Laptops forum

General discussion

acer aspire 2025

by Blacko / November 22, 2004 9:47 AM PST

Hi all,

I'm planing on buying the Acer Aspire 2025. But I would like to know form where I can get it in the US/Canada? Also, what about the heat of this laptop? Is it cool, quiet?

Thanks,
Blacko

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: acer aspire 2025
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: acer aspire 2025
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: acer aspire 2025
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: acer aspire 2025

As to quiet, if you mean in comparison to similar laptops, I don't see it being any better than the usual. Not a simgle laptop I've seen has been "silent".

As to heat, it does have the dedicated video so it will be quite warm on some spot on the case. I do not have this unit to tell you exactly where, but ALL of these type systems have a warm spot. You have to decide if a little case warmth is worth the performance.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7587-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=34202&messageID=394465

Bob

Collapse -
by Blacko / November 22, 2004 7:43 PM PST
In reply to: Re: acer aspire 2025

Do you know a place where I can buy it?

Thanks,
Blacko

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 8:11 PM PST
Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 23, 2004 3:20 AM PST

The Acer 2025 (Acer 2000 series) is built by the same Chinese contractor (Compal) that makes the HPZT3000 and Compaq X1000 (see X1000forums.com and do a search for Acer and you will find photos posted showing how the inside of the Acer is identical to the HP/Compaq).

The HP and Compaq only have the ATI 9200 video card with up to 64mb dedicated video so that is what makes the Acer 2025 (6.6 pounds) attractive with the ATI 9600/9700 and 128mb dedicated video option.

But a month or so back the stock mostly disappeared and someone posted that there was some sort of a copyright infringement issue that stopped the flow.

So, if you can find one great and post it as others wanted that notebook. If, in fact, they have stopped production you may not want one of these as it might be very hard to find parts later if it is indeed discontinued.

The Dell 8600 at 6.9 pounds (Pentium M Centrino 15.4" widescreen also) has the ATI 9700 with 128mb dedicated video also and you can get the Hitachi 7200rpm hard drive as well (this is essential along with the fast video card if you want the ultimate gaming machine -- at least get a 5400rpm hard drive not a 4200 rpm). The Dell 8600 is rated well at Cnet and the primary drawbacks are the case construction (all plastic and creaks and cracks if not picked up carefully) and the keyboard feel is not up the the Compaq built HP/Compaq/Acer.

Collapse -
by Blacko / November 23, 2004 7:11 AM PST

uit does the Acer 2026 or 2023 is discontinued? This is the europeen serie...
If no, do you know a reseller that would ship to USA or Canada?

Thanks,
Blacko

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 23, 2004 7:22 AM PST

Do a search on this notebook forum for the Acer 2025 to find the person who posted that. I don't know firsthand whether that is correct or not but there were several other people 30-45 days ago who finally decided on this model but then couldn't locate it on the internet (Acer does not have any US retail outlets I am aware of).

So, if you turn up valid information post it.

Also, if you have been paying attention to the notebook forums recently AMD is slated to release a low voltage notebook Athlon 64 chip in the US (in Europe already) that may allow battery life and notebook weight and thickness similar to a Pentium M Centrino (32bit) but with the 64bit architecture. But these will likely not come out in the US until early 2004.

All the mainstream Athlon 64 notebooks I see now (HP/Compaq at hpshopping or Gateway/Emachines models at Best Buy -- these 2 just merged) have 64mb dedicated video memory maximum.

But with the new low voltage AMD64 coming out maybe someone will sneak a ATI 9700 video card in there.

Note, Dell sells no AMD chip products at this point only Intel in notebooks.

Cnet has very good reviews for this model and the 128mb dedicated video is there but again make sure this model is not discontinued for some reason or you are better off with an alternative Pentium M notebook like 2 Dells that offer it (the 8600 or a new 17" LCD Pentium M model).

Collapse -
by Blacko / November 23, 2004 8:29 AM PST

Does the RAM under the keyboard is accesible? Can It be changed?
Also what is the difference between the 2023 and the 2026?

Thanks,
Blacko

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 23, 2004 9:13 AM PST

As I told you before, the Acer 2000 series is identical inside (somewhat different outside but minor) to the HPZT3000/Compaq X1000. If you go to X1000forums.com and do a seach you can find a photo tutorial for how to remove the keyboard (remove two screws at bottom marked with a keyboard icon and move down 4 shims between the upper keyboard keys) and then the keyboard comes out. The 1st RAM slot (populated first --easy access to 2nd slot is under notebook in slot) is now accessible under the keyboard.

If you get 256mb RAM 1 slot or 512mb RAM 1 slot the 2nd RAM slot under the notebook will be left open for easy upgrading.

Acer models are all prebuilt versions of the Acer 2000 series (they do not custom build notebooks like HP/Compaq at hpshopping.com or Dell) so you will have to determine what model has what.

Collapse -
by Blacko / November 25, 2004 10:30 AM PST

Also, does the electrical plug in europe is differente from here? And what about the dvd writter, reader. I heard about restrictions. If I buy a laptop from UK, will i'll have troubles with these restrictions?

Blacko

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 29, 2004 10:48 AM PST

If you are wiling to go out of the country to get a notebook not being sold here in any quantity perhaps because of a copyright issue (which means it may be very hard to get parts or service later) then I guess nothing else matters. Jim Rome has an Merkur XR4Ti he can sell you if you are willing to risk service later.

If in fact the Acer 2000 series is still shipping fully and this is not discontinued model than it is a great notebook.

Most notebooks have a power brick that works on 110 US current or 220 Europe or Asia current --but you have to swap the cord portion that clips in that plugs into the wall --------or you would have to get a plug adaptor to convert the europe plug to the US plug.

I would not get a notebook for everyday use in the US unless I could get the Acer official US 110 volt power adaptor plug.

On my HPZT3000 / Compaq X1000 the power brick and the connector to the notebook are 1 piece and the wall outlet wire connects into the power brick so you can go out and get the US spec cord or the Europe spec cord to plug into the power brick and cord coming out the other end (fixed) to the notebook itself.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?