Samsung forum

General discussion

Access USB drive attached to TV from a PC ?

by peterned100 / February 6, 2010 5:00 AM PST

Hi,

if I have a USB stick/HDD attached to my TV [40B750], is there any way to transfer files from my PC to the USB stick, and to delete files on the USB stick from the PC?
Or in other words, can I share the USB stick?

I'm asking because with DLNA there's no fast forward/rewind which is a huge disadvantage, but via USB that's not a problem.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Access USB drive attached to TV from a PC ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Access USB drive attached to TV from a PC ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Access USB drive attached to TV from a PC ?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 6, 2010 8:35 AM PST

peterned100,

Other than copying the fies to the USB drive, that should allow you to use Media Play functionality on the television.

--HDTech

Collapse -
thanks but I don't understand
by peterned100 / February 6, 2010 4:40 PM PST

thank you for the reply HDTech, but I do not understand it.

I didn't mean to attach USB stick to PC, copy files to it, then attach it to TV and watch the files. I know that's possible and it works OK, but involves moving the USB stick back and forth all the time.

I want the USB stick permanently attached to the TV. And while USB stick is attached to the TV, to copy files to it from the PC via Ethernet. PC and TV are connected with a LAN cable.

Say I have test.avi on my PC. Can I transfer it like this
PC -> LAN cable -> TV -> USB stick attached to TV
and then watch test.avi from the USB stick ?

thanks

Collapse -
thanks but I don't understand
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 6, 2010 5:01 PM PST

peterned100,

Okay, I see what you're trying to do.

Unfortunately, the scenario you're looking at is not possible.

There are two ways to watch files.

1. From the PC, using PC Share Manager, which is an option on some models of televisions.

2. Copying the files to a USB thumbdrive and playing them through Media Play.

The kind of connectivity you're looking at - as far as copying the files to the thumbdrive through the television from the network connected to the computer - just isn't something the television is capable of doing.

On the other hand, having a large thumb-drive that you have to swap out occasionally is still better than burning all your movies to DVD... I wish I had a better answer for your setup, but that's what I know the televisions will do.

--HDTech

Collapse -
USB transfer
by jw650 / February 6, 2010 10:55 PM PST

Samsung's own firmware doesn't allow this, but it can be done by enabling ftp. Check out the SamyGo site for details. There's also a way to mount remote PC shares as a virtual USB, so you wouldn't need to transfer files as long as the PC is left running.

Collapse -
Thanks, that worked !
by peterned100 / February 10, 2010 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: USB transfer

thanks a lot for the tip jw650 !

Initially I trashed the idea, thinking that I have to replace the firmware with some 'hacked' one.

But indeed that was not the case, and the whole thing took me about 5 minutes.
I use the virtual USB option, and now the files from shared folders on my PC play as if they reside on a USB stick attached to the TV. I have fast FWD / RWND for .mkv's , can resume watching from where I left etc. All the extras, just great !!
-
A disadvantage is that browsing the files is slower compared to DLNA. So if a file plays OK through DLNA, I use DLNA.
-

For those who are interested, get the latest SamyGo All Extensions from here
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/samygo/index.php?title=SamyGO_Extensions_Pack
and follow the instructions. It's easy, but if someone needs I can post more detailed step by step instructions.

Collapse -
Extensions
by Rotty-LW / February 10, 2010 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, that worked !

Once you downloaded the extensions pack, what did you do? Did you just copy the files to a USB drive and plug the drive into the TV and that's it or were there some configurations that needed to be addressed? Also, did you copy the extensions to TV flash memory or was that even necessary?

Collapse -
Extensions
by peterned100 / February 10, 2010 2:44 PM PST
In reply to: Extensions

1. Download .zip file and extract the folder named "SamyGo" somewhere (the rest is not needed)

2. Open the file
\SamyGO\etc\init.d\04_04_samba.init
with a editor like UltraEdit or Notepad++ (or any that will preserve Unix-style line terminators, do not use Notepad & Wordpad). If the editor asks whether to convert the file to DOS/Windows format, answer NO.
Locate the lines
--
USER=""
PASSWD=""
--
and inside the quotes type your username and password (case sensitive) for the PC from which you'll watch movies. Some lines below you'll see
SERVER=""
There you may type the IP address of the PC, if it's fixed, to speed up finding it.
Save the file.

3. Copy the folder SamyGo to a FAT32 formatted USB stick. Acc. to the author NTFS -formatted stick will not work.

4. On the PC, share the folders where your movies etc. are - the same you shared in PC Share Manager.
Make sure to configure your firewall so that TV can access the PC. For this purpose, having a fixed IP for the TV may make that easier.

5. Attach stick to the TV, and press Content on the remote. Choose 'Manage content' -> USB -> Games -> select SamyGo Extensions and press Enter. (not sure about 'Manage content' name as my menus are not in English but you'll find it).
You'll see some weird colours for about 15-30 seconds, wait that to finish. Then press back button until you exit Content and return to normal TV view.

6. Press Media.P, then red button. You'll see some more devices, one of them named 'Samba..' - select it and you'll see content of shared folders.

Collapse -
Extensions
by peterned100 / February 10, 2010 4:25 PM PST

In addition to my previous post (why I can't edit my posts??)

Copying extensions to TV memory is not needed, you can run it from USB. On my LE40B750 copying to TV is not possible.
I found a post(which I can't find now) stating that on some models copying to TV is possible with factory settings. On models where it's not, one should enable the WISELINK WRITE somewhere in the Service menu to make it possible.
I haven't used the service menu so far and would appreciate if someone posts exactly what has to be pressed to enable WISELINK WRITE.

Starting extensions adds one more device named like "UpNP..". Haven't tested yet what it does, it's probably to be used with DLNA servers.

--
And a side note to Samsung:

It's quite obvious that adding this functionality to the TV isn't difficult. Why then one should use workarounds to have something so basic like FFWD/RWND etc.?

It's the same for viewing content from external HDD's / network shares via PC Share Manager - it can't be done. But if you map a drive letter to an external folder, all of a sudden you can view everything. Obviously no technical problem, but this annoying and easily fixable limitation still exists.

Another issue is that many models are technically capable of doing certain things (for instance play movies from USB) but by default that's disabled and has to be enabled via service menu. I do not see any reasonable explanation for this, aside of forcing customers to buy more expensive models.

All the above are examples for things that many customers want to have and which are very easy to implement, but are not. That's not the proper way to deal with people that pay thousands of $ for your products.

Collapse -
Extensions
by Rotty-LW / February 11, 2010 1:09 AM PST

Many thanks for your detailed instructions. I will give it a try tonight although some have stated that the 1017 firmware upgrade will make the extensions un-usable. I have the 1017 firmware so I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Collapse -
USB Transfer
by Julius181 / April 27, 2013 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, that worked !

Hi Peterned100

Being a Newbie..

I would like to get the more detailed step by step instructions if possible..

I am not too sure "WHERE" or how to put the SamyGo Extensions or the FTP stuff on the TV.??

Your assistance is appreciated (Much).!!

Regards

Collapse -
COPYING FILES FROM PC TO USB IN TV
by ganumor / February 11, 2010 9:50 PM PST

I would like to know how to copy files from my PC to the USB stick in the TV. I have a LE40B651T3W TV with T-CHL7DEUC-2005.0 firmware.

It is better to play movies from the USB stick as you dont therefore need the PC on at the same time, saving power and money!

Can this be done and if so could you tell me how?

Collapse -
Re: copying
by Kees Bakker / February 11, 2010 9:54 PM PST

Take the USB stick out, put it into your PC and copy the files to it. Then put it back.
Or is there something you didn't tell?

Kees

Collapse -
by ganumor / February 12, 2010 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: copying

I want to copy files over the network to the USB in the TV. This saves constantly having to disconnect/reconnect it, and as I stated earlier saves power if you could use this method.

Collapse -
What does the TV manual say ...
by Kees Bakker / February 12, 2010 1:19 AM PST

about networking and giving it a drive-letter on the PC. I'm afraid it doesn't tell anything, so then consider it a no-go.

Kees

Collapse -
by peterned100 / February 12, 2010 1:35 AM PST
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 12, 2010 10:58 AM PST

peterned100,

The file needs to be copied to a USB drive (with the correct extensions) as listed in the manual.

SammyGo isn't recognized by Samsung, so I can't speak on that.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by peterned100 / February 13, 2010 2:15 AM PST

Samsung_HD_Tech,

I think Samsung must after all recognize that your customers need that functionality, and do what's needed to provide it.
If a group of enthusiasts can do it(or maybe a single person, don't know who's behind SamyGo) then it should be a piece of cake for a corporation with huge R&D teams to provide such really basic functionality.

Collapse -
by ganumor / February 13, 2010 4:22 AM PST

Trouble is these Samsung tech guys dont seem to know anymore than what we can already find in the manuals!

Still working on this problem by the way. Have been told it can be done.

Collapse -
accessing usb from tv
by huh_rules / February 3, 2011 8:47 AM PST

Hi,

Thanks.All the methods you were suggesting here are to access a folder on PC from USB on the TV. I need to do the reverse. I need to access USB on the TV from my PC. Apparently my USB gets detected only on my TV and nothing else. I need to transfer all the files from this usb to my PC before sth happens to my usb.

Many thanks
Shiva

Collapse -
Have the same
by amag1975 / April 22, 2013 7:15 PM PDT
In reply to: accessing usb from tv

I have 1 TerraByte external hard disk and my TV is the only device able to read. I was looking how I can get the TV OS on USB to boot on my PC in order to transfer the data. I wasn't succesful.
Now I'm also looking to use my TV as share server over DLNA to transfer the data to my PC on a new HDD.

If any one has an idea or tool apart from this posts is welcome. In the meanwhile I will try something based on the post.

Thanks,

Adrian

Collapse -
Re: disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 7:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Have the same

If your TV is the only device able to read the disk, how did you manage to get any data on it?
What TV, by the way? And why do you need that data on a PC?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: disk - New!
by amag1975 / April 23, 2013 5:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: disk

Hi,
I used this external HDD to put mainly movies onto it. Unfortunately the last time during the data transfer it got disconected by accident. Now the PC is not able to read the content anymore, it says disk sector error. I've tried with diffrent data recovery software with Windows, Mac OS, and Linux versions like CROS, Ubuntu, Knoppix.
My Samsung Smart TV LED 5000 generation is able to read the whole disk. I have more 600GB data on it which I want to recover if possible all or at least a part.

Cheers,

Adrian

Collapse -
Re: disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 5:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: disk - New!

I'm afraid this is a good example of what we use to say here "You only use what you don't backup". Which implies if you don't make a backup of a file, you don't mind losing it (because if you don't wan't to lose it, you would have made a backup).

On a 100 $ 2 TB disk you can store 400 movies of 5 GB. That's 0.25 per movie. Not having a backup means you value them at less than 0.25 per movie (although a legal download averages more than $0.25). So why care about such a small insignificant loss?

Kees

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?