Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

Accounting software question -

by JWillis27 / August 7, 2008 5:39 AM PDT

I'm starting a small graphic design business and I'm curious to see what accounting software I should be using to help maintain my books. I'm not very good with finance so I need some help.

My friend recommended that I use Quickbooks and Profitcents. Quickbooks for the actual account management and Profitcents for the automated financial analysis - I guess they work together.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accounting software question -
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accounting software question -
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Take an accounting class.
by white-bread / August 10, 2008 1:49 AM PDT

Accounting software should only be used to check what you have done. Keeping books, making copies of books, safekeeping your records, and understanding the accounting process helps. Software will not know the rate of depreciation, what can be considered a write off, a loss, a decision to move, or a decision to change methods.

Collapse -
What is that?
by DavidG54 / August 21, 2008 1:08 AM PDT

What is Profitcents? What do people use that for?

Collapse -
Try Outsourcing your Bookkeeping
by faddydan / September 2, 2008 4:31 PM PDT

You can get a company nowadays that can keep all your books for you online. Usually, they use Quickbooks to record everything, and give you financial reports as well. Many people do not trust these types of companies, but a genuine bookkeeping company will have no problems giving out referrals, talking over the phone, and meeting if you live locally. Lots of these bookkeeping companies that offer online services, work from another location though, sometimes out of state from where you do business. They are very cost-effective, and save you money in the long run when it comes time for year-end activities (CPA!!!). Here's a great article regarding outsourcing your bookkeeping.
www.youngentrepreneur.com/forum/f2-general-business/lower-your-running-costs-33657.html

Collapse -
Check microsoft Money
by john_stevenson / September 3, 2008 2:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm going to blast MS Money. No sale. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2008 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Check microsoft Money

I bought MS Money 2008. Installed just fine but here's what caused me to return it the very next day.

-> I wasn't sure about an item so I clicked on the help button in MS Money 2008. It launched a web page to MSN's site and began offering me Home Loan Refi's, and deals on Cruises.

This! from an accounting program. Sorry but uninstall was the next step and asked for a full refund. I'm now on Quicken and when you click on help there there is no offers for Refi or Cruises.
Bob

Collapse -
Microsoft Money 2006
by john_stevenson / September 3, 2008 3:05 AM PDT

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've used Microsoft Money 2006, and I don't remember any links to ads from the software. I agree that ads (or links to ads) are unacceptable for commercial accounting software.

Collapse -
Bionic Books
by rodjennings1 / December 6, 2008 7:07 PM PST

We're a small web design agency; I'd recommend this <a href="http://www.bionicbooks.com">small business accounting software</a>, Bionic Books (http://www.bionicbooks.com). Its easy to understand, does what you need and doesn't make life complicated. And its free. Doesn't get any better than that.

Collapse -
Try NolaPro
by Shelley_Elmblad / December 10, 2008 3:33 AM PST

I agree with others who say you should have an accountant. Even if you do your own bookkeeping with accounting software, you should have a professional handle verifying your entries and handling your income taxes.

I personally like NolaPro the best. This software provides basic accounting software for free with reasonably-priced add ons. You can find them at nolapro.com. If you have a very small business, LessAccounting.com may be a good choice for you as well.

If you are interested, I have an overview of NolaPro and some other accounting software at
http://financialsoft.about.com/od/smallbusiness/tp/Accounting_Software.htm .

Best of luck to you!
Shelley

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!