Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Accessing Outlook 2003 Contacts address book in Word 2003

by old codger / November 3, 2004 2:41 AM PST

I am at my wits' end! I have recently acquired a new PC and have installed Win XP and Office 2003 Professional. I have been using Word 97 (later Word 2000) with Outlook 97 for many years and have had no trouble in accessing my Outlook Contacts address book when I click the 'Insert Address' button in Word. Now when I try it in Word 2003, I get an error message which tells me I
must make Outlook my default mail client. I DO NOT wish to do this - I already use Outlook Express very satisfactorily as my default email handler.

I have spent many hours - nay, days, trying to solve this problem. I have tried the MS Outlook and Word newsgroups, many MS KB articles, the MVP.org website,
Outlook and Word 'Help' folders, etc, etc, etc, but cannot find a solution.
As far as I can see, Outlook 2003 and Word 2003 seem have taken me one step forward and two steps back!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accessing Outlook 2003 Contacts address book in Word 2003
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accessing Outlook 2003 Contacts address book in Word 2003
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Accessing Outlook 2003 Contacts address book in Word 200
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 4:09 AM PST

An interesting problem.

Office 2003 Professional was designed primarily for businesses, and Outlook is the business preferred email client, so I wonder if Microsoft have slipped up there, in not giving you the choice.

There is a work around, but I'm not sure it is very satisfactory.

Turn off your internet connection then open Outlook, (it should still be on your system). Outlook will probably say that it is not your default email client and do you wish to make it so. Click "Yes".

In Outlook you may have to import your address book from Outlook Express. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that., (but I would make a back-up of the address book first and store it somewhere).

Close down Outlook, open up Word and insert your address.

When done, open up Outlook Express, and it will then ask if you want to make it the default email client. Click Yes.

Like I say, it's a bit cumbersome. Perhaps you would only need to do this once, to set up Word, but I fear not.

Mark

Collapse -
by old codger / November 3, 2004 6:14 AM PST

Thanks, Mark, but I'm afraid it doesn't work.

Point is that I can access my Outlook Contacts address book from Word when/if I've set Outlook as my default email handler. But - and this is the big BUT - when I go back and set Outlook Express as my default email handler, access to my Contacts address book in Word is denied me.

There's another error message which appears after I 'OK' the message I've quoted re Outlook. This is:
'Logon failed. You must log on to Microsoft Exchange to access your address book. Error code: unspecified error. '

I know nothing about MS Exchange. I've searched everywhere for this one too, including the MS KB, but no answers. It seems to be a common problem, as it's mentioned lots of times on the MS newsgroups, but no satisfactory answers.

Any other ideas?

Best

Collapse -
Re: I can't think of anything else.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 8:07 AM PST

Hi again.

I'm sorry that work around didn't work. Like you I don't know Microsoft Exchange.

You say you have tried Microsoft's Knowledge Base and other forums, so I don't know what else to suggest.

Hopefully someone else will pick this up for us and help you.

Sorry m8.

Mark

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 3, 2004 8:54 AM PST

Codger,

Microsoft Exchange is "exchange server" based e-mail which is used by many corporate organizations. The main Exchange server is run by the organization and handles all the internal mail of the company. There's no need to download the mail from a "POP3" server on the internet, but instead a direct connection to the server allows you to immediately view your Outlook mail folders from the server. Outlook is the main e-mail client for Microsoft Exchange servers because it incorporates well with that system.

Because I can't make the programs do what you want either, I'm going to make a guess that Microsoft has done this on purpose. It's their answer to "security". Both Office 2002/XP and Office 2003 have a great deal of security additions that previous versions of Office did not have. It's the reason that Outlook XP and 2003 no longer allow certain types of attachments to be received while earlier version could.

The newer versions of Outlook are considered much more secure than Outlook Express and that might explain why you can no longer leave OE as the default mail client when using the "Insert Address" button in Word 2003.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by old codger / November 3, 2004 1:32 PM PST

Thanks, Grif.

From what you say, it looks like I do not need anything to do with MS Exchange, as I'm a single-operator home PC.

Otherwise, you seem to be suggesting that I should use Outlook 2003 as my default email handler, and that no other solution is possible. Is this correct? What are the pros and cons of using OE(6) vis-a-vis OL2003 for this pupose?

For obvious reasons, I must be able to access my address book from Word 2003. Is there a work-around that will permit me to do this? Is there some other way that I could copy my Outlook Contacts folder into an address book format that I could access from the Insert Address button in Word 2003?

Best

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!