Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

ACCESS ERROR - OFFICE 2000

by Xp / November 1, 2004 5:31 AM PST

While reinstalling Microsoft Office 2000 because of a hard drive crash, I came up with the following error while trying to run Access for the first time (second, third, etc.) under Windows XP (home).

"A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX control.
Close the OLE server and restart it outside of Microsoft Access. Then try the original operation again in Microsoft Access?OK"

Access will not even start without the above error, continuously popping up. Everytime I click OK, Access closes and I need to retart the program. Anyone know how the above can be corrected? If so, please advise.

Please note that I have Office installed on my partitioned E: drive. I ran the Detect and Repair option available in Word (which, by the way, runs fine) but it didn't correct anything.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ACCESS ERROR - OFFICE 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ACCESS ERROR - OFFICE 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ACCESS ERROR - OFFICE 2000
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 5:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: ACCESS ERROR - OFFICE 2000
by Xp / November 1, 2004 6:36 AM PST

R. Proffitt,

Many thanks. Will review your post and reinstall (gee, all of my programs/hardware??? haha) if necessary.

Collapse -
Just office...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2004 6:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Just office...
by Xp / November 1, 2004 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: Just office...

R. Proffitt,

Got the ORK tool. If I read your response correctly, only Office needs to be reinstalled.

Many thanks...again.

Collapse -
Re: Just office...
by Xp / November 2, 2004 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Just office...

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the orktool. Tried it, and the tools cleaned up office better than the Add/Remove tool in the Control Panel of Win XP (Home).

I reinstalled MS Office 2000 and still couldn't get Access to work without the previously mention reference to the OLE.

Am now deinstalling each program that I have and reinstalling Office.

Any other hints you can suggest to help me get Access to run w/o the error?

Thanks,

John

P.S. I have an eMachine, 1GHz with 512 RAM. Also have a USB2Connect connected and a HP Scanjet 3500c hooked up. I deinstalled AntiVirus and tried the Office setup but it didn't work.

Collapse -
Did you try this one?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 6:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Did you try this one?
by Xp / November 2, 2004 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Did you try this one?

Hi Bob,

Yes...I did try the above as you suggested yesterday.

Didn't work, BUT...

I just got Access working a few minutes ago. Basically, I looked in the Event log to get hints.
Bottom line...successful installation after I changed the following services

Started COM+ System Application (Manual)
DCOM Server Process Launcher (Automatic)
Server (Manual)

Don't really feels safe as I really don't know how these services fit into the picture of installing Microsoft Office 2000. Will tweak for security as time goes on.

Many Thanks, Aloha, Mahalo, Gracias, Salamat, Dojay, etc. for stearing me in the right direction.

John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!