. I was back in the computer store today... looking at the toshiba and others for sale. THE SCREEN IS GORGEOUSLY SHARP. There was an HP right next to it (that's weird... same thing at Best buy? hmm) the screen was so horribly fuzzzzy. Has ANYONE seen the acer screen??? I'd like to know if I'd be buying something Fuzzzy. Because if it were as bad as the HP(I HIGHLY DOUBT IT) that would make my decision right there!

Collapse -
by decisionsdecisions / August 31, 2004 2:48 AM PDT

weighs* Wink sorry

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 31, 2004 3:23 AM PDT

Decisions:

If you choose the Acer or Toshiba and think that the Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 are different (when they are built by the same Chinese company as the Acer) that is up to you.

But your analogies hold no water. Ford now effectively owns Mazda (Mazda is a Ford Subsidiary). So, sorry, if you are buying a Mazda Tribute that is a Ford product. It is built in the same factory in the US by the same production personnel.

I have a 1990 Mazda 626 5 door with its original clutch at 195,000 miles (and very few other repairs either). Why is that? Because it was built in Hiroshima Japan. The Mazda Miata also still comes from Japan so it is also outstanding. The Mazda Protege came from there as well.

Now, the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 are great products but they are being built and sourced with some Ford parts (the new Ford Focus and Mazda 3 use the same platform).
So, for buying the Mazda Tribute you got a longer warranty (4 years, 50,000 miles) and paid a bit more for it but sorry you did not get it from a Japanese plant.

On, the other hand, the Compaq X1000 and HPZT3000 do come from the same plant as the Acer 2025. So, while they are sold under different companies (with different warranty and service operations) the base computer manufacturing and parts are the same. You can even see that the HP/Compaq units are all shipping form Shanghai China when being custom ordered from Fedex (at www.x1000forums.com).

The unit you saw next to the Toshiba M35S456 at Circuit city is the retail HP3380US. (which is a HPZT3000 model variant). The Trubrite LCD is very nice if you are happy with the XGA 1200x800 resolution (HP/Compaq can be ordered with SXGA or UXGA).

I nearly bought the Toshiba M35S320 myself but that did not have the Trubrite then or a Dothan processor.

Note that the Toshiba runs much hotter than the Compaq/HP or by extension the Acer. You will feel the warmth around the touchpad area and the notebook underneath gets very hot if you don't use a Targus Podium Coolpad to allow more airflow (note that the Toshiba already has higher rubber feet in back to alleviate this issue somewhat).

This is not a big issue if on a hard surface but if you ever use it on your lap, etc. it is an issue. Also, the fan runs more (thus there is more noise)while the Compaq/HP (and by extension the Acer) has no fan noise at all in normal operation (fan comes on using DVD drive or heavy hard drive use, etc).

The Acer LCD will be very similar to the HP LCD -- you can see at X1000forums.com that there are several manufacturers of the LCD's (Samsung, LG, Hitachi) and the Hitachi's are not as good.

The Toshiba Trubrite, HPbriteview, Sony Xbrite, Fujitsu Crystal View are all manufactured by companies overseas not the manufacturers themselves (Sony may make theirs but all the others are coming from China, etc).

You can read very positive consumer reviews for the Toshiba M35S456 at Circuit City.com (choose Pentium M (Centrino) cpu filter to view only those notebooks.

Collapse -
by decisionsdecisions / September 1, 2004 3:33 AM PDT

ok ok.
If someone is able, can they please try to answer my question about price/quality. Its near the end of the first long paragraph in my 2nd to last post... if you wanna bypassss the cr*p as KenSanRamon might refer to it... and hey I am not saying this offensively... it could be completely true...... Those questions are the deciding factors in my search I think...very important.
Thankyou.
and bottom line... no offense to Ken San Ramon (again) I just will not buy HP or Compaq, no matter how fabulous they are. I am sorry. Try to understand. I am stubborn. If someone does a comparison while answering (only) my questions can they try to do it between companies like Fujitsu, Dell, IBM, Sony (Toshiba), (Acer). Only for my questions at least.. I don't mean to impede on other posts.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / September 1, 2004 4:55 AM PDT

I have already stated that the Toshiba M35 (with Trubrite), the Acer 2025 (with 128mb ATI 9700 but with limited custom options) and the HPZT3000/Compaq X1000 (both Acer and Compaq/HP built by Compal in China) are all viable machines.

So, choose the one you feel most comfortable with.

The Pentium M 2.0 755 is $400 more than the Pentium M 1.6 725 on the HPshopping custom order site.

That is way too much. The 1.8 Pentium M 745 is too high also.

If you use X1000forums.com only to see the ideal ordering specifications for a Pentium M (Centrino) you will see that most people are ordering the Pentium M 725 1.6 Dothan or the Pentium M 735 1.7 Dothan (for $125 more).

If you buy the prebuilt Toshiba M35S456 that has the 735 Dothan cpu.

Otherwise you will get more benefit from these:

1) get at least 5400 rpm hard drive (50% faster seek times than 4200) or 7200rpm (another 20% improvement)

2) order 256mb and get 512mb yourself = 768 mb RAM for less or order 512mb (1 stick) and add 512mb yourself for 1gb total for less

3) get 64mb dedicated or 128mb dedicated video depending on your model.

The RAM speed in all of these is PC2700 (333mhz) --when the new Sonoma chipset update (Centrino) launches in 2005 they will have new motherboard chips to enhance the Dothan processor and also increase the RAM speed again (Centrino started at PC2100).

Also, the Mazda Navaho (Ford Explorer) and Mazda pickup (Ford Ranger) are both merely rebadged Ford products also. The Mazda MPV uses a Ford V-6 engine.

The Mazda 6 uses the Ford V-6 but the 4 cylinder is still Mazda. Mazda 626's with a 4 cylinder automatic had a ton of transmission problems as that was a Ford Unit (but the manual transmission on the 4 and the V-6 automatic/manual at that time were Mazda).

So if Branding alone is most important to you (as these computers are all good) then choose the one you want. But your Mazda Tribute is rebadged Ford Escape with a longer warranty. Mazda pickups (as well as Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Isuzu) were excellent in the late 70's and early 80's when they all came from Japan but then the US 25% tariff on trucks with 2 doors only (4 door sport utilities are exempt like Toyota 4 runner, Mitsubishi Montero, etc) killed all of them. So even the Toyota Tacoma now is made in Fremont -- not the Japanese model equivalent.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / September 1, 2004 5:15 AM PDT

Also, beyond the user postings at Cnet for each model, www.notebookforums.com will be an excellent resource for you.

They have a Toshiba section there, a Dell section and tbey have Acer postings in the other systems area at the bottom of the homepage.

Collapse -
by Mondler / September 2, 2004 3:09 PM PDT

Thank you so, so much for all your help here, Ken. I still am not decided, but I do appreciate all the little nuggets you've made me consider. Thank you for sharing your time and expertise; I'm very grateful.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / September 3, 2004 3:35 AM PDT

I really think all 3 of these notebooks are outstanding (Acer 2025, Toshiba M35, Compaq X1000/HPZT3000).

The Toshiba has the Trubrite (but no 128mb video or internal Bluetooth), the Acer has the 128mb ATI 9700 video (but less customization and presence), and the HP/Compaq has the best customization and price when ordering online (but does not have Trubrite or 128mb video).

I don't think you can go wrong but the back to school deals are near their end so check carefully for what is out there now (100 instant rebate in addition to mail in rebates at HP/Compaq -- 10% custom order discount at Toshiba).

Collapse -
Last question
by Mondler / September 3, 2004 11:06 AM PDT

I can't purchase my laptop till early October, though. Bah for missing back-to-school deals. Thanks for the heads-up anyway.

One last thing, if I may ask. Both the Toshiba and the Acer are widescreens, aren't they? Does that mean I absolutely can't use a 1024x768 resolution on them? Came to this realization late in the game, and it worries me, as I'm very much attached to the 1024x768, as most of my files (graphics) and sites are set to match that.

Collapse -
Re: Last question
by KenSanramon / September 3, 2004 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Last question

Yes, the XGA resolution is the widescreen equivalant of 1024x768 or 1200x800.

Some webpages will adapt (stretch) while others will just populate the largest square portion of the LCD that they can (so in that case your entire screen width is not filled).

So, if you were only going to see square images and webpages then by getting the 15.4" widescreen you would be getting a smaller image than a 15" square screen (Which fills the entire screen).

But some webpages are widescreen, some games will convert to widescreen, your DVD's are all widescreen (you should not buy any full screen DVD's --they are cutting off the edges of the picture that way) and your Excel spreadsheets and other programs automaticallly stretch to fill the screen (so you you see slightly less vertical versus a 15" square but much more horizonally (you see more columns but slightly less rows).

Also, I understand that the 15.4" widescreen is better that a 15" square screen on an airplane as the notebook is actually not as tall (so it does not stick up as much into the seat in front of you). It is wider so you can't use a 17" LCD easily on an airplane but a 15.4" is fine.

So, for example when watching widescreen DVD's now the 15.4" will be filled but if watching a square image on Yahoo music (videos) it will put bars on both sides as it is a square input.

Collapse -
Re: Last question
by KenSanramon / September 3, 2004 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Last question

Mondler:

see my answer to the resolution question above.

As far as payment, HP/Compaq has 1 year no interest financing so you can buy it now and not pay for 1 year.
The $100 instant discount out now on those and the 1 year financing (and rebates also) make it worthwhile to look now.

Get the good deals now on what you want.

Toshiba may have something like this online but I am not sure. They have the 10% off custom orders now that you may not have later (see website for expiration).

You will have to check out Acer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.