Question

accessing internet

I have a fairly new dell desktop with Windows 7 that is connected directly to a wireless router. Two lap tops are wirelessly connected, and another desktop is directly connected to the wireless router. The last three connect to the internet throught this router without any problem. With the new desktop however I cannot access any webpage, either through IE9 or Firefox. It would appear that it is not the router but some setting on the new desktop. Two of the pcs run Windows 7, one runs Vista and one runs XP. I have ZoneAlarm running but IE9 is a "trusted program." I have the ZA firewall enabled at a medium level. I have disabled the Windows firewall. I also have Avast antivirus and SuperAntispyware. All of these programs have been running on my computer since the beginning and only lately have I had a problem. I can't identify any change that I made to the pc at the time the problem started. Any help appreciated. Bob Dore Operating System: Windows 7

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: accessing internet
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: accessing internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Try system restore ...

back to before this problem started if you're sure it isn't the cable or the router.

But first:
- The LED's on PC and router all as they should be?
- Is the new PC connected to the router (check the router management page from the other PC)?
- Does this PC work in your home network (accessing other PC's)?
- Any problems in Device Manager?
- What exactly does ipconfig say on this Windows 7 PC?

Kees

- Collapse -
accessing internet

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Thank you for your prompt response and good questions.

I tried System Restore several times and on each try it said something to the effect that it was unable to finish and had made no changes (no reason given).

I am comfortable that the cable and the router are both okay. The LEDs all seem to be okay. Device Manager doesn't indicate any problem. BUT

ipconfig indicates what I would expect to see except for the following: 1) under the heading of Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection, the line Connection-specific DNS Suffice: is blank; 2) under the heading of Tunnel adapter isatap, the line "Media State" says "Media disconnected" and the line below that (Connection-specific DNS Suffix is blank; 3)under the heading Tunnel Adapter Local Area Connection*9, the lines Media State shows "media disconnected" and the line Connection-specific DNS suffix is blank; and 4) under the heading Tunnel adapter Toredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface, the line "Default Gateway" sows just two colons (:Happy. When I went into the Network and Sharing, it showed the new pc (and one printer attached by cable to the new pc) as the only components of the network, that is none of the other of the pcs appeared. I have Network Magic on all pcs. It shows all four pcs as part of the network and the network connected to the internet.
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">
I hope that this helps. Thank you for your help. Bob

- Collapse -
accessing internet

further - when I go to HomeGroup on the new pc it says it is connected to network 3. All of the others show a connection to a network with a different name. In the network map it shows my new pc connected to a big question mark, which is in turn connected to the router. I tried to change the new pc to the other network but it keeps telling me that I am already connected to network 3.

CNET Forums