Speakeasy forum

General discussion

ACADIA Heat Pump Update

John, and others interested in the Acadia Heat Pump:
The Acadia unit will use 40 Amps and the York System will use 60 Amps of electricity. Therefore you may need to update your electrical needs.
Typical update costs will be between $1,800-$2,400 for a new 30-breaker panel.
The electrical installation for my new Acadia and York system cost me $800+, plus material. I think about $1K+ total.
(I do not have the bill yet)
Wiring this unit is not easy.
My electricians also telephoned Hallowell International for installation advise during the install.

John, how did the installation go for you!

-Kevin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ACADIA Heat Pump Update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ACADIA Heat Pump Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Acadia performance

In reply to: ACADIA Heat Pump Update

Hi--

Seriously considering an Acadia heat pump. Am a Massachusetts resident (metro-west). Have seen some posts on this forum and want to connect with an Acadia owner for 1st hand experience feedback.

Thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) He usually posts after midnight eastern time

In reply to: Acadia performance

Collapse -
(NT) He usually posts after midnight eastern time

In reply to: He usually posts after midnight eastern time

Right on JP Bill! How observant. :

Collapse -
the Oktoberfest

In reply to: (NT) He usually posts after midnight eastern time

Collapse -
the Oktoberfest

In reply to: the Oktoberfest

Thanks, Jonah.
I am planning to be at the Hofbrowhaus in Munich. I will think of you when I say "Prost" with my first beer.
We will be having dinner there also for EUR 25.00 per person.
I plan on having a few beers there and other cities in Germany as well. I can't wait to go there.
I will take some photos and post them on the Digital Camera Forum for everyone to view.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Acadia heat pump

In reply to: (NT) He usually posts after midnight eastern time

Since it is so expensive, I really want some specifics about the savings. I live in PA, so it's not as cold as you, but our old heat pumps perform so poorly that the backup systems kick in constantly and cost a fortune. I really need to get a system that saves us enough to warrant the expense of putting it in.
How long have you had yours?
Does the mfg. have a warrantee? the contractor just gave us a 10 year parts and labor from him.
Any helpful advice?
Grandma Cyndy

Collapse -
Acadia heat pump

In reply to: Acadia heat pump

Cyndyralph,

My Acadia 3-ton unit cost $7,535 including the York Air Handler, shipping and taxes to my home in MA.
Every installation is different and the cost will vary. I have had my Acadia since Aug. 09 and I have saved considerable money compared to oil heat.
My advice is to follow our Forum Links from day one. You will learn everything you wanted to know concerning the Acadia two-stage heat pump and more! We all helped each other. It will help you also.

Everything is there to learn from a variety of conscientious homeowners.
(Example: A Canadian homeowner operating the unit from -30 below Zero F.)
How about that!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Acadia savings in Philly?

In reply to: Acadia heat pump

Kevin,
I have been following and read everything. Some is too technical for me to understand. We have a 3000 sq. ft. house and will be replacing 3 units for 3 zones. It will cost just under $40K. That is a lot of money for us if it doesn't save us money. Right now the propane backup is eating our budget and the electricity for the rest is very high. I think all together we are averaging $500 a month.
The Acadia dealer here told us that it would end up averaging about $100 per month. That is a huge savings. After reading the thread, I get the impression that no one is getting those kinds of results - although for most it is an improvement.
Many in the thread talk of additional costs for extra insulation and other modifications to help increase the savings. If we spend $40K for the new system, we won't have any money for additional changes. We want to make a wise decision - and since we don't get too terrible cold here (near Philly), perhaps a regular heat pump that is an upgrade for our broken units is better for us and then we can improve insulation and do some of the other changes that might be needed.
This is a very tough decision.
Does anyone have an Acadia for over a year in our area??
Grandma Cyndy

Collapse -
averaging about $100 per month.

In reply to: Acadia savings in Philly?

Collapse -
Near the top of this page is

"Search forums"
Enter "acadia" and search "within this forum".
Kevin and others have lots of blow-by-blow with pics.

Collapse -
Near the top of this page is?

In reply to: Near the top of this page is

drpruner,
It is interesting that you suggested that. Neat on your part.
I have been advising many on the Digital Camera Forum just what you suggested for about three years now. How easy to find.
Thanks for bringing up this little known fact for newer members to search for answers. :

Collapse -
Acadia performance

bkloungelizard,
Send me email from my profile and list your email address so I can send you further details on the Acadia and have you see it first hand.
Quite a unit. Tonight was my first time setting it on heat at 66 degrees on the programmable thermostat. Right now the outside air temp is 44 degrees at 1am, Sat., Sept. 20th.

From Milford or Framingham the drive time to my home is about one hour traveling Rte. 495 south, or MA Pike to Rte. 95S and to Abington.
I will be glad to show it to you after Oct. 4th.

-Kevin

Collapse -
(NT) Oct 4th. That include sober-up time? :-)

Collapse -
(NT) Oct 4th. That include sober-up time? :-)

In reply to: Oct 4th. That include sober-up time? :-)

drpruner,
I will need a German draught beer at the Frankfort airport so I do not loose my buzz before heading home. I wonder if they serve a 32 Oz.?
I love European beers and ales.
Have you seen the introduction of the new American ALE from Budweiser?
I have not tried it yet.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g8LA8yCI6S2wQ5oJpTOQyoYHb1VQD93A019G0

That intro comes from the new owners of Bud in Belgium.
How I love Belgium beer and ale. The best in the world!!
I'll drink to that!

-Kevin

Collapse -
All I drink now is Euro-style beers

In reply to: (NT) Oct 4th. That include sober-up time? :-)

from microbreweries; there's an especially good one in NM near MacMullen. I get to drink whatever he leaves. Happy
The only Euro-style I don't like is the Honey Lager. I can see what they're doing with it, but it's just too sweet. My wife uses that one for cooking.

Collapse -
All I drink now is Euro-style beers

In reply to: All I drink now is Euro-style beers

drpruner,
I will make a list of good German beers for us in the next two weeks.
How does your wife use Honey Larger beer in cooking?

-Kevin

Collapse -
thanks

Couldn't find your email on profile? Anyways, I spent a while running the numbers (Acadia v. Repacing old oil furnace) and while the cost variables of oil price and electicity use (and cost), the Acadia is not cost advantageous until about year 9 or 10. However, I may hold off one season and hopes that the Acadia prices come down. So I may be very intersted in checking out your set-up. Thanks again for the, have fun in Europe. Prost!

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: thanks

bkloungelizard,
You too!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Hallowell Heat Pump

We had a Hallowell Acadia 4-ton system installed last winter. Total installed cost was $16,000. This unit has been a huge disappointment. Our electric bill went through the roof and when the outside temp dips below 20, the unit struggles to keep our very well insulated house above 65. We live in Maine, about 15 miles from the Hallowell company. They were supposed to come out last week and replace the entire unit, but it was another no-show with no call to reschedule. Very poor communication and a product that has been a frustrating failure for us.

Collapse -
Hallowell Heat Pump-Exete, NH

In reply to: Hallowell Heat Pump

exeter5050, Holy molly!!
What a shame. Stay in there and have it replaced ASAP.
I wonder what the manufacturing or installation problems are?
I feel sorry for you. Jeese!
So close to Hallowell and so yet so far away.

-kevin

Collapse -
ACADIA Heat Pump Update

Here is more information you will find helpful.
National Electric Work 2008

In order to run and power the Acadia Heat Pump and the York Internal Air Handler you will need 100amps of additional electrical power service and a new 30-breaker panel box.
? New 3-wire service installed with a new external meter.
Looks nice to see this after 40 years of having only 100amp service. What a difference with a new 3-wire installation. The look is impressive.
http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newelectricalservice200uk9.jpg

? The new 30-panel breaker box, internal. Our local codes in MA require the service panel to be easily accessible and to have nothing in front of the box.
http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200ampservicepanel0885cq1.jpg

? The new 30-panel box internal open showing the breakers and being identified.
http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200ampservicepanel0893uy5.jpg

Most new upgrades for changing an electrical service will cost between $1,800 and $2,400. In my case the cost was $1,900. (Only because I had used the same electrician the month before to install new ceiling lights and to upgrade all wall switches, dimmers and to install new exterior lighting fixtures that I had already purchased.)
So, I was a good customer and I did not have to pay $2,400. It also helps to pay 50% up front to know you mean business with a reputable contractor that you trust and are satisfied with. Ditto for any contractors that have treated you right with professional work.
I have a list of great contractors that I trust and a list of contractors that are on my
do-not-call list. Live and learn as we all do.

There are professional service groups that will help you and give you three or more contractors to bid on for any needed work or services:
One is ServiceMagic.com that I used to have house painted this spring.
(Low bid of $3,200 and a high of $5,800+).
The 2nd one is QualitySmith.com I used for my Acadia Heat Pump.
I am happy with both services. Free quotes to you. Nice professional reps that call you to make sure you are satisfied with their services and contractors recommended.

Well, I hope this helps anyone here on CNET.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Acadia info

I am in the process of getting prices on the Acadia system. I have an oil fired forced air system now which need to be replaced. As of yesterday, I could purchase heating oil at 2.44 p/g. I would like to know the difference in your current electric bill. Has it increased sharply? I am just trying to find as much info as possible so I dont have any surprises later on. I sure would love to get off the oil. Wink Thanks.

Collapse -
Hybrid

In reply to: Acadia info

After spending a great deal of time researching the Acadia and other options, we just finished the install of a hybrid system: Carrier heat pump and new oil furnace. Total cost well less than Acadia alone. Ability to set switch-over temp (from HP to furnace). Set now at 30 degrees and working beautifully and efficiently (aside from a zone baffle that needs replacement). Cant speak to costs yet, but do note that when we started #2 oil was about/over $4 and just had first fill (< 1/2 tank) for $2.45.

Collapse -
HYBRID?

In reply to: Hybrid

bkloungelizard,
Good news for you and to see that you are happy with your hybrid system.
As I understand it, the Carrier heat pump will be good for outside temperatures of 40 or 30 degrees and than the oil system will supplement your heat. My oil heating contractor tried to sell me on that idea as well. I did not go that way.

The Acadia 3-Ton system cost was $7,535 including shipping and MA sales tax. Installation and duct work totaled $975 for the Acadia unit.
Labor for duct removal, reconnect and heat pump piping: $1,900

Upgrade with electrical for a 200 AMP Service was $1,900. Electrical wiring for the Acadia and York air handler was an additional $975.

Total cost was $13,585.

My pay-back will be in 4-5 years. Not bad!

bkloungelizard, at least you, I, and a lot of us are trying to save on the high cost of home heating here in the U.S. and are trying to combat the high cost. Wish us all good luck!
Go to moterearthnews.com to see more energy savings.

-Kevin

Collapse -
electric

In reply to: HYBRID?

Hey Kevin- Any info on the difference on your electric bill? It seems like nobody ever mentions this important fact. I have an installer coming today for an estimate on the Acadia. The first quote I received was 13K without the upgrade to 200 service. I already have the duct work.

Collapse -
electric bill?

In reply to: electric

hermanatorz,
A very important question by you and that everyone should be concerned of: Electric BILL.
All I can list are the last few months of my electric bill for you.
I have an 80 gallon electric water tank that also consumes a ton of amperage and high cost. I really should get rid of this hog and downsize to a 53 gallon water tank since it is only for my wife and I.
There is a hot water system in the offing from Acadia to be introduced by Hallowell next year. Check it out on their site: gotohallowell.com

There is also a hot water system ON DEMAND on the market. I know nothing of that system or how it works.

Here are my electric charges so far with the Acadia running A/C and heating.
7/24?$101.42
8/8??$146.42
9/16?$118.89
10/20?$98.02
The average cost for central A/C here in MA from the National grid is $125 per month. The Acadia A/C is fantastic and really inexpensive to run. I do not know really why?
Last year with two small window A/C units running cost me a lot more.
There was also extra charges from National Grid to cover the high cost of energy delivery to me. (Very high!)
5/14/07?$115.61
6/25//07?$188.28
8/20/07?$243.33
10/17/07?$207.46

So far, it looks like I am saving on A/C using the Acadia Heat Pump.
Who knew!?

hermanatorz, you will have an extra charge on duct work in order to hook up the York Air Exchanger to your present cold air returns and hot air ducts. Not that expensive.
Do yourself a favor and go for a five inch air filter system that fits under the York unit. It is well worth it and will keep your home cleaner. I love that feature. Air filter replacements can be purchased from Home Depot, or any other general retailer. Very easy to change. Really a nice feature. My wife loves it also!

The touch pad thermostat can be programed to suit your needs.
I prefer not to run a programed mode and only want to utilize the simple temperature settings for up or down on the thermostat.
The Acadia outdoor unit has a huge fan and bugs the heck out of my wife. She thinks it is noisy. I think that it savings to my ear.
The interior York air handler is so quiet you will never know when it is on or off. A/C or heat. Very gentle air flow.

Well I hope this helps you hermanatorz.

So far so good for me. The A/C is fantastic. Heat is gentle mixed with your cold air return. Do not look for a blast of hot air while the system is running. Will not happen.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Electric Bill with Acadia

In reply to: electric bill?

Kevin,
The $2000 one-month electric bill we received was for the first month after instllation. The unit was screwed up and running on emergency heat. We didn't know that and our installer came out several times and "adjusted" the unit. Bills for the rest of the winter were in the $400 range. Still a far cry from what we had been led to believe they would be. This fall the unit wasn't keeping the house warm and when we finally got the installer to come out and check it, he said the compressor was blown and set the unit to emergency heat. Just got my electric bill for the month...$757. A crew from Hallowell was supposed to be out last Friday to replace the entire unit, but they never showed up. BTW, our house has blown-in fiberglass in the walls, attic, and roof, new windows and doors, etc. We keep the thermostat set at 70 all the time. Looks like I'll have to put a wood stove back in just to stay warm.

Collapse -
Acadia Information

In reply to: HYBRID?

Hi-

I would like to hear more about Acadia pricing from anyone that has installed one of their systems. Specifically - did you get the 3 or 4 ton system? What did you pay for the inside air handler, the outdoor unit, and the labor for install?

Thanks,

David

Collapse -
ACADIA Info

In reply to: Acadia Information

ACADIA/YORK-Hallowell 12-27-08
David,
My home has only 1,549 sq. ft. of living space and the Acadia that I purchased was a 3-ton unit. If your home is large you may need a 4-ton unit. Contact Hallowell for that.
Cost of equipment for the 3-ton Acadia and York air handler w/tax and shipping was $7,535.16. The price had no mark-up on the equipment and was nice to hear for me.

Proposed cost was $10,710 which included all labor for my old oil system & tank removal and all duct work hook up to the York air handler as well as the materials charges and a 5? air filter. My heating contractor installed the Acadia and York unit in eight hours with two men working.
Electrical charges for me were $1,900 for a new 200-amp service with a 30-panel box and $1,000 for the electrical hook up for the Acadia and York unit plus the eight-wire thermostat. The electrical work took two full days with two men working 16 hours each.
The 3-ton Acadia uses 40 amps and the York needs 60 amps for pure electric emergency heating if the Acadia does not work for some reason. So, if you have only a 100 amp service, you will need a new 200 amp service. Not sure what the 4-ton Acadia will need for amperage.

After installation and initial running, you will need a further charge to the second compressor (cost built in to the original quote.)
Most times you will notice the air handler blowing almost luke-warm. The air handler does not blow really hot air since it blows air mixed with your cold air returns and the warm air from the York unit.
Above all, hire a heating contractor that is experienced with the Acadia and the know-how to wire it.
Hallowell has a help line from their engineers to customers and heating contractors that is awesome! Great company.
The A/C during the hot summer months is fabulous. Can get really icy cold as you want.
I keep the A/C at a moderate 70 degrees.

Cost of heating from this October to mid-December was $300 in electrical charges compared to oil charge from last year at slightly over $1,000.

David, any other questions please feel free to ask on this Forum.
Glad to help in any way.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Happy New Year

In reply to: ACADIA Info

Kevin-
Can you shoot me an email at hermie3@gmail.com Thanks.

Rick

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.