HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Ace mega codec - very annoying

by pebo94 / April 1, 2004 8:15 AM PST

I am running windows XP-PRO and i notice of late that whenever i used Div-X, WinMPlayer, this TV or computer screen pops up in my lower right hand corner of my computer screen.When i open the icon it says TFM Audio Filter. It does not give me the option to shut it off. I did a search and find it to be a part of Ace mega Codecs Pack - XP-PRO. I must have downloaded this software in search of codec upgrade, but not sure. ANYWAY the pop-ups are very annoying. How do i eradicate such little bug?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ace mega codec - very annoying
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ace mega codec - very annoying
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Ace mega codec - very annoying
by ronclon / April 1, 2004 8:30 AM PST

I cant tell you how to get rid of the popup, other than uninstalling it -sorry. but most codec packs have some sort of problem or spyware in them. The best codec pack that ive seen is the k-lite codec pack, spyware free and has any codec that you could ever want. it also includes the bsplayer wich many say is the best media player. good luck.

Collapse -
Re:Ace mega codec - very annoying
by Yew / April 1, 2004 10:25 AM PST

Uninstall the codec pack, run a spyware scanner to get rid of any remnants.

Then, just get yourself a copy of ffdshow ( http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/ ). It's a reimplementation of all the major codecs with special care taken to make heavy use of MMX, MMXExt, SSE, SSE2, 3DNow! and 3DNowExt instructions wherever possible to speed things up. It autodetects what your CPU supports and adjusts itself accordingly. As a result, it's generally able to play back files using considerably less CPU power than even the official codecs. Although it does seem to have a small bug with some Divx 3.11 files and getting a green stripe or two down the middle of the screen. Luckily, you can tell it which codecs to take over decoding functions for and it even has a little tray icon if you use WMP9 which doesn't let you get at codec settings for reasons only MS can fathom.

It's fairly small at a 1.2MB download, it's free, open source (so spyware free), and when you combine it with Media Player Classic (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/ ) you've probably got the best setup possible for Windows.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.