Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Accidentially uninstalled IE7 - won't reinstall - any ideas?

by Rob10 / September 7, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

I'm running XP/SP3 and in an attempt to make more room on my C Drive partition, I accidentialy uninstalled IE7. I downloaded it from Microsoft and went through the install process, which seemed to go fine. However, after I restarted, there was no IE7, just the installer sitting on my desktop. I looked in My Programs, even searched from the stat menu Search function, but nothing. Any ideas? Also, in the process of making more space, the stupid "wizard" deleted all my Restore Points, so that is unfortunately not an option.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accidentially uninstalled IE7 - won't reinstall - any ideas?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accidentially uninstalled IE7 - won't reinstall - any ideas?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happens if you click start, run and enter....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 5:23 AM PDT

iexplore

Collapse -
Did a little...
by Rob10 / September 7, 2008 5:34 AM PDT

It ran me through choosing a few preferences, in an Internet Explorer page, which had my MSN Home page as one of the tabs. But, when I closed it out and tried to re-open IE, there was no launch icon. I guess the darn program is here somewhere, there's just no way to launch it.

Collapse -
"there was no launch icon.'
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Did a little...

So why not make one? Has anyone showed how to make a "shortcut"?

Collapse -
Tried that
by Rob10 / September 7, 2008 5:44 AM PDT

I need to make a shortcut from something, but I haven't found a suitable spot. If I try the folder named Internet Explorer in C:Program Files, the only options to make a shortcut from are folders like Connection Wizard, en-US, MUI, Plugins, and Sign Up. No blue E

Collapse -
So you need help to change the Icon on a shortcut?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried that

Sorry, but be sure to just ask. Or just use google.
Bob

Collapse -
I just found it
by Rob10 / September 7, 2008 5:53 AM PDT

Using your idea of typing into Start/Run, I typed in IE7 this time instead of iexplorer, and in the list was the familier blue iexplorer.exe, which I made a Desktop shortcut from and I'm back in business. Thanks Bob!

Collapse -
Glad you got it done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I just found it

Hopefully this little escapade helped you learn a new trick.
Bob

Collapse -
Hopefully I'll remember it!
by Rob10 / September 7, 2008 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Glad you got it done.

I've never used Run for anything but Regedit and MSConfig. Now I know. Thanks Bob!

Collapse -
Houston, we have a problem...
by Rob10 / September 8, 2008 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Glad you got it done.

OK, I thought I had 'er licked, but the version of IE is not working right. First of all, there are no tabs and other things look a little different. Next, when I type a website into the address bar and hit enter, it opens a Firefox window for the site. I have clicked Help/About Internet Explorer to see what freaking version I ended up with, and it errors out. Any more ideas? Is there a "repair" for IE like earlier versions7? If I just uninstall IE with Revo Uninstaller and get rid of registry entries that might corrupt a "clean" install of IE7, will I lose My Favorites?

Collapse -
No repair feature...
by John.Wilkinson / September 8, 2008 9:46 PM PDT

But if you use Revo you will not lose your favorites, which are stored outside of the browser itself. That's the rout I would take at this point.

John

Collapse -
Thanks John...Anyone ever uninstall per Microsoft's method
by Rob10 / September 8, 2008 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: No repair feature...

I was looking on MS' site and they had an uninstall method for IE7 using the Start/Run menu. Would this be a safer, better bet than Revo?

"If Windows XP SP2 or Windows XP SP3 is installed on the computer, uninstall Internet Explorer 7. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In the Currently installed programs list, click Internet Explorer 7, and then click Remove.

I guess I'm a little apprehensive about removing a program that's so "Microsoft" using a third party uninstaller

Collapse -
That's just the standard Control Panel method...
by John.Wilkinson / September 9, 2008 12:32 AM PDT

appwiz.cpl is just the short to the Uninstall Software section of the Control Panel.

John

Collapse -
Update...what worked
by Rob10 / September 12, 2008 11:49 PM PDT

I tried the first method from Microsoft Help and Support (the appwiz.cpl method), which just brought up the Add/Remove Programs list with no Remove button for IE just like before. So, I tried the second method...

Method 2: Use Spuninst.exe to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
Step 1: Make hidden files and hidden folders visible
a. Click Start, and then click My Documents.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
c. Click the View tab.
d. In the Advanced settings list, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Back to the top

Step 2: Run Spuninst.exe to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then click OK.
c. Follow the wizard instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 7.

That was the ticket! Thanks to everyone who resopnded!

Collapse -
Exporting "My Favorites"...
by glenn30 / September 9, 2008 9:55 AM PDT

If you have concerns about loosing your favorites back them up. In IE7 under the "File" menu choose "Import and Export" and follow the wizard.

Save them some place off the main computer in case the whole system goes down. I save mine to USB Flash Drive and that is backed up to an external hard drive. You may have your own method such as a CD.

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?