Resolved Question

About the Iphone

This may sound dumb to some viewers here, but here goes. Is it possible to use the iphone with all its apps that it offers, without the benefit of using it as a phone?

Discussion is locked
Boothbay has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: About the Iphone
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: About the Iphone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
About the Iphone

For me it is worth it.Me and my phone and it works well.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: apps

Yes, you can use it with WiFi for the necessary communication. But why not buy an iPod then?
To use it without WiFi for apps, you need a data plan from a cell phone company (like AT&T). And I'm afraid those don't come without voice-and-sms plan.

Kees

- Collapse -
apps

Why an IPOD? From what i understand its mainly for MP3 player and music...i don't care for music in that sense. I am more interested in the other apps that seem to be on the iphone...

- Collapse -
Apps on the ipod.

Without all the trouble of the iphone having no service and you pay much less for the ipod too.

Easy 300 buck savings.
Bob

- Collapse -
apps on the ipod

now I am really confused with all the latest gadgets...i did some research on ipods, and many rave about it...so then here comes my confusion...why all the hoopla about ipads...just what is the differences, other than prices?. Now some questions i need to know about the ipod...i do have wi-fi and its with my pccomputers...do i need an Apple computer to use it? The following info i found during my research which i do not understand:

"Requires a FaceTime-enabled Mac with an Internet connection or a FaceTime-enabled iOS device with a Wi-Fi connection. Not available in all areas. " What is that all about? Also, the specs did not say if their screen is resistive/capacitive or are they at all?

- Collapse -
Some differences

FWIW, you do not need an Apple computer to use these Apple devices. As long as you have wifi you are good to go. These are capacitive touch screens, btw.

iPod=compact device with smaller screen, some of the same features/apps as iPad & iPhone.

iPad=clearly popular from the larger screen, combined with the higher resolution display. Hence, $$$. A lot of folks try to do some of the same things they might do on their laptops but instead on this more svelte device that looks more cutting edge.

Would you mind showing me where you read that something 'requires a face-time enabled mac...' etc.? Perhaps you read partially about what is involved with a face time video call using one of the aforementioned devices. My family uses facetime between several different iOS devices in several states.

- Collapse -
Some Differences
- Collapse -
Typo on the Wally World site?

It's another reason why you shouldn't buy things from Wally World. They are quite good at mucking up things Wink.

On second look, perhaps it's an explanation of what they list as 'Face time video calling'. Makes sense since no Windows or Linux device can run FaceTime, only a Mac.

CNET Forums