Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

access is denied when installing Malware Bytes

by pbattig / March 16, 2009 3:13 PM PDT

I have Windows Vista Home Premium and have been having some virus problems lately. I just installed Mcaffee Virusscan Enterprise and also manually had to get rid of antivirus 360 (that was tons of fun)
I tried to download Malware Bytes to make sure there wasn't anything else on the computer, but when I try to install it it says I don't have permission. I tried changing the install folder to something other than Program Files, but then the install stops when it's writing to registry key. I get this error: Error writing to registry Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\currentVersion\RunOnce
RegSetValueEx failed; code 5
Access is denied

I've checked my access rights and my profile is the only one on the computer, and I have administrator rights, I went to regestry edit and right clicked on the registry key to check permissions, and it looks normal. Full control is checked for administrator. Has anyone seen anything like this? What can I do to fix it? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: access is denied when installing Malware Bytes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: access is denied when installing Malware Bytes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Give the following a try......
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 16, 2009 3:16 PM PDT

Click on Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc and click OK

On the View menu click on Show hidden devices
Browse to Non-Plug and Play Drivers and you should see something like

TDSSspax.sys
TDSSServ.sys
gaopdxserv.sys
UACmxegjtve.sys

Highlight that driver and right click on it and select DISABLE - NOT uninstall.
Now RESTART your computer.

* Download a copy of Malwarebytes but DO NOT run it yet.
* Rename the downloaded installer file to any generic name such as your own name but keep the .EXE extension on the file and run it.
* Once the program is installed go to the UPDATE tab and try to update the program if you can.
* Then go to the SCANNER tab and run a Quick Scan and allow MBAM to fix anything found.

Does that help?

Collapse -
RegSetValueEx failed; code 5
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 17, 2009 5:35 AM PDT

According to MalwareBytes AntiMalware:

Check the permissions on that key. Error 5 means you don't have permissions for one reason or another.

also:

Dug deeper and figured it out. The writing of the RunOnce key was being blocked by a new version/rule set of McAfee VirusScan. By adding MBAM-SETUP.TMP to the particular rule's exclusions list within McAfee, the problem was resolved. Interestingly, I also had to add MBAM.EXE to another rule's exclusion list so that Internet updates would be allowed.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9735

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.