Speakeasy forum

General discussion

About those attack ads..........

It seems President Bush is willing to work with Republican Sen. John McCain and go to court to stop ...ALL... political ads by "shadowy" outside groups, amid growing pressure on the President to denounce attacks on John Kerry 's war record.

Appearantly a Bush spokesman told reporters that the President indicated that if court action is not successful, that the President would be willing to work with Senator McCain with legislative action.

The debate over Kerry's service in Vietnam has dominated the presidential race after the group "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" aired it's ads.

Banning ALL ads could mean deep trouble for Kerry as "Moveon.org" would also be gagged. Kerry only wants to see Swift Boat Veterans for the Truth gagged. Moveon.org is a major contributor for John Kerry and a prolific producer of attack ads directed toward President Bush. Kerry attended a number of Moveon.org fund raisers in the recent past. Moveon.org initiated and started all of this sleezy campaigning.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: About those attack ads..........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: About those attack ads..........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Personally ...

In reply to: About those attack ads..........

... I would like to see NOBODY gagged. As long as the sources of funding are transparent -- and we have to find a better way to expose this than people having to go to outfits like opensecrets.org of their own volition -- why should only the candidates and their surrogates get to speak? This whole system stinks. History has shown that the more restrictions the more loopholes and worse it gets. So remove the restrictions and increase the disclosure. Either that or the only fair thing would be to enact some sort of per capita limit to political "speech money" no matter where that money goes, to whom or for what. I'm not sure that is feasible.

I'm actually disconcerted by the blanket depiction of all 527's as "shadowy". I don't think that if the President is staying out of the fray by refusing to call Kerry's service anything but honorable that he should be even inadvertantly passing judgment on those veterans that disagree.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I could stand corrected,...

In reply to: Personally ...

...but it was my impression that the reference to ads applied to those not funded by the official campaigns.

But, as they are privately funded, I see no way of stopping them. The TV channelds and network need the money, so are not about to volunteer to not accept them.

Both sides have their web sites.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: I could stand corrected,...

In reply to: I could stand corrected,...

Exactly right, Angeline,

You or I could run an add supporting, or opposing a
candidate, anytime we cared to do so. That would be
a commercial transaction between private parties.

In the current situation, an add opposing is automatically
taken as supporting the other fellow.

Then the crying,...Mommy, make him stop.

Collapse -
I think the Dems must be really ticked!

In reply to: Personally ...

I'm sure they were counting on these groups and their tactics to help them win. Now, it's a two edged sword which is cutting them to shreds.

Collapse -
Re: About those attack ads..........

In reply to: About those attack ads..........

Kerry only wants to see Swift Boat Veterans for the Truth gagged.

I wasn't aware that he'd said that. Wow.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.