iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

Accesing files with safari on ipad 1

by Ecanem / January 25, 2015 5:49 PM PST

Is there a way to upload files from the ipad 1 with safari to a webpage (cms), to attach on gmail, to access files (jpgs, pdfs, ...) with safari so you could upload them?

And any way to undo the reloading of webpages?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Accesing files with safari on ipad 1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Accesing files with safari on ipad 1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) What version of iOS is on that iPad?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 25, 2015 7:00 PM PST
Collapse -
Ios
by Ecanem / January 25, 2015 7:11 PM PST

I think the original one that was on ipad 1 from the beginning..
The ipad its kind of cool, but not beeing able to access fies or the upload stuff makes me crazy Happy
Thanks

Collapse -
Re: iPad
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 25, 2015 7:28 PM PST
In reply to: Ios

Could it be that an iPad isn't meant by Apple as a PC or Mac replacement? That would explain that it can't do exactly the same.

In https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/01/27Apple-Launches-iPad.html I read:
"SAN FRANCISCO—January 27, 2010—Apple® today introduced iPad, a revolutionary device for browsing the web, reading and sending email, enjoying photos, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, reading e-books and much more." This doesn't explicitely say "upload files", does it?

Kees

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
About reload.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2015 11:48 PM PST

A recent discussion noted 2 things.
1. Try private browsing.
2. Use another browser.

As to upload, it's a tablet. More of a content consumption device. I'm sure the how to select, copy and page across apps is in prior discussions as well as saving in Safari on iPad. I'll skip duplication here.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) What is your goal?
by Ilovemynote / January 26, 2015 12:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
What is your goal?
by Ilovemynote / January 26, 2015 12:49 PM PST

Are you trying to save webpage contents to read later? Send to someone? Please clarify....

The iPad doesn't allow upload and download from Safari because of how it is "sandboxed".
There is usually a work around, but without understanding what you are trying to do, I can't suggest a viable option.

Collapse -
What im trying
by Ecanem / January 26, 2015 3:36 PM PST
In reply to: What is your goal?

For example:
I save some files via itunes on my ipad ( jpgs, tifs )
Now i wanna upload them to a cms webpage, and browse button on the webpages interface is dissabled
Or when im on gmail or another mail webpage, the browse files / upload buttos are dissabled, i cant access them

Collapse -
TRUE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2015 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: What im trying

The iPad is unlike a Macbook or such. To paste a jpeg or image I switch to the app that has the image to copy then switch to the other page and paste.

Such limitations are normal but folk that rush from a laptop to a tablet often learn these differences the hard way.
Bob

Collapse -
This is why there is such a huge incentive...
by Pepe7 / January 27, 2015 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: What im trying

...with iOS to build/release a quality app. It's because all our 'normal' PC functionality is essentially locked out using typical web browsers w/ iOS devices. YMMV, since there are always exceptions, even w/ non-jailbroken iOS devices. The point is, you need a newer iPad (running iOS 7 or Cool in order to enjoy the most modern app experience that allows such functionality (some file management w/ a CMS). But to be honest, since you are already tethered to iOS and it's restrictive file access system, you are more or less SOL with iTunes as the intermediary. It will be between a server that hosts your files, dedicated app or cms system which as a browser interface w/ iOS 7 or 8.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?