Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Access denied by access control list.

by dpmiller83 / November 7, 2003 9:12 PM PST

Any help or guidance regarding the following problem would be greatly appreciated.

I have recently set up a broadband connection. I am using one Origo router connected via an 8-port switch to a number of computers.

On two of the machines an internet connection is readily available, but on a further two, when an attempt is made to access internet explorer the following message is displayed:

-------------------------------------------

Forbidden
You were denied access because:
Access denied by access control list.

-------------------------------------------

I have limited knowlege on the subject but i am lead to believe that this is due to the router blocking the ip addresses of the problematic machines.
I have been able to ping the router from the problematic machine, so it is my guess that the problem is not in the connection.

I was informed that it may be to do with the routers 'firewall' although i have been unable to find any such settings within the router config.

A second opinion was that the ip of the problematic computers may be outside of the range set by the router. I have checked this, the problematic computers have ip's 10.0.0.5 and 10.0.0.6 (those working correctly have 10.0.0.7 and 10.0.0.10) and the settings within the router config (if i am looking at the right thing) specify the DHCP User Defined Start Address to be 10.0.0.4 and the End Address to be 10.0.0.15.

The problematic computers are identified on the router config screen and are listed as connected to the DHCP server.

As i say, i have very limited knowlege and have simply been trying to decifer the all this lingo over the past days.

If anyone could offer some guidance my way it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

David.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Access denied by access control list.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Access denied by access control list.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cross-posted, no OS mentioned.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2003 10:20 PM PST

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

Since we don't have a search feature, try to avoid cross posting or if you do, note that you will be posting in what forums so people don't duplicate their research on your issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Access denied by access control list.
by dpmiller83 / November 8, 2003 2:29 AM PST

The problematic machines are using Windows 98. Those machines which are successfully connected to the net employ windows 98 and XP.

Thje router used is an Origo ADSL router connected to a simple 8 prt switch. Each machine is fitted with a standard 10/100 network card, which is fully installed and connected to the LAN.

The problem occurrs when connecting via MS IE5.

Hope this helps.
Dave

appologies for cross-posting.

Collapse -
Possible trouble with Broadband line
by souvik_download / February 4, 2006 7:52 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.