Resolved Question

Acer 7520 black screen during POST

Hi everyone.

My father has an Aspire 7520 and some days ago he told me to install W7 in it.

I came up with the idea of upgrading the bios, as there was a newer version available (1.33). Bios and tool to flash it were downloaded from official Acer web, and flashed under windows.

The update was succesful (or that's what the program said) but from that moment, every time you turn on the computer the screen will remain black until windows welcome screen appears. The computers works fine except for that period of black screen during boot,

This happen with the integrated screen and the vga port (using an external monitor).

I can access the bios but see nothing in the screen... and this is annoying. I've tried to downgrade bios (with no success), also tried to restore system... but i'm running out of ideas...

Any suggestions about how to bring back the screen during post will be welcome...

And if someone has had difficulties understanding my english... well, it's not what it used to be. I hope I have expained myself well enough Wink

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
jecasas has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Acer 7520 black screen during POST
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Acer 7520 black screen during POST
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
The newer PCs do that.

It turns out consumers have voted that they do not want to see the boot screen any more. So for now, take a hike to the store and boot the new machines. Very few show the old BIOS boot screens.

The odd part is that access the BIOS but see nothing on the screen. Are you sure that you are using the machine in its stock form? No added video cards?

- Collapse -
As from factory

Hi.

I'm completely sure that the laptop has not been modified in any way since it was bought some years ago.

By the way, some weeks ago this same problem (black screen) came up but I was able to overcome it using 'system restore', so despite it could make one think that could be a video driver or a windows configuration issue, as far as I know the video driver that windows has installed has nothing to see with the bios. In fact the bios will work the same with or without oeprating system installed, so...

Unfortunately, this time there are not any (useful) restore point to roll back as I've been uninstalling a lot of stuff from that computer using Revo uninstaller and it creates 1 restore point per uninstall... and now I know that it seems Windows has a limited number of restore points stored...

Being near to desperate, today I will call the SAT and hope to get some reasonable answers...

- Collapse -
There is no "video driver" for the BIOS.

If you remember your basic PC architecture, the BIOS does not use any "driver" that we install like Windows. A BIOS must bootstrap everything and get it going so no drivers. It talks directly to the hardware.

With that out of the way, we have to dismiss any notion of drivers, restore points and such.

Fiddling with the OS on the HDD does not change how a BIOS boots and behaves. While you are in the BIOS you could look for a Defaults option. Sometimes helps.
Bob

- Collapse -
not the spare part

Your are talking about the video cards, but the spare part is wrong. The spare part is hard disk.

- Collapse -
SOLVED - Black screen during POST

Hi everyone.

Finally, within my desperation, I took the laptop to a nearby store in wich they were able to flash the original bios that came with the laptop.

Now it works fine, so everything points to a defective bios (v1.33, the latest available in Acer's web) or flashing.

At least it works again!

CNET Forums