Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Access management software for online products

by LibrarianSeekingAnswers / October 20, 2014 11:39 AM PDT

I am a librarian with a very limited technical background. I work for a government department with offices distributed across a large geographical area. Over the last 5+ years, we have amalgamated with other agencies and departments, all of which have been on different ICT systems. (I cant answer technical questions on our systems.)

Access to our online library services is IP address recognition. This means that until a staff member from a newly incorporated agency is brought into our ICT infrastructure, they cant access our library services. Also every time there is a change of IP addresses, we need to inform dozens of suppliers of our products. Finally new senior management wants to be able to track staff who use our services so that they can charge back to their unit (user pays).

What we want is a (relatively inexpensive) product which will register clients (preferably be able to upload client details, and not enter them manually), so they can access our services with one username/password (Is this a proxy server?), as well as track the usage of our products. This will also move us away from the IP address system we are currently using, and make our library services easily accessible both to new staff and in the mobile environment.

The previous project leader has looked at products such as Onelog, Athens, Shibboleth, and Ezproxy, which have traditionally been used by libraries. But there was always a problem with them, too expensive, or only allowed access, but didn't track usage, or vice versa (He has left and I cant find his report/notes, so I am basically starting from nothing).

I am now asking the ICT community if they can think of any software that might meet my requirements. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

(If this isnt the appropriate forum, please advise where I should go.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Access management software for online products
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Access management software for online products
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Too broad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2014 12:36 PM PDT

I did some apps for the VA decades ago. It was a database to track and report work but the internal IT struggles always meant such was a long road to the solution. Over the years I've come to a few answers. Pay for it, use an open source system, or write it and develop a thick rhino hide.
Bob

Collapse -
Access management software
by LibrarianSeekingAnswers / October 20, 2014 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Too broad.

Hi Bob, thanks for your input

I agree with your answers, but in my situation it is the "Pay for it", "off the shelf" solution that is the only viable option.
I will investigate open source, but I cant see management agreeing to that

Regards
Jennifer

Collapse -
Another system I deployed...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2014 1:50 PM PDT

Used MySQL for the backend. It was a major company and their IT didn't like it but would not pony up the bucks for Oracle or other. It went online over 9 years ago and has been on autopilot for 5+ years. Sometimes you have to go for open source/free since they won't pay.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.