Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

about to get a Mac - have a couple of questions

by videoguy220 / August 11, 2005 1:56 PM PDT

Hello everyone. I'm about to jump over from the dark side to a dual 2.0 G5 with 1 gig of ram. First of all, I'm assuming that this will be good enough to run Final Cut Studio which I'm also ordering with it. If not, please let me know.
My main question is regarding the video card; I'm thinking of the Radeon 9600Xt or the 9650 and the difference is only 59 dollars or something. I remember reading somewhere that the 9600XT was better than the more expensive one for some reason. Does anyone know about this or is it fake?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: about to get a Mac - have a couple of questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: about to get a Mac - have a couple of questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / August 11, 2005 2:52 PM PDT

Gaming wise-those cards really suck. Get the 6800ultra. lol. About your question, believe the 9650 is better.

Roger

Collapse -
gaming isn't a huge issue for me
by videoguy220 / August 11, 2005 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

In terms of gaming I'm not too concerned, as long as they're fine with Motion since I believe it's the most graphics intesnive program in the bundle. I can't really afford the best video card, but is there anyone who has used final cut studio with the configurations I'm intersted in?

Collapse -
Just a comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2005 12:14 AM PDT

Ask about the upgrade cost to Final Cut HD. Or the HD versions. Someone had some educational Final Cut version and was nonplused to find out it could not be upgraded. I am not familiar with the rules in such cases, but given the direction of TV land, you'll have HD capabilities.

Bob

Collapse -
Final Cut Pro
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 12, 2005 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a comment.

This program is already has HD capabilities, as does iMovie which is shipped with all new Macs, so there is no upgrade involved.
Apple does not "hobble" their software when it is sold as an Education package, so the "someone" may have misunderstood. Ed Packages carry the same licence as the regular one.
I just checked the Apple store and it shows an upgrade path for all the Final Cut/Final Cut Studio products.

P

Collapse -
Always good to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2005 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Final Cut Pro

I can't know all the particulars since the owner never showed me their CDs or such so I have to take it at their word they had what they claimed.

No I'm a bit wiser and will be able to help them better the next time.

-> I wonder if they had some pirated copy. You just never know.

bob

Collapse -
Mac - have a couple of questions
by jcrobso / August 12, 2005 3:59 AM PDT

Well video editing dose not need a high end video card.
Since rendering the video is processor intesive task not a video card task.
The stock card that came with my G4 does the job. But I did up the memory to 748mb.
I agree with Bob thing about the HD version. John

Collapse -
Already ordered Final Cut Studio
by videoguy220 / August 12, 2005 5:31 AM PDT

I just ordered FInal Cut Studio (so exited:), and I'm buying my Mac tomorrow at the Apple store.
I'm still wondering about the video card however. I did a Google search for it and apparently the 9650 is slower than the 9600XT, but has more memory. I am planning to use Motion 2 along with FCP, which I hear IS dependant on the video card for performance. Has anyone here tried motion with the 9600 or the 9650?
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?