Computer Help forum

General discussion

Accessing all of my Hard Disk (after partitioning)

by ahw30045 / February 23, 2004 3:27 AM PST

My HD crashed and I bought a Western Digital 160 GB drive. Because I had an Upgrade version of Windows XP Home, I had to format and partition with ME and then upgrade. In the process, I had to limit the size of the formatting to 137 GB (I had to go FAT 32 while formatting, but converted this to NTFS when finished.

Is there a way to "reclaim" this lost storage?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accessing all of my Hard Disk (after partitioning)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accessing all of my Hard Disk (after partitioning)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Accessing all of my Hard Disk (after partitioning)
by Yew / February 23, 2004 3:35 AM PST

You'll have to go back and redo your partitions (which means reinstalling the OS if you don't have something such as Partition Magic). Be sure to stop the first one at the 137GB mark, and then make another one to pick up the slack. You can set up a simple software RAID configuration later to make it all appear as one partition to the OS or just leave it as two different partitions that show up as different drives. The choice is yours, but you have to do one or the other to reclaim that space.

Collapse -
Re:Accessing all of my Hard Disk (after partitioning)
by Cursorcowboy / February 23, 2004 3:45 AM PST
Because I had an Upgrade version of Windows XP Home, I had to format and partition with ME and then upgrade. In the process

1. Questionable!

2. The article [Q303013] describes the Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can enable the capacity of your hard disk to exceed the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

Note: "Q331958" explains that if your computer has an ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) hard disk that is larger than 137 gigabytes (GB), 1) your computer may restart instead of resuming from hibernation, 2) you may experience hard disk corruption when your computer enters either standby or hibernation, and 3) you may experience hard disk corruption when Windows XP writes a memory dump file as a result of an unrecoverable Windows error (or Stop error), unless the system is subsequently patched.

Bill Gaston
Collapse -
Re:Re:Accessing all of my Hard Disk (after partitioning)
by ahw30045 / February 23, 2004 3:53 AM PST

Doesn't sound like something I want to get into after spending days reconstructing the HD.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Accessing all of my Hard Disk (after partitioning)
by Kees Bakker / February 23, 2004 5:51 AM PST

I don't know the disk management tools of Windows XP nor ME, but it seems as if there is 137 GB allocated and 23 GB not allocated. Can't you simply make a second partition of 23 GB, not touching the 137 GB partition. In Windows 98 I would use fdisk; no need even to use boot diskette, I think. XP might be different, but I don't see why I shouldn't be possible in some way.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Accessing all of my Hard Disk (after partitioning)
by Art / February 23, 2004 3:58 PM PST

Fdisk won't see that 25GB of freespace. Sometime this extra space that the bios sees but not the OS could cause problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?