Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Accessing password protect documents after reinstalling XP

by kkb_28 / March 20, 2006 12:03 AM PST

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me in solving a little problem that I overlooked.

I had XP OS on C drive and my documents on D drive. I recently had to reinstall my OS on C drive from scratch due to a bug, trying to make sure that I installed it in the same manner.

Everything proceeding fine, until I went to access my documents on D Drive. In the inital setup I had set security/privacy access to limit only me seeing my documents, now after reinstallation I can no longer access my documents due to it not recongnising me as the account holder or administator. I can access all other documents shared etc.. but not mine.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I know for a home computer I maybe in hindsight should not have set it up like this, but it seemed the right thing to do when prompted by XP.

Anyway if anyone can help me or suggest how to fix it it would save my documents.
thanks
kay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accessing password protect documents after reinstalling XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accessing password protect documents after reinstalling XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Knoppix
by joesmithers06 / March 20, 2006 12:54 AM PST

So long as you didn't encrypt the files, the fastest method would be to use a Knoppix boot CD. You may have to burn them to a CD or move them to a USB flash drive if you used NTFS for the internal drives. Knoppix will only read NTFS partitions, it won't write to them.

Collapse -
A little more about Knoppix
by kkb_28 / March 20, 2006 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Knoppix

Hi thanks for the info on Knoppix. I've looked on the their respective websites and it seems I should download the entire suite of programs and then burn onto a CD or USB pen.

After that would I simply use it as a bootup disc? I'm not familar with the software, if you have any experience on the software and how to proceed step by step to recover my password protected docs it would be really helpful.

many thanks
kay

Collapse -
Before downloading
by Darton Fury / March 20, 2006 2:42 AM PST

anything, you might try an easy method to regain your inaccessible files. Logon in safe mode using the admin account. Locate the drive, R-click and open its properties. Security, Advanced, Owner Tab. Change the ownership to yourself. Check the box, "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects."

Collapse -
I agree.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2006 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Before downloading
Collapse -
If for some reason you are not able to gain ownership
by retired / March 20, 2006 4:08 AM PST

and need Knoppix.

Saving data using KNOPPIX from an XP system that will not boot.due to an OS crash.

Go here for instructions to make a Knoppix CD.

http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

Go here for more Knoppix instructions and uses

http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

My instructions guide you thru burning files to a CD because the procedure from the web site leaves out some critical steps. It also requires that you have two CD drives, one must be CD/RW to write files to, the other will contain the Knoppix boot disc. (Note, You can also burn to floppy's, USB devices, such as Pen Drives, Hard Drives, E=Mail, Windows networking, Another HDD or partition. Check out the Knoppix Instructions for more ways to save Data)

Boot the computer using the Knoppix CD

Press Enter at the first prompt

After Knoppix has completed loading close the Knoppix desktop window.(Knoppix info)

Click the "K" in the lower left hand corner, this will bring up the start menu.

Enter the "Knoppix" subwindow and select "Root Shell".

this will open another window for passwords.

Type PASSWD and press enter (you may need to use the inner Enter key)

Enter a new unix passwd(One of your choice) and press Enter

Re-type new unix password and press enter. You should see "Password Updated Successfully"

Close this window

Click the "K" again, enter the "Multimedia" submenu and select (K3b CD & DVD burning)

It seems this is the first time you have started K3b, Click OK

click the Settings tab and select K3b setup.

Type the password you made earlier, Click OK

Configure KDE control module window will open, Click Apply.

Successfully updated permissions, click OK, Now click OK on the Control Module Window

Click New Data CD Project.

Move the window aside

Click Hard Disc Partition

Navigate to your data

Drag and drop the data to the K3b creator window.

Click Burn, Click burn again.

Should now be writing data.

Collapse -
thanks!
by kkb_28 / March 20, 2006 11:13 PM PST

thanks to all for helping out, after 6 months (can you believe it) I'm finally able to open my old documents.

I tried using the ownership method as posted by going into XP safe mode and it worked a treat. On the plus side I also now have exposure to Knoppix which is a very handy piece of software.

thanks to all for your words of wisdom!
kay

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm glad you got it sorted. Well done.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2006 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: thanks!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?