Laptops forum

General discussion

Acer 4810t - SU2700 or SU3500 ?

by Akeeef2k6 / October 31, 2009 11:29 PM PDT

Hi all,

i am going to buy the Acer 4810T/4810TZ but i cant decide which one to buy in terms of CPU speed.

i have found following laptops:

-Acer 4810tz - Intel Pentium SU2700 - Windows Vista (incl. free Windows 7 upgrade from Acer) - 3GB RAM - 500$
-Acer 4810t - Intel Core 2 Solo - SU3500 - Windows XP - 3GB RAM - 530$

I know that the SU3500 is a little faster and gives a little more battery life but this particular item comes with Windows XP instead of Windows Visa (and Windows 7 upgrade).

I am a student and going to use the laptop for:
- Internet - mainly Firefox, multiple tabs
- MS Office - Word and PowerPoint mainly
- Watching regular movies (no HD)

Important is battery life for me. but also a constant running machine.

What do you guys suggest?
is XP better than Windows 7?
Does it make that much of a difference between SU2700 and SU3500?

Thanks a lot

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer 4810t - SU2700 or SU3500 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer 4810t - SU2700 or SU3500 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Skip both.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2009 11:49 PM PDT

While I'd get the machine with Windows 7 and get away from XP as fast as possible there will be those that will have old machines to move out or not remember this change the last time it happened. Keep shopping and don't get a machine you have to upgrade.

Collapse -
other ideas?
by Akeeef2k6 / November 2, 2009 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Skip both.

any other ideas?

Collapse -
Battery life or run time?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: other ideas?

Some write about such but mean run time. I've been dis'd over this and you should be clear.

Those Acer TimeLines have 8 or so hour runtimes.

Collapse -
this one?
by Akeeef2k6 / November 2, 2009 6:09 PM PST

what do you think about this one?

Acer Aspire Timeline AS4810TZ-4508:

-1.3GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core SU4100 Processor
-4096MB DDR3 1066MHz Memory
-Windows 7 Home Premium

Collapse -
That's one of
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 7:53 PM PST
In reply to: this one?

The timeline series. Be sure to see one before purchase. It's your basic laptop that does all it can to get long battery times. Being dual core is a good move so it's no slug.

Collapse -
TIMELINE AS4810-4183 Best Laptop Ever On EVERY Front (imho!)
by Dummbunny / January 11, 2010 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: this one?

I have the AS4810TZ-4183 Olympic Edition (very pretty and sleek and the emblem is barely visable unless the sun hits it, kinda cool, not gaudy at all) I have absolutely no problem running anything on this system, but i am verrrrrry particular and don't download a bunch of junk on it.

I use it for heavy internet surfing, pictures, word processing, MS Paint,Skyping, streaming Napster, light YouTube viewing, Free Cell/Solitaire playing, etc. and i can not say enough great things about it. Hasn't kept me waiting even ONCE or saying "Windows needs to close" - (ugh - hate that msg!)

Word of advice to people who find it "sluggish". Be careful what you are loading, there can be compatibility issues even if u don't realize it, and that can happen even with processors 2+ghz. I have used quite a few and learned my lesson about "registry errors" and loading incompatible old software, even if they install it doesn't mean they are "compatible", and some screen savers REALLY can mess up ur system, i had a "Marine Aquarium which breathtaking, but it turned my laptop into the dreaded "paperweight". I think its a good rule of thumb to only lead what you absolutely need, save the other stuff for your desktop whenever possible Happy

Collapse -
Acer aspire timline Olympic
by theamaria / January 19, 2010 8:01 AM PST

I have just recently bought that notebook from the Shopping Channel
It sounded fantastic of course I taped it lol.... So glad to hear that
you are happy with it... Was trying to find some info on it.. You made
my day.

Thank you sooo much

Collapse -
acer 4810 t
by muk90123 / July 18, 2010 2:39 AM PDT

window 7 is much better than xp in acer 4810 t,,,,,,because it improves the battery life and performance also

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?