Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Access denied to mapped network drives and folders in Vista

by nelocke / July 1, 2009 5:10 AM PDT

Just bought a new pc with Vista Home Premium. I set up a small workgroup (named WORKGROUP) with new Vista PC and 2 PC's running XP. All computers see each other in the workgroup. I can map drives and folders between the XPs and I can also map to the drives and folders in the XP's from the Vista pc. However, I can not map to drives and folders on the Vista pc from the XP pc's. (Actually I can map to them, but when I try to open them, I get a "drive not accessible" message.) The drives and folders are set to share to "Everyone".

Need help, please.
Neal

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Access denied to mapped network drives and folders in Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Access denied to mapped network drives and folders in Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Keep in mind that 'Everyone' is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 6:57 AM PDT

'Everyone' in MS networking are those with an account. Since you don't have a domain or such but just workgroup did you check your accounts on each machine?

It's interesting to cover 'Everyone' versus 'Anyone.' If you want to allow access to 'Anyone' tell the forum how you would do that.
Bob

Collapse -
"Everyone" vs "Anyone"
by nelocke / July 1, 2009 7:42 AM PDT

I don't know the difference between "Everyone" and "Anyone". I'm just using the "Everyone" terminology that's in Vista. As far as telling the forum how I would allow access to "Anyone", I don't know how to do that.
Neal

Collapse -
Let's get the definition.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2009 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: "Everyone" vs "Anyone"

"Everyone" is everyone with an account.

"Anyone" is anyone, account or no account.

By default and a good thing is we have the Everyone scenario. Given that you would have YOUR account (let's call it sparta) and to test that sparta has the right access we would go to each machine and log in on as sparta. If we find a machine without a sparta account then we fix that and re-test.

What else I find is that sometimes the network share may not work for sparta so I have to unshare then re-share that item for Windows to catch on that sparta is an allowed person to access the share.

Hope that clears is up for you.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!