Dell forum

General discussion

AC Adapter will not run computer

by Humphr90 / April 14, 2009 7:54 AM PDT

Hello,

I have a dell inspiron e1505 laptop and have had it for over 2.5 years. After some time i have been noticing a lot of wear and tear on the charger itself. The part where the charger connects to the computer is where the problem is. The AC adapter would no longer charge the battery BUT would run my laptop just fine. I noticed that the plastic covering had come off a little and that some exposed wires were fraying out. As soon as I noticed this, I thought i would save a few bucks and fix the problem myself. So i spliced the wires and reconnected them. There were 3 wires (Im assuming 1 for ground, 1for the laptop, and 1 for the battery??? not sure though). After I got everything soldered I plugged it into my laptop.There was a little "pop" sound from the computer as soon as i did this. OOPS!!

I think I wired the 3 connections wrong. I didnt have a voltmeter at this time so i just guessed. So now my battery is dead, my AC adapter is bad and I have no idea if i just fried my computer. I ordered a new battery and AC adapter.

The battery works perfect and my laptop does as well except for-- the adapter doesn't run the computer or charge the battery. Im thinking I must have shorted some connection out (between the power and battery). I took apart the laptop and have no idea what to do now.

Any suggestions would be assume!

ps. i noticed that as soon as i plug in the power, the lcd screen instantly brightens up but very faint and unnoticeably. Im thinking this isnt a very big problem to fix but I just dont know the schmatics of it.

Thanks for all of the help.

-Andrew

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AC Adapter will not run computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AC Adapter will not run computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!