Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

About to apply SP2 -- have disk

Being possibly the last guy in the Southern Hemisphere to apply SP2, I might be accused of excessive caution.

I seek last minute reassurance re the surest preparation.

I have saved all wanted data to an outside place. There are no programs that are listed as having problems with SP2.

I have the SP2 CD microsoft sent me.

I do suspect that there is a corruption in the Windows environment in one of the users and also in another abandoned one. The other 4 users work fine. However, I fear that this fact may lead to the 'big problems' some users encountered when they applied SP2. ??

I have run anti-spyware and latest virus defs for TrendMicro.

Any other preps before I run the SP2 CD? Should I have the computer disconnected from the Internet whilst the upgrade is proceeding?

Is the upgrade likely to break the home network ?(the upgrade will be on the Host of the network.)

Cheers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: About to apply SP2 -- have disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: About to apply SP2 -- have disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oh my...

In reply to: About to apply SP2 -- have disk

in the southern hemisphere... be sure to put the CD in the drawer with the label side toward the floor (your floor that is) as the disk label needs to be north side up... Devil

no, seriously, I have applied SP2 to a number of machines, and encountered no problems. Be aware that all the new security improvements will come to the fore as soon as you reboot and start nattering at you about your anti-virus programs and turning auto update on and yada yada yada. Dance the dance with all the dialogs and they will go away happy. Give them a cold shoulder, and they'll keep bugging you. Also, your assorted trust zones in internet explorer might get tightened up as the new default, but nothing will really break.

dw

Collapse -
Latest drivers

In reply to: oh my...

Make sure you have the latest for all your hardware including mobo and bios. If you strike any problems you can uninstall using add/remove program (but tick "show hotfixes". If you have a separate fire wall such as zonealarm, make sure you turn the XP one off.
Oh, and dont forget to make that "slip stream disk" which combines your old XP CD with SP2 to make a new XP installation CD.
Good luck

Collapse -
The slipsteam disk --- are there instructions

In reply to: Latest drivers

Are there instructions somewhere to make it?

Is it easy to apply the drivers? You mean even the DVDrom, soundcard Nvidia card etc?

Collapse -
Drivers and slipstream CD

In reply to: The slipsteam disk --- are there instructions

Here's a link on how to slipstream:-
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

As for drivers, yes, CDROM firmware, sound card, bios upgrade, motherboard drivers, graphics card.....SP2 comes with a lot of upgrade drivers, but if your computer manufacturer hasn't bothered to get their drivers certified you may have to get them from the manufacturer or the manufacturer of the individual components. For example, my motherboard is from AOPEN but the chipset is from Intel and the bios from Award. The last driver AOPEN supplied for the chipset was ver 3.47, yet Intel are still supplying the drivers and the latest version is about 4.55.
Peter

Collapse -
The details of the components -- not easy to see

In reply to: Drivers and slipstream CD

There is probably some list of all the parts and model numbers in the system but I can not locate. The device manager is coy:

I apparently have:
Computer: ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Processor: Intel 4 1.80 Ghz
System Devices; Intel 8280 (Inteface controller, SMBus Controller, PCI bridge etc all 828xx)

There is nothing about BIOS. The motherboard I guess is Intel but what model.

Is there not one place where these things can be seen and updated? The plurry Update Driver Wizard is really getting on my nerves. Or is it off to manufacturers' websites trying to spot my 3-year-old bits and pieces?

Collapse -
It's your lucky day

In reply to: The details of the components -- not easy to see

Collapse -
Unbelievable!

In reply to: It's your lucky day

This looks too good to be true. You have used this, Peter?

Collapse -
Is there a sequence to the installn

should I install these in any particular order?
eg BIOS then Motherboard drivers, or what?

BTW thanks for the tip off.

Collapse -
I haven't ever updated the BIOS

the computer was ordered june 2002. There are about 8 BIOS updates pre-dating the latest. Do they all have to be sequentially installed? Or can the latest version cover them all?

Faldown

Collapse -
Good question

In reply to: I haven't ever updated the BIOS

Update your bios first - Just use the latest update - be careful to read thje instructions when you flash the bios because there are no second chances.
Then install mother board drivers such as chipset and IDE drivers - for most things other than your bios you could possible wait for SP2 to install first - then if you have any problems update driver or just update at your own leasure - its a mixed bag because sometime SP2 comeup with drivers that dont seem readily available - but that is only on a few occations - you may find a lot of drivers sinse SP2 has been released are updates or bug fixes
In short flash your bios and DVD first - then install SP2 - then run live update - then check on your other drivers to make sure SP2 has given you the latest.
Peter

Collapse -
I need a second chance

In reply to: Good question

...."because there are no second chances" sounds ominous.

I am staring at a white screen background with only PTAP08EB.exe (the INTEL BIOS update for 845 chipset) sitting on it, looking like a death adder. If I don't go near it I can't get bit....'cept it's got my car keys.

There are no instructions prior to executing. Where will I find instructions. Are there obvious preparations I should do so I can carry out the instructions. ( You know, "Now insert the system disc you prepared earlier" or some such.)

Should I set a 'restore point'. If so, how do I do THAT.

Appreciated
Faldown

Collapse -
Run the file

In reply to: I need a second chance

It is probably a zip or self exstracting file - you should be able to use winzip and right click on it to see if it is an archive file - if not, go to the download site and look for instructions or tell me the site and I will have a look - even if you run the file it wont burn the image to your bios unless you give the OK - You see these bios upgrade usually comess in 2 different forms - you can have a separate "flashing" program + a data file, OR they combine the two together in one program fansy program - If the later is the case then the program usually has instructions or a help tab.
The only thing you have to worry about is if you get a power blackout after you push the burn button or for some reason your system crashes - also try and stop all programs that are excess to requirements from running at the same time.
YES, there is an element of risk involve - but as they say nothing ventured..... - after all we all have to lose our virginity at some point - and just think, if you are succesful you join the Xpert "flashers" club.
Peter

Collapse -
I read the releasenotes .pdf just under offered download

In reply to: Run the file

Collapse -
What I see..

In reply to: I read the releasenotes .pdf just under offered download

This is what I see:-
-----------------------
1. Intel

Collapse -
LOL

In reply to: I need a second chance

"If I don't go near it I can't get bit....'cept it's got my car keys". The analogy is well described, Happy

I hope it works for you with Pete's excellent instructions as a guide.

Mark

Collapse -
Disconnect

Definitely diconnect from your ISP. Afriend with a new HP laptop contracted four virii while loading live update from Norton.

Collapse -
Take a deep breath and....

press that <Eneter> key Doc. And you're not alone. My wife (much to my dismay) install SP2 on her machines with no problems (XP Pro). As many articles have stated, you might find some incompatability with some drivers and software. You seem to have done your homework and are prepared to take the plunge. Leaving your system on the Net should not pose any problems and you will want to do a windows update as there are new security updates not on your CD.

Now breath deep and slow... hold your chosen one's hand... take your blood pressure for later comparison... have any Valium?? <grin>... and let me know how it turns out <for when I take the plunge!!!

Jack

Collapse -
Yep, I agree with Jack

In reply to: Take a deep breath and....

Get a stiff drink handy, (I had half a bottle of Scotch on my table), and take the plunge.

By the way, did you know that the world is upside down?

Galacticly speaking that is.

The solar system is tilted at an angle to the Galactic plane and the Milky Way is seen as a thread of stars across the sky. But not from the Northern Hemisphere, only from the South, (and perhaps from near the equator, I'm not sure).

So, if convention in ages past had been that the Milky Way was visible from the top half of the world and not the bottom, then South would have been North, and vice versa. And the world we see now would be the wrong way up!

Happy

Mark

Collapse -
This is doing my head no good at all

In reply to: Yep, I agree with Jack

The Scotch is out. I'm a reformed alcoholic etc etc.

Now I have to re-orient my whole cosmic view and deal with this right-way-up thing. whooaaooh...

Anyway thanks for the encouragement.

Faldown

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) try telling that to an australian :-)

Collapse -
I know which way is up!

and the Milkyway is above Sydney - seen as a band of stars directly above - on a clear night its like a Magellanic cloud.

Peter

Collapse -
i may be the only voice in the wilderness, but

i would go against slipstreaming the SP2 with your XP...

for one very very simple reason, if and i say if something goes wrong, a slipstreamed SP2 install (and if someone can prove me wrong, please jump in) can't be uninstalled...

jonah "still bemoaning his lost CD drive" jones

Collapse -
Not if its just a repair

In reply to: i may be the only voice in the wilderness, but

But you mean uninstalled back to SP1 - the idea is having a slipstream disk for future purposes
If, in which case, one does a clean install, then yes SP1 will be lost - but there again so will everything else!
Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!