Laptops forum

General discussion

Acer Aspire 2010WLci review

by kjernald / October 25, 2004 11:45 AM PDT

This is a great laptop. I spent months doing research on what laptop to get. The Dell 8600, 600m, Apple iBooks and Powerbooks, Compaq R300Z, 1100, Toshibas and Fujits. The difficulty in buying a laptop is the number of parameters.
First is cost: My Centrino 1,5Mhz, 512Mb, 60Gb, DVD-RAM, 15,4 WXGA screen, 802.11g network card cost me $1200 with XP Pro installed. That's dirt cheap.
Second, what about the features of the laptop such as battery life, heat level, noise level, drive bays, weight, ports. My Acer gets at least 4 1/2 hours on one charge, it does not get warm (unlike Powerbooks and Dells 8600, 600m), the fan only comes on when I boot it up, I can't swap the bays but with a DVD_RAM who needs to, I have S-video, FIrda, 3 USB 2, 4-1 card reader and the usual ports, it is very carryable (I carry it almost every day to school).
Third, you have quality. Is the screen good? How about the keyboard? Speakers? Mousepad? Well, my Acer has a fanatstic screen with excellent color and clarity (like an Apple), the keyboard is comfortable for hours of use with adequate key travel and resisitance, the speakers are a little on the low side but ok, the mousepad is big and comfortable.
Four, you have construction quality. Does it hold up. My Acer scores well here, but not like an IBM. It has a few parts that aren't so sturdy. It won't stop you from taking it with you, but it will make you get a good case.

Overall, I highly recommend this Acer. I have been in the laptop business professionally since 1993 (back in the day of 486 computers) and I have seen many, many computers. This one is a keeper.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire 2010WLci review
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire 2010WLci review
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Acer Aspire 2010WLci review
by KenSanramon / October 25, 2004 12:44 PM PDT

The Acer 2000 series is built by the same Chinese company (Compal) as the HPZT3000 / Compaq X1000 twins. There is a thread on the X1000forums.com website with photos showing how the internal components are identical.

The main benefit for the Acer is that it has the ATI 9600/9700 video card option with 128mb dedicated video. This is highly desirable for gamers. This notebook is 6.6 pounds and thinner and lighter than the Dell 8600 which also has that option.

The only negatives for the Acer is that it is not available at retail and you can't customize it.

Thus, for many people who don't need the 128mb Dedicated video the Compaq X1000 or HPZT3000 are good choices (go up to 64mb dedicated video) as you can fully customize them for all components.

If you like what the Acer 2000 series offers (a prebuilt sold over the internet) than it is an excellent notebook.

It is very important to try out a notebook as you see from the recent post from another dissastified Acer user (but a lower model, not the Acer 2000 series).

However, as I indicated the core chassis is proven on the HP and Compaq models and you are getting the 128mb dedicated video option (if you bought the prebuilt model that offers that).

You can also read overall very positive reviews at Cnet and user comments there as well.

The things you can get better and or cheaper with a custom order notebook are LCD resolution (can get XGA, SXGA or UXGA with HP/Compaq), memory amount (cheaper to buy 256mb 1 stick and add 512mb PC2700 notebook RAM yourself for under $100 more), hard drive speed (can upgrade to 5400rpm hard drive or sometimes 7200rpm har drive instead of slow standard 4200 rpm hard drive in many notebooks), etc.

Dell of course is fully customizable as well and they do have kiosks in some malls where you can try out the notebooks.

Unfortunately, you have to rely on friends or online reviews for the Acers mostly (at least in the US)

Collapse -
by Mofirensd / October 27, 2004 5:47 AM PDT

First contri, but long-time reader. Hello all.

I also have been researching a purchase of a laptop, as many others have. This is not going to turn into another Dell vs HP vs Acer vs ??? contri. Dont worry.

The biggest reason I have not settled on the Acer Aspire model is because of the screen and HD speed. Are you happy with your XGA screen and why? My understanding is that Acer does not put faster than 4200 RPM HD's in there machines. Is this true? If it is, that is the lamest!

Also, a comment on the upgrading of a new machine. Why spend the 2G's on a laptop, just to not be happy with it, upgrade it, and void the warranty?

Collapse -
by Mofirensd / October 27, 2004 6:10 AM PDT

Another question for you guys. Is it true that this laptop comes with a partitioned Fat32 HD? What do you think about that?

MO

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / October 27, 2004 6:37 AM PDT

Read the other thread that has an update today indicating the Acer 2000 series (2035) may have been discontined due to patent infringement. A lot of people were looking at that notebook due to the ATI 128mb dedicated video but now it appears to be only available in leftover models.

As I have stated before, this model as the same internal build of a Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 and is built by Compal in China -- but unfortunately HP/Compaq does not have a non Pentium 4M notebook with more than 64mb dedicated video.

The HPZT3000/Compaq X1000 can be ordered in 3 LCD resolutions however (and XGA can be ordered with Briteview) and you can get a 5400rpm hard drive (many put in 7200rpm Hitachi hard drive themselves later after ordering cheapest 4200rpm hard drive).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?