Speakeasy forum

General discussion

About Logan Airport

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: About Logan Airport
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: About Logan Airport
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: About Logan Airport

In reply to: About Logan Airport

Hi, Ed.

Really scary -- Kerry went through the proper chain of command to call the problem to the attention of the people assigned to fix it. What an idiot! Talk about your 20-20 hindsight -- w/o the Logan-based 9/11 attack, any action other than what he took would be criticized as being alarmist and attempting to use his station to interfere in matters that weren't his proper concern. I guess this is a "Kerry doesn't walk on water" film?

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Gee, one could make EXACTLY the same comment about

In reply to: Re: About Logan Airport

President Bush. He relied on the proper chain of command to function as it should. Any failure to do so would call his own competence into question.

The difference is that Kerry was told that the chain of command didn't work, but he used it anyway. Further, armed with that knowledge, he never followed up on what he knew to be a problem. No one has made that charge about President Bush.

Collapse -
Well at least you ...

got it right about Kerry being an idiot.

He had specifically been informed that doing what he did would get no action.

He then simply blew off any further responses to the concerned agents.

Of course Logan Airport had no significance or part in the events of 9/11 did it. Oh wait, it did have a small part EXACTLY as the warning indicated.

This failure of Kerry's is more significant than his 40 plus minutes of being "unable to think" or Moore's accusations about Bush's "7 minutes".

Had Kerry simply ACTED and followed up in accordance with the warnings of the agents 9/11 could well have been different--we will never know though BECAUSE he didn't ACT despite the warning.

That is YOUR CANDIDATE!

Collapse -
Re: About Logan Airport

In reply to: About Logan Airport

As the warning was important, I would have thought the official would have also given it to the other Senator from Massachusetts, the Governor, and a Representative or two. Covering all bases would have been a good idea, considering the seriousness of the warning.

Angeline

Collapse -
P.S.

....merely offers to pass Sullivan's warning on to the Transportation Department's inspector general ? even though Sullivan had made it clear in his letter that going to his old agency was a dead end. He and other agents, including Dzakovic, had complained about security lapses for years and got nowhere.

He suggested Kerry show the tape to peers on committees with FAA oversight. He even volunteered to testify before them

Was there anything to prevent him from notifying the Secretary of Transportation, which has oversight over the FAA?

While blame is being tossed about with abandon, looks like Transportation should be in the mix, along with the lack of cooperation between the CIA, FBI, etc. (I guess his going to the FBI wouldn't have helped, either.)

Angeline
Collapse -
Sure, there is potentially...

In reply to: P.S.

lots of "blame" to go around but that doesn't exonerate Kerry. Especially in view of his attacks on Bush for not investigating what intelligence sources provided.

I can however think of several good reasons that "the other Senator" might have been bypassed by the agents in looking for someone to get something done.

Collapse -
Re: Sure, there is potentially...

In reply to: Sure, there is potentially...

Again, politics raises its ugly head. If an official avoids passing on important information to some one because they don't like him (and by default doesn't like any MA house members), this sullies my impression of just how urgent that official believe his info was.

There is no evidence as to when Kerry was given the info. The staffer who accepted it may very well have been at fault, and, if so, Kerry could be guilty of hiring bad staffers.

But, there are those who choose to believe he ignored it, just as there are those who believe The President did not act quickly enough.

I see both opinions as being unfair, if not silly.

Angeline

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Sure, there is potentially...

No Evidence?

Did you read the photocopies of the letter and his response Angeline? Being on the Commerce and Transportation Committees (Kennedy wasn't) made Kerry a logical choice for the agents to go to with the info although one, Steve Elson, (the one who set up the TV sting Kerry claimed to have acted on although no agency actually did any investigating and Kerry never bothered checking on it) was turned away because he wasn't "a constituent".

The letter was dated May 7, 2001 and his response saying he had forwarded it to the office he was requested NOT to on the 26th of July.

Either he was aware of it and did nothing but treat it as a run of the mill letter from a constituent before signing his response over two month after the letter was received or he allows his staff to handle things without his knowledge. Either way this is not indicative of any real concern or attention to the matter DESPITE its implications. It does go a long way toward explaining how he managed to achieve 19 years in the Senate without authoring a single major bill. ( Kerry's Accomplishments )

He is a follower who goes with the flow which is NOT what a country needs in a leader.

Right after 9-11, he told the Boston Globe that he'd triggered an undercover probe of Logan security by the General Accounting Office in June 2001, based on the TV report.

Only, he wrote Sullivan no such thing in his July letter, stating only that he passed his warning and the tape on to Transportation, not GAO.

And GAO, the investigative arm of Congress, did not test security at Logan. (Kerry confessed he didn't know the outcome of the probe he says he initiated.)

Collapse -

Ed, I couldn't read those letters you posted-print too small and of poor quality for my eyes. Obviously, I did read the print article.

I make every effort to read what you and others post to reinforce opinions. So there is no need to question if I have, because I have, when I can read them.

Sorry, but I believe about half of what I read, a little more about what I hear. There are only 2 people in this he did/he/didn't who know the whole truth - Kerry and The President. I am suspicious of accusations made in the heat of campaigns.

Like happens (too) often with controversies, there will be books written, whether a year or 30 years from now that will muddy the waters even more. I do not expect my leaders to be saints, and neither of them are in this race.

My hope is that the terrible division that plagues our country can be resolved without a tragedy.

Another controversy on which we will have to agree to disagree.

Angeline

Collapse -

I make every effort to read what you and others post to reinforce opinions. So there is no need to question if I have, because I have, when I can read them.

That Angeline is why I asked if you hadn't read them and provided the dates they were written. You had mentioned your sight and reading problems previously in conjunction with the discussion where Louis's eye problems was mentioned.

This particular incident was initially brought up right after 9/11 and long before Kerry decided to become a candidate.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.