Laptops forum

General discussion

acer 2000 shopping

Looking for P-M 1.6 notebook:
512 Mb in one slot (though willing to settle for 256mb)
60gb hard drive with at least 5200 rpm
64 mb dedicated video +
all the usual internet and other goodies - though no software wanted
3 yr warranty would be better
cd burner/ dvd player (dvd burner of course nice but not necessary)
XP Pro

I'm a grad student that crunches a lot of data so speed is nice, so is not going blind looking at a screen. Don't need too many frills. Some portability and battery life would be nice (thus M chip). Also, don't want to break the bank.

would be willing to do some add-ons of memory and hard drive stuff myself since that'll be cheaper, though i have a habit of breaking computers so I'd prefer the manufact' install the harddrive even if it costs 50 bucks more.

Seems like HPzt3000 and Acer Aspire 2000 series would be my best bet. I know I can get all of the above with HP but it seems like I can get a tad more with the acer (better graphics, possibly better hard drive) plus I think the hp is a bit older (though I don't know how much difference this makes).

Thing is: I'm having trouble finding a wide selection of acers online. i've checked compusa, newegg, circuit city, jandr, costco, and even rudimentary google/froogle searches. Is it possible to find acers with the above in the US?

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: acer 2000 shopping
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: acer 2000 shopping
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: acer 2000 shopping

In reply to: acer 2000 shopping

If you go to X1000forums.com you will see people with the Compaq X1000/HPZT3000/HPnc7000 (same notebooks) that are eying the Acer you describe because of the available 128mb Dedicated video (ATI 9700 video card).

There are even photos on the forum (general area) showing the Acer and Compaq/HP are the same chassis (built at the same site in China) but there are differences on the external case.

What people really want to do on my forum if figure out if they can put a 128mb video into the Compaq/HP.

The Acers are nice but they are prebuilt (no custom orders) so that means you will pay more and not get exactly what you want. If Acer has what you want at the price you want then get one.

Go to X1000forums.com -- you can see the specs students are ordering for maximum value .. if you are a student still you can save 6% with the APP discount at HPshopping, there is a 100 custom order rebate good through 9/1/04 and you can learn how to get another 5% savings by ordering through Fatcash (portal) through 8/31/04.

Many students are getting a 725 Pentium M Dothan 1.6 (cheapest Dothan available on HP/Compaq for best value), 256mb RAM (add 512mb later to slot under notebook --very easly), 30gb 4200 hard drive (upgrade to 7200 rpm hard drive -- or order 5400rpm 60mb drive from HP/Compaq), and you can order a higher resolution (SXGA or UXGA) if desired (standard is XGA).

Go to www.newegg.com - they have some good pricing on Acers.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: acer 2000 shopping

thanks,

I am aware of the x1000 forum, etc... It has been quite helpful. Of the acers I've seen from places like newegg.com, acer seems to be selling a Pent M 705 and 745 version in america. I know there is also a 725 floating around but no one actually seems to stock it. Even cnet's own review of the aspire 2000 version with the 725 chip doesn't link to any potential sites selling it.

There also seems to be another 100 rebate for Hp some zt3000 models that doesn't expire until december. I can't quite figure out though if the configs that I specify would qualify though.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: acer 2000 shopping

I received the rebate in my preorder X1360US (X1000 series) that specified the dates of 2/15/04-9/1/04 -- on that rebate it specified my prebuilt model (which would not apply anymore as these prebuilts have been replaced unless you found one not yet sold) and ANY custom order Compaq notebook.

There is an HP one that has the same language.
Supposedly the rebate you refer to has the same language.

There have been people who ordered in July and used the $100 rebate instead of the $50 HP or $30 Compaq that have received it (you have one UPC code so you can submit only 1 rebate).

I think the one with the later expiration date you refer to still applies with the same rules but if you order on or before 9/1/04 use that one to be safe.

Both rebates can be found on the HPshopping homepage in the lower left under mail in rebates -- then choose either Compaq or HP notebooks and then find them there (Adobe Acrobat PDF files that can be opened and printed).

Both of these either give a $100 mail in cash rebate, a free Wordperfect Professional suite (from Corel) or $300 in Marriott Hotel bucks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.