Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Accessing IE 10 sites and pages

by deanvet / October 14, 2013 1:38 AM PDT

My wife's Windows 7 home premium on a HP desktop computer with IE 10 is unable to properly access web pages. The computer boots properly and quickly. All installed programs also work properly including Windows Live Mail.

However, when launching IE 10, any page will take several minutes to load, may not load at all or may even lock up IE. Some links will open with a left click but take several minutes. A right click/open will usually get to the link but still has the same problems loading. Using Bing has the same results.

AVG internet suite has scanned and fixed what was found on the computer. I am using XP Pro on my computer using the same router and I have no problems. I have tried the usual unplug and replug, reboot, and examined all connections and setup with no improvment on the internet.

I have exhausted my knowledge and need guidance on what the problem might be and what to try next.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accessing IE 10 sites and pages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accessing IE 10 sites and pages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE 10
by pgc3 / October 14, 2013 1:58 AM PDT

Others have had issues with IE10. What I would do for now would be to roll back to IE 9 and do an update, should you wish, at a later time.

Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / October 14, 2013 2:36 AM PDT

Several days ago, i had problems with IE 10 and resolved them with the MS provided "Mr. Fix it". It will do what's required to get MS products back to normal. It worked for me and addresses IE type problems besides the OS, check it out. i suggest you have broadband for best results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Accessing IE 10 sites and pages
by alexmartin11 / October 15, 2013 3:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
IE 10 problem
by deanvet / October 16, 2013 3:35 AM PDT

First, thanks to all who responded. I have the solution. Over the past week, after many attempts to call MS and listing the problem on several forums. I was able to find a number (1-800-576-5700)that was not asian and not trying to sell me a repair support. I could not get any overseas tech to get me to a U.S. MS tech nor could I get any support incountry by phone. The number above got to someone in Costa Rica who spoke excellent english although the connection was poor.

The IE 10 Problem is a known issue. The solution is to roll back to IE 9. The tech helped me do all of that for no charge becuse it was a known issue. This worked and my wife is happy again.

I asked the tech if the same issue is in Windows 8. The answer is yes, stay with IE 9. I still plan to stay with XP on my computer however.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?