Windows Vista forum

Question

Account unknown(S-1-5-5-0-649118)

by liashwinnux / April 15, 2012 11:06 AM PDT

Friends,

Whenever i am downloading any file or creating any file/folder then an unknown account (Account unknown(S-1-5-5-0-649118) is created in the property/security section.

Please let me know if anyone is having idea how to get rid of this ?

Thanks for your time and help.

Ashu.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Account unknown(S-1-5-5-0-649118)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Account unknown(S-1-5-5-0-649118)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Property/Security section.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 10:11 PM PDT

What section is this Property/Security section? I'm not at all clear on what you found.

It may be that this is some sort of .Net Framework account what Windows sometimes create, in which case it can safely be ignored.

Mark

Collapse -
Folder
by liashwinnux / April 16, 2012 4:46 AM PDT

For example, when i download any word document file from internet to my laptop. After downloading the word document to my laptop, i right click on the word document - properties - security.

Here i am seeing Account unknown(S-1-5-5-0-649118) is created. This is happening for not only downloaded files but also if i create any new folder or new file on my laptop, this Account unknown(S-1-5-5-0-649118) is assigned to those newly created folders/files.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
Re: security settings
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 16, 2012 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Folder

With me here, I only see 4 lines in the "Groups and users":
- Verified users
- SYSTEM
- Administrators
- Users
What do you see?

It looks like the interal code of some Windows account or so that you deleted. Since it doesn't seem to exist anymore, I shouldn't worry about it having certain access permissions to your files.

Kees

Collapse -
Without knowing a whole lot more ...
by Edward ODaniel / April 18, 2012 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Folder

than you should be telling us about your specific internet and network configuration we are going to have to let you discover your own DEFINITIVE answer. This link should help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243330

For a simple answer I personally would say to ignore it and not worry about it because the S 1 5 5 0 indicates an NT Authority logon session SID (Security Identifier). This is a well known SID and is normal in Windows - it DOES NOT signify any security lapse or "hacking" or anything else of concern. Modifying access permissions though could cause some unforeseen problems with the files.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.