Question

Access multiple local ressource from the web

Hello,
Here is the situation. I have a few servers and resources on my local network. A Web server,a game server, a ventrilo server, a few ip cameras with web interface, an IR to IP bridge (web interface),a VPN, a few routers throughout the house, etc. I've been wondering how to get access to those devices from the web, in particular to be able to access the web interface of those devices. VPN access is excluded,I want to do it from a browser.
Right now my setup is pretty simple: I have a domain name,and my router is set to forward a :80 request to my web server.Same for the VPN and game serves,at their respective ports.However, I need to be able to access the other web interface,and since I cannot assign an external port to each device in the router table and add the port number at the end of my domain name (not possible of course), I need to find a way to access these other web interfaces.I was thinking of setting a webpage on the web server which lists all resources and their links,but I am not sure if it is possible.
For example,I create an admin page on my server asking for a login.Once logged in,a webpage appears displaying IPCam1 for example.Clicking on this link would forward to the local ressource,in this case 192.168.x.x:99 (the address of the cam web server)however,I do not know HTML and I am not even sure it is possible.
Any thoughts ? Thanks !

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Access multiple local ressource from the web
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Access multiple local ressource from the web
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
"since I cannot assign an external port to each device in th

"since I cannot assign an external port to each device in the router table and add the port number at the end of my domain name (not possible of course)"

Sorry but why is that not possible? It may be a lot of work but it is definitely possible.

Also, why does this need to be a web page? Why not an app?

Final question (I promise). Are you a programmer?
Bob

- Collapse -
You are right,but still prefer a webpage.

Thanks for the reply ! The reason why it needs to be a web page is because it must be accessible from any platform,be it an android smartphone,a mac,a windows PC or Ubuntu. And yes,although I am nowhere near an expert I am indeed a programmer with experience in both C++ and Java.Yes,I know,I could make a cool Java app instead of a webpage but I need cross platform compatibility.
As for the reason for not adding the ports at the end of the address you are absolutely correct,I made a mistake here. I tried it a while ago with ftp port 21 just to see if it would work in firefox,and sure enough it did not so I assumed all the ports were blocked,but I just made a search and see I am wrong here,since firefox only blocks some ports ( http://is.gd/nTlGDn ). That would be a possibility then,but are there any better ways ? It doesn't seems like a very clean solution.
Thanks again for your help.

- Collapse -
With that out of the way it sounds like you need an

Aggregator. That is, you'll have to take another computer that will access all those things with some app you write then serve up all this on a single web site or page.

That way any PC with a web browser points it at your aggrator server and you get what you want every time.

And yes, I've done such in the past. This app and server is now something your average second year college programmer can do.
Bob

- Collapse -
Documentation about this ?

Hello,
Any idea where I could find setup information about setting up such an aggregator server ?
What kind of code would be used ? I really have no idea how such a thing could be setup.
Thanks.

- Collapse -
Never found such a document.

I'm what they might call a seasoned programmer. If you don't design and write apps then all this may sound like a mystery. But it's been done many times.

Most web pages you see such as a web site with stock quotes and news is another form of aggregation. I'm sure we can't cover all you need to know in this small space but we did summarize it.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Sharing port 80

If you have a extra machine around you can make yourself a load balancer. It is a little tricky but there are a couple of free software options you can use under linux.

The theory of how this is done is you port forward 80 to the load balancer. Then you register multiple DNS entries to the same ip. For example server1.mydomain.com and server2.mydomain.com
What happens is the load balancer looks into the URL and sees that the domain the user actually requested and then it forwards the request to the real internal server. It then keeps track of this open session and forwards packets.

This mostly only works for HTTP since the header contains the original URL but it may work for some other protocols.

- Collapse -
too many subdomains

The problem I see with this solution is that I have to use a sub domain for each device,which might complicate access for the users connecting to it...
Thanks.

CNET Forums