Speakeasy forum

General discussion

About Non Smoking Laws

by Mac McMullen / April 8, 2007 12:10 PM PDT

The State of New Mexico will join other States and become ?Non-Smoking? in public places including bars, lounges and restaurants, eff June 15, 2007.

Of course, there is an amount of ?noise? about this move, from both sides of the argument.

What's your opinion regarding No Smoking ?

Do you reckon that Heaven is ?Non-Smoking? ?

Back in 1947 Merle Travis must have thought so when he wrote this chorus to a song:

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette
Puff, puff, puff until you smoke yourself to death.

Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate that you hate to make him wait,
But you just gotta have another cigarette

There are several versions of the song itself??One goes like this?..

Now I'm a fellow with a heart of gold
And the ways of a gentleman I've been told
Kind-of-a-guy that wouldn't even harm a flea

But if me and a certain character met
The guy that invented that cigarette
I'd murder that son-of-a gun in the first degree

It ain't cuz I don't smoke 'em myself
and I don't reckon that it'll hinder your health
I smoked 'em all my life and I ain't dead yet

But nicotine slaves are all the same
at a pettin' party or a poker game
Everything gotta stop while they have a cigarette
>

>
In a game of chance the other night
Old dame fortune was good and right
The kings and queens they kept on comin' around

Aw, I was hittin' em good and bettin' 'em high
But my bluff didn't work on a certain guy
He kept callin' and layin' his money down

See, he'd raise me then I'd raise him
and I'd say to him buddy ya gotta sink or swim
?..Finally called me but didn't raise the bet!

--Hmmph! I said Aces Full Pal -- I got you!
He said, "I'll pay up in a minute or two
But right now, i just gotta have another cigarette."
>

>
Now the other night I had a date
with the cutest little gal in any state
A high-bred, uptown, fancy little dame

She said she loved me and it seemd to me
That things were sorta like they oughtta be
So hand in hand we strolled down lovers lane

She was a long way from a chunk of ice
And our pettin' party was goin' real nice
And I got an idea I might have been there yet

So I give her a kiss and a little squeeze
Then she said, "Travis, Excuse me Please?
But I just gotta have a cigarette."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: About Non Smoking Laws
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: About Non Smoking Laws
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: About Non Smoking Laws
by caktus / April 8, 2007 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: About Non Smoking Laws

Why should one (any one) have to breath another's smoke? The associated health problems have been proven. Society needs to face the fact and learn to deal with it. Not just put up with it.

Collapse -
Quit myself years ago, but because I decided to do so
by Roger NC / April 8, 2007 12:39 PM PDT

not because someone bullied me into it.

Overall, I'd agree everyone is better not smoking, but there are a lot of things we do to hurt ourselves.

The next argument is harm to others or cost to society for treatment.

Ok, what about car stereos loud enough to damage hearing in the next car?

How about people who are so inconsiderate they irritate everyone around them and raise blood pressure and cause heartattacks (and rage reponses)?

How about overcrowding that "studies" show causes more violence and acts of rape, assault, and murder?

And on and on and on.

Lots of restrictions? maybe so. Almost all insurance now had higher deductibles if you smoke. Probably fair.

Should car insurance cost more if you have a cell phone? or screaming babies?

Home owners insurance will cost more depending on what rating your neighborhood gets, is that fair no matter what you do to maintain your own home?

Sorry, there is no perfect world. Smoking is not healthy. But it's a whipping boy too for those that want to do something in the news.

Roger

Collapse -
reply to: Quit
by caktus / April 8, 2007 1:42 PM PDT

After about 40 years of heavy smoking, I too managed to kick it. I probably couldn't begin to guess how many time I made what I believe were ernest attempts to quit. Finally, the last cessation method seemed to have made it a piece of cake. But then, I may have also been more committed to quiting.

Actually, the other problems you mentioned are all valid concerns. As far as I understand, insurance Co's do take the [insurance] concerns mentioned into account.

Collapse -
Ah, I used to enjoy a cigarette afterwards.
by John Robie / April 8, 2007 11:49 PM PDT

Been off them for about 5 years, but still crave...just one or two puffs will do...but can't.

Yesterday, Easter with relatives, on occasion I would stand downwind of the smokers outside just to get a whiff which smelled like perfume to me. Yeah, I know the grippers about second hand smoke being dangerous.

I believe it was Phil Harris or maybe Tex Beneke, maybe both that used to often sing "Smoke, Smoke, that cigarette" back in the early 50's.

I personally do not like laws against smoking. It is up to the individual. Smokers should have an area to smoke if they wish to do so.
Smoking in Heaven? Yeah, isn't that what heaven is all about. I don't think there will be separate areas for cigarette smokers.

Collapse -
Smoking or non
by Steven Haninger / April 9, 2007 2:43 AM PDT

is such a volatile subject that arguments about politics and religion can be meek by comparison. I've added the topic to my personal untouchable list.

Collapse -
(NT) Yet, here you are. ;_)
by caktus / April 9, 2007 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Smoking or non

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!