HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Access issues..... Can't login

by robindg10 / April 8, 2010 1:41 PM PDT

I have a laptop with windows XP and I'm having a problem with user access ... When I turn the laptop on it doesn't ask which user to login anymore? It just goes directly to one of the login accounts, without asking for a password or anything. All of the other users including "Guest" have vanished? I tried going to "control panel" and then "user accounts" but it only shows one user, and the link to add a new user has also vanished... I have tried everything I can think of to rectify the problem, however here is the "kicker" when the system automatically logs me in, it's as a restricted user, meaning I don't have the privelidges to make any changes. It says I need to be an administrator, but it doesn't give me the option to login as any other user. I'm not sure if they are related issues, however it seems I can't fix the first problem until I fix the second?

Does anyone have any advice, I'm going crazy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Access issues..... Can't login
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Access issues..... Can't login
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / April 8, 2010 3:52 PM PDT

Click on the start menu and select log-off. Then you will be given the choice to log-off or switch user. Try selecting switch user and see if the other account are there.

Let me know what happens!

Collapse -
The user with "ADMIN ACCESS" has some how been deleted?
by robindg10 / April 17, 2010 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this...

Thanks for the tip, however my problem is that all the other users have vanished..... leaving only user remaining which doesn't have admin access. The "ADD NEW USER" tab has also dissapeared and when I try to ren searches or try to download any help the sytem tells me I don't have those access/privledges? I'm totally shut out..... I have also tried using the back door approach, but it is still blocking my limited access. At the moment, that laptop is useless to my business.

Any other suggestions? I'm definitely listening

Collapse -
Re: access issues
by Kees Bakker / April 8, 2010 6:28 PM PDT

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode? Normally, Windows XP has a 'secret' administrator account without password (unless you changed that) to login to, but it only shows in Safe Mode. If that works, you can fix it.

Download TweakUI form http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx and check the autologon settings. Or do it manually via regedit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

Could it be that some malware changed this setting to make it more difficult to remove? Better do a thorough check when you're up and running again.

Kees

Collapse -
Still no access
by robindg10 / April 18, 2010 3:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: access issues

I tried using the backdoor approah, however it still tells me I don't have access. Also, when I try to download anything it also alerts me to the fact I don't have those privledges as I'm not an administrator? Sooooo, as it stands, I can't change anything beause I need admin access, I can't download a fix because I need admin access, I can't use the back door because (even though it shouldn't) still says access denied, need admin authorization?

Open to anything right now...

Thx

Collapse -
User account access
by rossco902 / May 7, 2010 12:45 PM PDT

Hi i have exactly the same problem, & also don't know how to fix.

Collapse -
Tried these already....... Any other ideas?
by robindg10 / May 7, 2010 1:51 PM PDT

Hey everyone, thx for the great feedback, however I have tried all of these......

1) I went into safe mode and was told I need admin access
2) There is no option to change/switch users, or add a new user. These options have simply dissapeared.
3) If there is an option to make any changes, it promptly displays "Need admin access".
4) It won't even allow me to download anything, again, it tells me I don't have those privledges as I'm not an administrator.

Aaahhhhh.

Keep them coming, I'm not giving up yet.......

Thx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.